Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/9/2003 7:16:33 PM EDT
I wanna make a gong that will last and be safe.

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 7:24:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Oh boy...Freud would have a hayday with this one.

cynic
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 7:34:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a couple that my uncle made for me.

The one I use for rifles is made out of AR500 steel.  It is 10" in diameter and 2" thick welded to a peice of 1 inch pipe and on a swing arm.  Yes it is heavy but a 7mm Mag just puts dimples in it!

You can get away with 1" mild steel too.  
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 8:23:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Try your local scrap yard. I have made lots of gongs for cheap by going the scrap yard route. Sometimes they can tell which is the hardest stuff. If they cut the hardened stuff with a torch it will ruin the hardening for about an inch in from the edges.

You didn't specify for rifle or handgun. There is some overlap in sizes, but mostly you need different sizes for hand and long guns.

Shooting handguns at steel within 10 to 15 yards you WILL get splattered frequently. At longer distances you will occasionally catch some lead. This can be avoided to some extent by good design.

Especially for handguns, mount your bracket to hang the gong on the back at the top. This will cause the steel plate to tilt toward the shooter at a very slight angle, and the lead splash will generally go down.

Do you have access to a welder? If not I can show you how to make a good stand with just a saw and a screwdriver.

Does your gong and stand need to be portable?

You can email me if you want specifics.

Vic out.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 8:30:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Any rock quarrys around you? If so try to get an old worn out hammer from the hammer mill. That stuff is hard as a preachers dick and lasts like a bad haircut. Hang it from a chain and let it happen cap'n.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 8:35:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 8:36:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
That stuff is hard as a preachers dick . .
View Quote

How would know.........never mind, lOL
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 8:39:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm sorry ,back on topic,manhole covers?
They are cheap at the scrap yard.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 8:40:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 8:47:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Sorry, thought it said "Smoking Bong".

ED
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 8:48:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I wanna make a gong that will last and be safe.

Any suggestions?
View Quote

Get a hunk off an old Bulldozer blade. Been using them for years..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top