User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 3:31:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Waiting on my form 1 for my Ronin Pro trap
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 3:32:57 PM EDT
[#2]
If you're going to spend $200 on a stamp, might just as well get the proper can to go along with it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 3:35:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Give away you say?

Link Posted: 9/1/2016 3:41:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you're going to spend $200 on a stamp, might just as well get the proper can to go along with it.
View Quote

How durable are these things? Rifle suppressor made out aluminum housings and aluminum baffles? (Form 1 approved, of course)
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 3:57:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

How durable are these things? Rifle suppressor made out aluminum housings and aluminum baffles? (Form 1 approved, of course)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you want to Form 1 DIY - other options out there like Titanium and/or Stainless 17-4PH for the tubes and insides.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 3:57:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is my question too.  I mean, does it really matter if the internals don't last forever if you can just replace the guts PRN?
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 4:26:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 5:19:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Why does having this freak people out so much? "Constructive intent" ?

If that was the case then everyone that has a hacksaw and rifle or shotgun is about 100 times more guilty of constructive intent because only one action is needed to make a SBS or SBR while this takes many actions and power tools to make a can.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 5:25:58 PM EDT
[#9]
That looks like a solid kit to make a simple form one can, but with my luck I'd buy one now to finish once I move and they will get raided approximately 20 minutes after my order ships. This kinda thing is something you should buy in cash, even with an approved form one in hand.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 5:28:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I strongly advise that you do NOT do what you were talking about in the portion of your post that I deleted and it wouldn't be a bad idea to edit your post, either. If you get a solvent trap, do NOT tell people that you plan to build a silencer without registering it. At that point, there is no rational argument against constructive intent. If you want to build a silencer, submit the Form 1 and pay the tax.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've always been interested in these things.  Mainly because I heard that while the law is the law in the area I live the state boys won't narc on you.

That said I still haven't the balls to do it.

I strongly advise that you do NOT do what you were talking about in the portion of your post that I deleted and it wouldn't be a bad idea to edit your post, either. If you get a solvent trap, do NOT tell people that you plan to build a silencer without registering it. At that point, there is no rational argument against constructive intent. If you want to build a silencer, submit the Form 1 and pay the tax.

Well that was the point of the "I don't have the balls" and "I wonder if people"  I'm literally not going buy it, my interest is purely speculative.  ATF be the original thought police yo.

Link Posted: 9/1/2016 5:33:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Could you just screw it on and "drill" the holes with a 55 grain .224 drill bit?
View Quote

These look a bit more stout than an oil filter.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 5:54:11 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

my first F1 was a coned freeze plug unit. its ok.. I learned quite a bit. the 2 I'm making now are TI/Alum K's and inconel/TI or 17-4 cones. Do it right the first time.
View Quote

Is anyone making a solvent trap setup with those materials? I don't own a lathe.... yet

Link Posted: 9/1/2016 5:57:33 PM EDT
[#13]

Tagged
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 6:19:51 PM EDT
[#14]
It's the kit I'm going to buy when the form 1 for a 308 can comes back in a year or so.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 6:29:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

If that was the case then everyone that has a hacksaw and rifle or shotgun is about 100 times more guilty of constructive intent because only one action is needed to make a SBS or SBR while this takes many actions and power tools to make a can.
View Quote

Lots of people, especially on here, and especially if they've paid the $200 crown-tax, hate freedom.

Imagine if you've registered a ton of stuff to Obama, not only paid, but volunteered information and money, and then all of a sudden something comes a long that makes you look like a chump.

There you go.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 6:35:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Lots of people, especially on here, and especially if they've paid the $200 crown-tax, hate freedom.

Imagine if you've registered a ton of stuff to Obama, not only paid, but volunteered information and money, and then all of a sudden something comes a long that makes you look like a chump.

There you go.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There you go.

I don't know a single possessor of a suppressor who would prefer suppressors stay regulated as NFA items. Not 1.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 6:41:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Holes. You drill holes at the center marked locations.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So how does it go from being a solvent trap to a suppressor?  Are there other internal parts and end cap that have to be bought or are they simply drilled out?

Wow, I didn't realize it was that easy.  

ETA:  Is it only the end plug that needs to remain undrilled?

I'm not interested in doing this as 41F is here and I'm not registering anything else.  I bought a pile of silencers though as they are pretty awesome.. Still have a few in jail.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 6:47:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I don't know a single possessor of a suppressor who would prefer suppressors stay regulated as NFA items. Not 1.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There you go.

+1

Gun stores would sell 10's of thousands of them a year, especially to hunters.  

Link Posted: 9/1/2016 6:52:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There you go.

Yeah, I don't get his point? I was talking about people worried about getting a visit from the ATF for owning this pre-registration.

Lets say I buy this and sit on it for 3 months before I get around to filing, what crime am I breaking? Like I said I own rifles, shotguns and a hacksaw so why is this looked at by some as criminal?
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 6:57:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I'm not interested in doing this as 41F is here and I'm not registering anything else.  I bought a pile of silencers though as they are pretty awesome.. Still have a few in jail.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So how does it go from being a solvent trap to a suppressor?  Are there other internal parts and end cap that have to be bought or are they simply drilled out?

If you did buy one, I wouldn't drill anything till you register it.

Personally, I don't think it is worth it because aren't some companies making cans in this price range? How is having this any better?
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 7:08:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Personally, I don't think it is worth it because aren't some companies making cans in this price range? How is having this any better?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I already have too many projects, but for the do-it-yourselfers, this is a neat hobby.

Link Posted: 9/1/2016 9:11:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Might make for a decent low volume 6.5G hunting can......

I'm seeing the cutaway view, the only thing not drilled is the endcap? Neat.

ETA: Errr, upon closer look the baffles need drilling too. Still neat.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 10:32:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

This is my question too.  I mean, does it really matter if the internals don't last forever if you can just replace the guts PRN?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It would not be legal to replace baffles yourself. You could have an SOT do it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 10:35:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There you go.

Yeah, but there are a lot of shit weasels who will rat people out if they think something is, or should be illegal.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 10:36:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

To become a solvent trap? Yes. I believe that it is perfectly legal to drill the cups out and leave the end cap solid, so long as you do not intend to make a silencer from it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 10:39:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

If you don't mind potentially blowing up your firearm?

Sure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Could you just screw it on and "drill" the holes with a 55 grain .224 drill bit?

If you don't mind potentially blowing up your firearm?

Sure.

Yeah, that's going to blast it right off the end of the barrel like a rifle grenade.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 10:45:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

That Sig "muzzle brake" didn't require any machining or tools to convert into a silencer. It was ready to go.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

and it was just a muzzle brake on that Sig...

That Sig "muzzle brake" didn't require any machining or tools to convert into a silencer. It was ready to go.

Bullshit.

It's an open muzzle break with no tube.

Link Posted: 9/2/2016 10:46:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Never mind
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 10:49:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Never mind
View Quote

Fill out the NFA paperwork and send the ATF $200.

Wait a year (or more) and receive your approved paperwork and stamp.

Drill out the centers and you are good to go.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 10:49:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

it's the atf, do you really need to ask?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hey, can you use that as a trap for lubricant?

I wonder how much longer thats gonna work before the ATF cracks down.

Why would they?

We could see if jrzy could write a letter.

Link Posted: 9/2/2016 10:53:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

I would guess that people like them because they can build exactly the can they want. The maglite tube sizes are pretty much standard now for Form 1 builds so you can source various parts from different suppliers. While you may be able to buy a $200 aluminum silencer, it might or might not be in stock at your dealer and it may be heavier than what you need or you may want a steel blast baffle and the $200 can uses an aluminum monocore*. In any case, people like options and people like tinkering.

*this is entirely speculative. I haven't seen these $200 silencers people are talking about so I have no idea how they are designed.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 11:00:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Bullshit.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/MPX-C-Detail-Hero.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

and it was just a muzzle brake on that Sig...

Bullshit.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/MPX-C-Detail-Hero.jpg

Exactly. The baffles and "end cap" were already drilled and all it required was a tube. Remember that to be a silencer, it doesn't have to perform well or be durable, it only has to muffle the sound of a shot and not blow up immediately. If someone slipped a tube of the right size over that thing and Krazy glued it on, it would last a few shots. If someone tried to shoot through one of these kits, it would immediately blow up and probably damage the gun as well as cause serious injury to the shooter.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 11:03:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Yeah, I already have too many projects, but for the do-it-yourselfers, this is a neat hobby.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

People like to tinker. The Form 1 hobby has morphed from .47 cent freeze plugs made with harbor freight tools to Titanium 60 degree cones at 25 bucks each. Just my .02

There is a video of a Member here, could not find it, bump firing a cheap home build, steel tube and freeze plugs build, very quiet, bump fired (Slide Fire IIRC) it a lot and did a good job,

his can was smoking like a chimney and red hot  It was a torture test

OK some one find that and post it up^
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 11:14:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

There you go.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There you go.

I mean, everyone I know who own suppressors bought it for the "looks." Not.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 11:15:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There you go.

This.  They have zero resale value.  There isn't any incentive to keep regulating them unless you are a statist and hate freedom.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 12:13:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There you go.

Indiana's recent change allowing 30 caliber rifles for deer hunting has created two new black rifle owners among my coworkers (ARs in 300BLK).  Many more are interested in owning suppressors, but don't "want their names on a list" or don't want to go through the hassle of the Form 1 process.

I'd love to see silencers deregulated.

Link Posted: 9/2/2016 12:35:46 PM EDT
[#37]
not a silencer BTW solvent trap unless you did something you shouldn't
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 12:47:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

They are fun projects. And they end up costing about half of what a commercial can costs for similar performance.

My DIY rifle can was about $400. Sounds the same as a YHM phatom I compared it too.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 12:47:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

My homebrew 22lr can is every bit as quiet as my buddy's Spectre II. The onky advantage the Spectre II has on my homebrew is that it has a smaller diameter, which is why I have one coming for my pistol. But the $100 homebrew can I keep on the 10/22 is awesome and I have no regrets with it at all.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 12:59:09 PM EDT
[#40]
So they improved the design but they're still making it out of shitty materials.  This isn't what you want for anything more than pistol calibers.  And it's way too big to use a handgun suppressor.

Link Posted: 9/2/2016 12:59:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Anything illegal about buying a few of these and cash selling them at a gun show for a profit.  Everyone wants one they just want to pay cash and not be on someones database.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 1:23:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

wait, seriously?  You can't replace a damaged or eroded baffle?  WTF is the logic in that?
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 1:32:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hey, can you use that as a trap for lubricant?

I wonder how much longer thats gonna work before the ATF cracks down.

Why would they?

Boom. Call out thread
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 1:33:30 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

wait, seriously?  You can't replace a damaged or eroded baffle?  WTF is the logic in that?
View Quote
Seriously. ATF has ruled that only manufacturers can repair suppressors.  As a maker or individual the most you're allowed to do is replace wipes.

Link Posted: 9/2/2016 1:35:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Seriously. ATF has ruled that only manufacturers can repair suppressors.  As a maker or individual the most you're allowed to do is replace wipes.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's retarded.  I assume if you did a form 1 and were the "manufacturer" of that suppressor, that doesn't count as a manufacturer that can repair.  neat
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 1:35:20 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Boom. Call out thread
View Quote
How many of jrzy's letters have turned out bad for us?
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 1:36:53 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
That's retarded.  Assume if you did a form 1 and were the "manufacturer" of that suppressor, that doesn't count as a manufacturer that can repair.  neat
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's retarded.  Assume if you did a form 1 and were the "manufacturer" of that suppressor, that doesn't count as a manufacturer that can repair.  neat
If you're filing a Form 1 you're not a manufacturer at all, you're a Maker.  Manufacturers are licensed, makers aren't.  And yes, the ATF makes a distinction between the two.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 2:24:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoting to make coping the links and images easier.  
Need to share with a friend.

Link Posted: 9/2/2016 2:39:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
not a silencer BTW solvent trap unless you did something you shouldn't
View Quote

Not yet it isn't. Not a solvent trap yet, either. When I get my form 1 back, I'll probably drill the baffles but not the end cap just so I can use it as a solvent trap before I make a silencer out of it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 2:42:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Boom. Call out thread

I mean, we can have shotguns with bell-ends for stocks now, so... Yay?
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top