Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/9/2003 4:51:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/9/2003 11:21:24 PM EDT by raven]
Remember the fun of hurling 2 pound, steel-tipped darts in the back yard? Anyone still have their pre-bans? I looked on eBay. Nothing. Do they still sell them in Canada?
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 5:28:52 PM EDT
[url=http://www.jarts.com/guestbook.html]Lawn Darts[/url] It took some looking to find some since they were banned I think in '88. They arent supposed to be made or sold anymore so good luck finding some. This should be a good place to look for some.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 5:30:56 PM EDT
If you mean the small 1 pound darts "Jarts", my brother ecently found a set on Ebay. Keep looking.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 6:05:04 PM EDT
You can still find them once in a while at garage sales. Never have seen any blood on the tips of any of those for sale though.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 6:50:46 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 10:48:09 PM EDT
I remember some kid was killed or blinded by lawn-darts a few years ago. Since then I think the CPSC has ban the manufacture of them claiming they are a deadly menace.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 10:55:20 PM EDT
The fins broke off all mine back in the 90's. My friends cousin got hit with one, trying to catch it, not sure where tho.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 11:01:38 PM EDT
I thought this was gonna be about UH-60's... oh well... The Pig.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 11:07:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/9/2003 11:08:47 PM EDT by desertmoon]
There has never been nor will there EVER be a toy that equals the sheer Darwinian Brilliance of the Lawn Dart.....well....except for the plastic bag.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 11:11:42 PM EDT
I LOVED those things!!!! Wish I still had them. Don't know what happened to them, my parents probably sold them off way back when or threw them out.. [cuss]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 11:20:39 PM EDT
Originally Posted By warlord: I remember some kid was killed or blinded by lawn-darts a few years ago.
View Quote
Just blinded? The kid got off lucky. Some kids got their melon punctured by these things. My friend had some. His mom is such a frugal packrat, I am sure they still have them somewhere in their garage. She throws NOTHING out.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 12:17:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/10/2003 12:20:21 AM EDT by FishKepr]
At the time I worked in a sporting good store that sold guns and (gasp) lawn darts. Then that four year old kid got killed and POOF! The store instantly yanked them all off the shelves, later replacing them with a similar game but with huge badminton shuttlecock like things. They didn't sell nearly as well. BTW, we still sold guns after the Stockton schoolyard shooting, go figure....
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 12:41:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/10/2003 12:42:24 AM EDT by osprey21]
Another 'Toy of Death' !! [img]http://www.timewarptoys.com/jarts.jpg[/img] [:D]
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 4:42:38 AM EDT
I have what's left of a set. A ring is missing, and one of the darts is missing the back half of one fin. They are indeed great fun.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 5:04:23 AM EDT
Are JARTS still made in Canada?
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 5:05:12 AM EDT
F-16s have the unceremonious title of "Lawn Dart".
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 5:09:31 AM EDT
I remember those, but as with anything "fun", and may have the potential to be "dangerous", some lowlife POS will find a way to kill him/her self or someone else and ruin it for everyone [:(]
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 8:43:34 AM EDT
They are more fun when you use a grinder and really put a point on them.....do not use them unless you have consumed at least a case of beer..and then play mumble-peg with them..[banana]
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 8:46:40 AM EDT
We used to have a set for my Guard unit. Never go to the field without playing cards and Lawn Darts.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 8:50:52 AM EDT
We actually have a set at the firehouse. We]ve played too. Conincidentally, the ambulance is right there as well.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 8:54:00 AM EDT
yes, this is the only toy that was federally banned. unfortunately too. they are fun. but i have two complete sets i'd be willing to sell or trade. both in box with all pieces. email or IM if interested. thanks!
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 9:02:00 AM EDT
even funner when dipped in feces.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 9:30:27 AM EDT
I have seen them for sale. People want $50 to 100 for a set. Keep looking on Ebay but they won't be cheap.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 9:41:51 AM EDT
Originally Posted By redray: even funner when dipped in feces.
View Quote
pungi darts.... That ain't right. I'll have get back over to my MIL's, there was a lawn dart laying the yard last Sunday. And she's 70. Must have not been the catcher....
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 9:03:50 PM EDT
Originally Posted By racebaiter: yes, this is the only toy that was federally banned...
View Quote
Oh? please elaborate [:)]
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 9:27:53 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 10:04:16 PM EDT
Lawn darts are banned from sale on eBay, so no dice finding them on there. tony
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 10:42:53 PM EDT
They made a song about that a few years ago. "Pegged in the head with/by a lawn dart, lawn dart!, Her dad didn't see her, that's the worst part"..... Our mom took them away after someone poked a hole in the roof of the shed.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 11:05:36 PM EDT
When I was 12 (about 14 years ago) we were at a family reunion. A second cousin of mine was down range (they were tossing them about 40-50 yards) for the lawn darts and some how caught one in her mouth. It pierced her tounge, and the soft tissue under the tounge completly. As in went in her mouth and was sticking out the bottom, I didn't see the dart in it because she pulled it out immeadietly but I saw the hole in her tounge and under her chin. There was alot of blood and alot of crying. The lawn darts were put away that day. I think in some giant brain fart she was looking up trying to get closer to where they were going to land so she could bring them back up-range. My friends and I used to play in the back yard all the time.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 12:22:49 AM EDT
God may not play dice with the universe but I'll betcha ten bucks He plays Lawn Darts with stupid people. I'll bet He wins a lot, too!!!
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 7:36:46 AM EDT
speaking of evil, child-maiming toys, a few yeas ago i was listening to the radio andnthe DJs were talking about a recall on a toy called "dive-sticks". these were basically just plastic tubes, wieghted at one end and tossed into a pool. theoretically, the kid would dive into the water and grab the floating end and bring it back up to the surface. in practice, several kids were ANALLY IMPALED when they jumped into the water and hit the floting end of a dive-stick. it was so horrible i laughed for about ten minutes straight...
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 7:43:24 AM EDT
just found this article... Swimming Pool Dive Sticks Recalled Because of Risk of Impalement WASHINGTON, June 24, 1999 - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) and 15 firms are announcing the recall of more than 19 million dive sticks used in swimming pools. In shallow water, children can fall or land on a dive stick and suffer rectal or vaginal impalement. Facial and eye injuries also are possible when children attempt to retrieve the sticks under water. According to CPSC Chairman Ann Brown, these dives sticks are dangerous and should not be used. CPSC knows of six impalement injuries and one facial injury to children 6 to 9 years old. Although the number of reported incidents is relatively low, the severity of the injuries that have occurred is very significant. Three of the children suffered rectal and three suffered vaginal impalements from dive sticks placed in backyard pools or, in one case, a hot tub. In four of the six incidents, the injuries that occurred required surgery and hospitalization. The facial injury occurred when a child bobbed down to retrieve a dive stick and lacerated her face just below her eye, requiring stitches. The dive sticks being recalled are hard plastic and are either cylinder-shaped or shark-shaped. When dropped into water, the dive sticks sink to the bottom of a pool and stand upright so that children can swim or dive down and retrieve them. The cylinder-shaped plastic sticks measure about 4 to 8 inches long and about 1 inch or less in diameter. The shark-shaped plastic sticks measure about 7 inches long and have an egg-shaped bottom. The sticks come in a variety of colors. Most are packaged in kits of three to six sticks, and some are packaged with other pool diving games. These dive sticks have been sold at grocery, drug, pool and discount department stores nationwide for about $4 to $7 per set under numerous brand names, most of which do not appear on the dive stick itself. Consumers should stop using dive sticks immediately and throw them out. Depending on the sticks owned, consumers can receive a refund, replacement or repair.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 7:59:38 AM EDT
Originally Posted By anothergene:
Originally Posted By redray: even funner when dipped in feces.
View Quote
That's why they banned them, people stickin' them where they don't belong! [;)]
View Quote
Butt Darts? Barts?
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 8:10:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/11/2003 8:11:49 AM EDT by racebaiter]
Originally Posted By 7IDL:
Originally Posted By racebaiter: yes, this is the only toy that was federally banned...
View Quote
Oh? please elaborate [:)]
View Quote
[url]http://www.cpsc.gov/CPSCPUB/PREREL/prhtml88/88089.html[/url] generally, they issue a recall or an advisory. the mfg can then redesign the product. the darts were an outright ban with lawsuits brought against several retailers. note: i'm not asking for $50.00-$100.00 for either of my sets. i'd be happy with $25.00 shipped.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 8:17:25 AM EDT
We had a set of Jarts when I was a kid. They were fun! But at about age 12 I discovered that model rockets are a lot more fun.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 8:20:22 AM EDT
Someone please tell me I wasnt the only one to do this: I was an only child, so pulling the folks' set of Lawn Darts out and playing by yourself quickly loses interest. At some point, I discovered a wonderful variation of the game. I would stand on the ring and, using an underhand swing, toss the dart as hard as I could straight upwards in an effort to see if I could get it to land in the circle. It was also fun to see how far they could be embedded in the ground using the same toss technique. Learned a lot about release angles and aerodynamics with those things. At least I passed Darwin's test and quickly got out of the area in which said dart would be landing. Yes, I was an idiot. Wasn't the first time. Nor the last.
Top Top