Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 6:06:19 PM EDT
[#1]
'88 Civic CRX Si, stock.  I drive mine every day.  It is not a 'sports car', not enough torque,  but it has the horsepower to weight ratio of a bullet, double wishbone suspension, and is a peach of a car.

34-37 MPG.  (for the record max MPG was 41+ @ 90-120 MPH from Galveston to 50 miles north of Houston)

It is kinda hard to laugh at a gas sipper like mine that can move at 130 mph from the factory...and is a 19[b]88[/b] model.  

As for the 'fart can'... I just put a new muffler on My Crx.  I ordered a factory replacement because I want my car to look Stock, not custom.

Custom (ie.  Fins, decals, hood ornaments, racing tires) are just saying "Hey, Officer!  I planned to speed!  I am an idiot!"

Stealth is the key.  My car is fast enough to get me in to trouble, and Stock enough to make me look innocent.  [;)]

TRG
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 6:08:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Excuse me..(pulling my pants up around my chest)..these kids today don't know what fast is. If they took a ride in a fast car they would evacuate all over themselves. I have a factory stock 79 Corvette which is pretty durn fast by todays standards but in my day I could walk all over one with my 72 Olds 442 W30. Baadd sumbitch, 455 four barrel with ram air, around 500 ft lbs of torque, she would turn the rear tires over in second gear at 40 mph and that was a 3800 lb car. Those kids that think Honda's and Neon's are fast probably think a bolt action .22 is a tactical assault rifle.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 6:15:38 PM EDT
[#3]
You know, I'm the first person to sing the praises of cars like the Supra TT, 300ZX TT, RX-7, WRX, and EVO.

But when all that matters is an ET at the end of 1/4 mile these kids don't get it.  If you want to win street races, show up with a blown 454 "rat" in a rusted out Nova, running straight headers and 105 octane, and maybe a 75 shot of NO2.

Anything you can do to 4 cylinders @ 2L displacement can be made twice as effective at 5L+ and 8 cylinders.

Remember, I drive a WRX but I have no delusions of gradeur about beating a car set up for the 1/4.

That being said, when the road turns or bends those purpose built 1/4 mile machines can do NOTHING.  But that is not the race we are doing.....

It's straight line 1/4 mile race......nothing better than American muscle.  [:D]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 6:37:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I read that Vin Diesel wanted $20 million to do the sequel.

I guess that was just 2 Much 2 Ask.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 7:15:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Excuse me..(pulling my pants up around my chest)..these kids today don't know what fast is. If they took a ride in a fast car they would evacuate all over themselves. I have a factory stock 79 Corvette which is pretty durn fast by todays standards but in my day I could walk all over one with my 72 Olds 442 W30. Baadd sumbitch, 455 four barrel with ram air, around 500 ft lbs of torque, she would turn the rear tires over in second gear at 40 mph and that was a 3800 lb car. Those kids that think Honda's and Neon's are fast probably think a bolt action .22 is a tactical assault rifle.
View Quote

My dad had a 70's 455 Pontiac T/A that went thru rearends pretty often!!! Those motors rocked!!!!

My screen name says it all...I'm Tony, 68L36=1968 Vette with 427BB
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 7:22:30 PM EDT
[#6]
455 Pontiac T/A that went thru rearends pretty often!!! Those motors rocked!!!!
View Quote

They still do.[}:D][}:D]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 7:32:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
455 Pontiac T/A that went thru rearends pretty often!!! Those motors rocked!!!!
View Quote

They still do.[}:D][}:D]
View Quote

I assume from your name you have a 455???

I would love to get my hands on one of those, problem is that the prices on all the cool older cars are going thru the roof!!!!
My next project is gonna be a Cobra kit car with (I hate to admit it) a BB Ford 460...I just have to close on the house or the wife says no-go for any and all toys!!!

BTW Sorry for going off-topic AR15fan
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 8:06:02 PM EDT
[#8]
One of our truck drivers at work has a mint '71 'Cuda that he has saved for his kid to drive. Except......the kid won't touch it; he'd rather drive the civic. I told him that if it were me, I'd put the dumb bastard up for adoption.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 8:18:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why buy a $30k family car, drop $10-20K in mods when for $50k you can buy a car that is designed to be fast?(not to mention if you  mod it..HOLD ON! Can you say..Lightenfelter modded Zo6!)
View Quote

Your math is way off. More like buy a $5,000 sport compact, spend $3,000 on mods and beat $16,000.00 Mustangs all day.

The Dodge SRT-4, which is a riced out Neon, is the fastest car made for under $20,000.00. faster than the "classic" american V8 muscle car Ford Mustang GT. so dont dismiss the entire class, or some kid in a WRX Sti will blow your doors off.

Dodge (Neon) SRT-4
[url]http://www.auto1.hu/autoszalon/images/la_chrysler_05.jpg[/url]

WRX Sti
[url]http://www.auto1.hu/autoszalon/images/paris_subaru_01.jpg[/url]

View Quote

BUT...

You'll do even BETTER if you spend $6k on a 93-94 Trans Am (5.7L V8, 275-290HP stock) and $3k in upgrades... You'll have a 310-325HP car, and will blow the aforementioned 5k+3 sport-compact away... Especially if you do your own upgrades... There's alot more potential in the Chevy LT1 than your typical Neon or Civic...

Ditto for the Neon R/T and other 'factory hotrodded' econo-boxes. $16-17K will get you one hell of an early 4th-gen Trans Am or Z28 (working from 6-7K for the raw car, and $10k in mods)... Not to mention, the T/A just looks better than your average 'square-box-with-a-wing' (especially those 'shrunken-station-wagon' models, like the Vibe, Matrix, Focus, and Civic hatchback)...

[img]http://people.msoe.edu/~acklamd/phoenix_ii.jpg[/img]

(Six-Thousand-Dollar-Cars: What would you rather start with? A 17 second compact, or this mid-14 second 93 Trans Am?)

P.S.
A $16k (new) Mustang is a slow, V6 (or 4-banger, depending on the year) POS. Good ones (Cobras) are over $30k (and still slower than a comparable Firebird or Camaro, for years when both were produced)...

As for the Supra TT, 3000GT, Mazda RXes, Nissan Z, and such... Those are some nice sportscars, not ricer-mobiles... Principally because of the price... Most of the owners who modify them also know a thing or two about performance (or pay someone who does)... So you don't see the 'fart can on 1.25" exhaust system", bolt-a-bleacher-seat-wing to the trunk of a front-wheel-drive car, 'speed-enhancing' stickers, or the infamous audio-activated-speed-booster (i.e. the belief that having an 800watt stereo makes you go faster)...
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 8:32:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I live in Northern California, where the rice isn't growing wild...yet...but there's still a fair amount.

Slo5oh (occasional poster) had a pair of Mustangs.  he said he'd never had a sport compact beat him, and his were not "fast" mustangs (ie, > 11 sec 1/4's).  But that's what happens when you spend $4k on a used 'stang and the other $5000 on the engine [:)]

A mitsubishi Eclipse GSX (pre 99?, gen 1 or 2) could be made to do some serious 1/4 times for not too much money.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 8:48:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
But that's what happens when you spend $4k on a used 'stang and the other $5000 on the engine [:)]
View Quote

My point exactly... From the GM side, though...

And in both cases you get a base vehicle that's designed for speed... RWD, a sturdier build, better suspension, less stock parts that 'must' be replaced, etc...

Within a certain date-range (In the case of the F-body, it's 82-86, 87-92, 93-97, and 98-02) the engine is basically the same... So a 93 Trans Am is going to be just as good a starting-point as a 97, but a whole lot cheaper... Save the money, put it in upgrades, and away you go...

Exactly what I'd do, except I see my T/A as a future collector car, not a project... It stays stock, and once I can afford to retire it to collector status, the next car (newer Formula bird, probably) may get the speed treatment...
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 8:55:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You know, I'm the first person to sing the praises of cars like the Supra TT, 300ZX TT, RX-7, WRX, and EVO.

But when all that matters is an ET at the end of 1/4 mile these kids don't get it.  If you want to win street races, show up with a blown 454 "rat" in a rusted out Nova, running straight headers and 105 octane, and maybe a 75 shot of NO2.

Anything you can do to 4 cylinders @ 2L displacement can be made twice as effective at 5L+ and 8 cylinders.

Remember, I drive a WRX but I have no delusions of gradeur about beating a car set up for the 1/4.

That being said, when the road turns or bends those purpose built 1/4 mile machines can do NOTHING.  But that is not the race we are doing.....

It's straight line 1/4 mile race......nothing better than American muscle.  [:D]
View Quote

Massive horsepower don't mean nothing on the street if you can't hook the car up. In my younger days I beat many a car with a bigger engine because I was able to hook up and he just sat there roasting his tires.
Cubic Inches is not the end all.  Bob Glidden ran his 351 Clevelands destroking them down so he could get higher revs. out of the motor.
Dollar for dollar I would go with V-8 American muscle but I would'nt be naive enough to not think that there are rice wagons out there that flat haul in the 1/4.

Funny about comments regarding the movie car scenes as not being as realistic as the scenes from the first movie. In the first movie they used a lot of special effects and animation in the chase scences.  In the second movie the producers made a big deal out of the fact that they were using actual stunts in the chase scenes.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 8:57:47 PM EDT
[#13]
OK, and once and for all, N2O (nitrous oxide) is NOT flammable.  

I heard 2 guys talking after the first [s]Dumb and Dumber[/s] Fast and Furious came out that his car blew up like Vin's (sic) in the movie because of the NOS (said, not spelled out)...

I hate poser wannabe's.  All just a bunch of fucking sheep, who can't think for themselves.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 9:02:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Massive horsepower don't mean nothing on the street if you can't hook the car up. In my younger days I beat many a car with a bigger engine because I was able to hook up and he just sat there roasting his tires.
View Quote

Heh... Power that you can't control goes to waste... Massive HP is great, so long as you can drive well enough to put it to use... Your opponents were proof that money alone can't buy speed (they spent big bucks on big power, but couldn't control it well enough to get a good start), since you can't purchase driving ability from a speed shop...
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 6:02:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
...but I would'nt be naive enough to not think that there are rice wagons out there that flat haul in the 1/4.
View Quote

Nobody here is that naive.  I think anybody knows that you can hook a car up for any race with the proper application of $$$.

The car I had in mind when someone mentioned sub-11 sec 1/4 mile cars was the Bozz Racing Lancer EVO VII.

The car costs about $100K as it sat, but ran 10.9's in the 1/4 and could be used on a road course and a rally course.

It broke half way through the testing, but they had been running 1/4 mile sprints @ 10.9 with gravel tires .....  [shock]

You can make an '85 S-10 4x4 haul ass with enough money -- think surplus jet engines. [BD]
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 7:02:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Some time back, here or maybe the old TFL board, someone posted a link to  a site that featured a Chrysler minivan that was fitted with a turbo. The guy bought it used with 100K plus on the odometer, put the turbo on and drives it to the dragstrip where he smokes Camaros, Firebirds, and Mustangs. He runs in the mid 12-13(?) second range for the 1/4 mile. I can't imagine having a snazzy car and being thumped by a minivan. Embarassing!

Don in Ohio
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 7:09:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The first movie had better (more realistic) cars and race scenes.
View Quote

You consider their "10 second" cars in the first one to be realistic?

The new Ferrari Enzo still takes over 11 seconds to hit the 1/4 mile... some ricer with a few mods isn't going to do unless dropped from a cargo plane.  Hey...maybe that's what those gay rear wings are really for!  [thinking]
View Quote

If you don't think that you could get a Supra into the 10s with much more than a bigger turbo, IC, and injectors, you need to re-check your figures. I hate the ricers, but give credit where credit is due.

As far as the Enzo, or most other super cars for that matter, they are not geared, nor designed to run the 1/4. Not a fair comparison.
View Quote

HA! You need MUCH more than turbos and coolers to get that shit to run 10's. You'd need AT THE BARE MINIMUM 700 bhp to make it CLOSE to 10 with perfect gear ratios and shifting for the driver. The Enzo has a wider gear ratio than would any supra, and thus tops out (best guess) about 40-50 mph higher than that supra, but does not accelerate as fast. As far as flames shooting out the tailpipes, there are kits to make it happen. You can install kits that look much like the NOS kits in the movie, with the button on the steering wheel. I don't know the specifics, but it involves a propane injection near the end of the exhaust.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 7:13:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Your math is way off. More like buy a $5,000 sport compact, spend $3,000 on mods and beat $16,000.00 Mustangs all day.
View Quote

Umm... what exactly would you spend that 3,000 on?
View Quote

DEFINITELY the HUGE WING to put on the FRONT WHEEL DRIVE car. Oh ya, rice out baby.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 7:19:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
HA! You need MUCH more than turbos and coolers to get that shit to run 10's. You'd need AT THE BARE MINIMUM 700 bhp to make it CLOSE to 10 with perfect gear ratios and shifting for the driver.
View Quote

Wow, so how do 130hp motorcycles break 11's???  You forgot to mention weight. [BD]

BTW, there are Supras running 800hp+ with JUST bigger turbos, intercoolers, engine management, exhaust work -- not minimal dollars but minimal changes -- a true street driven 800hp Supra would likely run $20K in mods -- to make sure you didn't cook the motor.  So I'm not sure if you have any idea what you are talking about in relation to a Toyota Supra TT.  You may know quite a bit about drag racing, etc, but you obviously need a bit of help in regards to the specific power capabilities of the Toyota Supra TT.

Ed
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 7:32:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Just for shits and giggles Chapman....here is a totally hypothetical bench racing guide that I sometimes use to do a BS test.

[url=http://www.web-cars.com/math/qtr_mile.html]Auto ET/HP Math[/url]

A 3200lb Supra TT would need 607hp at the crank to get a 10.99.  In theory.  Since we are bench racing anyway this is as good as anything else.

625hp is considered on the [b][blue]low[/b][/blue] end for a tuned Supra.  Sorry. [:(]
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 7:43:59 AM EDT
[#21]
[b]You can make an '85 S-10 4x4 haul ass with enough money -- think surplus jet engines.[/b]

boy! you guyz just wait untill i rice out my '89 s-10 into the ultimate "sports car"!

okay...i need some donations...fast!

who's gonna pony up a pratt & whitney 300? and i need a set of those fake 3-piece, chrome plated, steel rims...the bologna slicer type preferrably.

and if anyone can donate the empenage off a p-51 mustang, i'm sure i can turn it into the coolest wing in all ricedom.

you decal guys....send me all the cool kangi decals you can find! i gots ta cover up the rust holes in a cool fashion.

and if someone that's handy with a torch could make me fart can outta a 5-gallon pail, i'ld mount it in a heartbeat.

oh...i really would like a set of clear tail light lense covers and some pink windshield wipers, to...and a kia emblem i can screw onto the hood would be badazz!

i'll spring for the underchassis neon lighting and fill the bed with cheap jap amps and infinity holsonic speakers.

c'mon guys...if those civics are doing 10's, i know we can break into the 8's!!!!
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 7:52:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
c'mon guys...if those civics are doing 10's, i know we can break into the 8's!!!!
View Quote

8's?  Yo, you be slippn' yo.  My buddy with the Honda del Sol.......
[church lady]Nevermind.[/church lady]

[lol]

Link Posted: 6/10/2003 7:56:00 AM EDT
[#23]
[b]In theory.[/b]

in theory, a bumble bee has no aerodynamic flight abilities.

the bs stops when the time slips and receipts get posted.

$20k in mods + a big bucks tt soopra? just to break into the high 10's? does that price include the cost the roll cage, fire system and harness that tracks require for sub-12 second cars (at least they do in my area)?
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 8:00:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
HA! You need MUCH more than turbos and coolers to get that shit to run 10's. You'd need AT THE BARE MINIMUM 700 bhp to make it CLOSE to 10 with perfect gear ratios and shifting for the driver.
View Quote

Wow, so how do 130hp motorcycles break 11's???  You forgot to mention weight. [BD]

BTW, there are Supras running 800hp+ with JUST bigger turbos, intercoolers, engine management, exhaust work -- not minimal dollars but minimal changes -- a true street driven 800hp Supra would likely run $20K in mods -- to make sure you didn't cook the motor.  So I'm not sure if you have any idea what you are talking about in relation to a Toyota Supra TT.  You may know quite a bit about drag racing, etc, but you obviously need a bit of help in regards to the specific power capabilities of the Toyota Supra TT.

Ed
View Quote

Erm, mid 90hp Bikes (600's) break 11s.  And that is Stock out of the crate.

I had a idiot in a Mustang who kept trying to race me the other night.  We caught a bad timing on a long run of lights and were side by side for about 4, every light he would rev up, spin tires, etc, All I did was stay right beside him, never tried to really beat him never even reved it into the real power band of my bike, just kept even with his front bumper to 10 above the speed limit then I would back off.  Sad thing for him was he didnt notice the cop pull up behind me at the last light, went he hit it at that light I simply pulled to the right and let the cop by.

Link Posted: 6/10/2003 8:17:33 AM EDT
[#25]
how you too can make flames shoot out of your tailpipes:

they do that by killing power to the motor, no spark to ignite the gas but the motor still spins, forcing raw fuel out the exhaust.  this raw fuel is ignited by a spark plug put in the exhaust pipe powered by a seperate activated ignition.

however, you run your motor at speed too long without spark and you can wash out your oil.............engines without oil dont do well

im just gonna leave it to zz top, they've got way more money than me
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 8:30:10 AM EDT
[#26]
I'll grant Supras can be made fast cheap, but they can't be driven at those levels all the time. Most of the 800+hp Supras don't turn that power unless they're racing, they just turn the boost way down for daily driving. Basically like nitrous. For the price of the mods, I can have a Firebird/Camaro that will smoke it, handle just as well, and turns the power all the time. ther is no replacement for displacement. 500 CAD will pull 500 ft/lbs 400 horse stock!! Almost a bolt in for the lowly Camaro. $200 for the whole Caddy, part it out and the engine is free.

The smaller cars can be made to run in the 10s, but the engines and trannys are grenades with the pins pulled.

If you're going to the 100k range there is only 1 word-Lingenfelter. 9 second street car with a 2 year warranty.

S-10s are nothing to joke about. I used to know several people who made serious cash running them with a vortec 6. Lots of 10 second S10s arround.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 8:35:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
[b]In theory.[/b]

$20k in mods + a big bucks tt soopra? just to break into the high 10's? does that price include the cost the roll cage, fire system and harness that tracks require for sub-12 second cars (at least they do in my area)?
View Quote

Are you deaf, dumb and blind to all things not-American?  I venture a guess at, "NO".  But only in relation to AK's....apparently anything automotive, and made somewhere in Japan just can't be good enough.  Maybe the guys throwing that much money in to a Supra already have done the Mustangs, the Cudas, the GTO's, the Chevelles, the Camaro's etc.....maybe they are tired of the same old same old.  Maybe they have a lot more money than we can imagine and just want a challenge, instead of going to Bubba's Shop of Speed for a bolt on Paxton Blower for a '93 LX 5.0.  Ever think that shit is played out?  I am so sick of every Joe 17 year old automech class guru driving around in a Mustang 5.0 with SVT rims and a x-pipe with no mufflers or a '94 Camaro Z28 T-top driving around with a quad exhaust like I see on the offshore racing boats with triple 502's, running Corvette rims with Pep Boy's futura tires that they got for $27.95/each which included mounting and balancing and a lifetime warranty.

I'm not a Supra guy, hell I'm not even an import car racing guy.  I've never been to an Import night at the drag strip.  I've been to countless mountain motor nationals, tuner night, run what ya brungs, NHRA regionals, etc etc etc etc.....not to mention a bazillon local yocal car shows at the local Jerry's subs and pizza.

I can't give you a run down on what it takes to make a Supra get in the 10's.  BTW, I said street driven -- read: daily driver.  I would be willing to bet you could take a rusted out 93 Supra -- which I saw one yesterday for $2000 with a good motor -- and add about $5000 in mods to it and run for a few months every weekend before you needed some work probably in the 11's maybe 10.99.....

But then again you could just keep rehashing the same old, same old and buy a fox body Mustang and make a car in the 12's for $5000. And then you could be like every other Joe Redneck who ever took auto shop in the 10th grade.

I'll never put a sticker on my car that is not required by the state/county.  I refuse to have an exhaust on a four cylinder motor that makes the car sound like a pissed off weedeater.

Those few traits set me apart from all the
"old school" guys with their 5.0 Mustangs and from all the Rice Boi's with their graphics and body kits and fart tip mufflers......

It obviously doesn't take $20K to transform a 320hp Supra in to a 10's or 11's car, that Minivan mentioned above did it on a couple thousand.

Can you get off your "old school" high horse yet?
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 9:27:15 AM EDT
[#28]
[b]Are you deaf, dumb and blind to all things not-American?[/b]

nope. got some nice collections of bicycles, guns, tools, agricultural implements and bunches of other stuff from across those large ponds.

[b]I venture a guess at, "NO".[/b]

you venture correctly.

[b]But only in relation to AK's[/b]

see above.

[b]....apparently anything automotive, and made somewhere in Japan just can't be good enough.[/b]

i had an '86 crx dx model. does that count? my '92 suzi gsxr 1100, while not "automotive", did play in the same arena. can you count that one? how's about my rusty s-10...made in canada. the bmw 325is in the garage? the jetta in my drive? guess i am really a biased human being. perhaps i should sell off all my sony gear?

[b]Can you get off your "old school" high horse yet?[/b]

nope. too old and too expirienced. a supra is just a recycled beer can econobox no matter how many turbo's and nos bottles you hang off it.

[b]But then again you could just keep rehashing the same old, same old and buy a fox body Mustang and make a car in the 12's for $5000. And then you could be like every other Joe Redneck who ever took auto shop in the 10th grade.[/b]

yup. without the need for a sheepskin, twin garretts, air-to-water intercoolers and a $85k income, those "rednecks" are smart enough to have mastered common sense.

[old school]speed costs. how fast do you want to go?[/old school]

[new school]i want to go as fast as the old school dude. show me how to spend money by the wheelbarrow full.[/new school]

hey! i've got an idea! give me $20k. i wanna make my bimmer "faster & furiuoser"! (blatently stolen cool phrase!) i just know we can swipe some "kompressor" badges off a benz and plumb in a pair of big garretts...maybe put the air-to-air intercoolers in the wing! cool, huh? man, if my slow ass reaction times can still cut down that tree, i KNOW we can get the black beauty into the 10's!

or...is my fiero a better base to build a really "cool" car off of?

j/k....i'm gonna really go "out there" and put stickers all over my cherokee, lower it and stuff an old 401/torqueflite under the hood! lol!

Link Posted: 6/10/2003 9:38:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
a supra is just a recycled beer can econobox no matter how many turbo's and nos bottles you hang off it.
View Quote

Wrong, Campy, wrong.  The last gen Supra was designed from the outset to be a RWD performance car.  With a factory forged rotating assembly on the turbo model, it's one tough inline-six.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 9:41:41 AM EDT
[#30]
[b]it's one tough inline-six[/b]

the prosecution rests, your honor.

chuck...in case you haven't guessed, i'm just having some fun.

you drive/appreciate whatever trips your trigger.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 9:49:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

you drive/appreciate whatever trips your trigger.
View Quote

Likewise.  I'm a V8 man who's just trying to keep the facts straight.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 9:51:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
You'll do even BETTER if you spend $6k on a 93-94 Trans Am (5.7L V8, 275-290HP stock) and $3k in upgrades... You'll have a 310-325HP car, and will blow the aforementioned 5k+3 sport-compact away...
View Quote

I used to like the F-Bodies. I drove a 305-HP 1997 Pontiac Formula WS6 for 5 years. The "monsoon" stereo system consistantly blew the left rear pilar speaker. The Intake manifold gasket leaked. Always replaced undrr warranty, but as soon as I got it about 120MPH it would always blow again. The windshield leaked, so the drivers floorboard would get wet every time I washed it. Pontiac tried repeatedly to fix that problem and never did. The cars body was a mix of plastic, metal, and fiberglass, and the black paint faded at different rates for each material. So by the 3rd year it was a 3 tone car. In short, owning the Pontiac was a nightmare. The 2.5 Liter 4 banger I drive now is more reliable, only a couple seconds slower in the 1/4 mile, and is actually more fun to drive.

Plus, Women like sport compacts alot more than F-Bodies too. Tell some woman you just met that you drive a Camero/Firebird/Trans Am, she will immediately picture you with a mullett and wearing a wife beater..
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 9:57:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
You'll do even BETTER if you spend $6k on a 93-94 Trans Am (5.7L V8, 275-290HP stock) and $3k in upgrades... You'll have a 310-325HP car, and will blow the aforementioned 5k+3 sport-compact away...
View Quote

I used to like the F-Bodies. I drove a 305-HP 1997 Pontiac Formula WS6 for 5 years. The "monsoon" stereo system consistantly blew the left rear pilar speaker. The Intake manifold gasket leaked. Always replaced undrr warranty, but as soon as I got it about 120MPH it would always blow again. The windshield leaked, so the drivers floorboard would get wet every time I washed it. Pontiac tried repeatedly to fix that problem and never did. The cars body was a mix of plastic, metal, and fiberglass, and the black paint faded at different rates for each material. So by the 3rd year it was a 3 tone car. In short, owning the Pontiac was a nightmare. The 2.5 Liter 4 banger I drive now is more reliable, only a couple seconds slower in the 1/4 mile, and is actually more fun to drive.  
View Quote

I drive an '02 Camaro SS with the LS1 engine.  I haven't had any mechanical problems yet (knock on wood) but the fit and finish is borderline terrible.

A couple seconds in the 1/4 is an eternity, brother.  [:D]
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 9:58:18 AM EDT
[#34]
agreed chuck.

as stated above, i've owned jap products for years and i would buy them again.

never, ever would i plunk $20k down on speed parts for an expensive supra just so i could keep up with a '69 nova the kid down the street pieced together with his drive-thru-window money.

[b]A couple seconds in the 1/4 is an eternity, brother.[/b]

amen!
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 10:05:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
A couple seconds in the 1/4 is an eternity, brother.  [:D]
View Quote

I agree. But straight line acceleration is only a small part of performance. How well a car stops and turns is equally important in a street race.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 10:06:17 AM EDT
[#36]
Campy.....as I curse you loudly.....I am also laughing my ass off.[rofl]

You remind me of my dad a bit......
Stubborn as a mule and half as smart.[;)]  Well at least when applied to these "new fangled" cars these days.

Supra = Econobox......[lol]

I'd be willing to guess that, when new, the Supra cost more, and had nicer "furnishings", than some people's primary residences.[peep]
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 10:10:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
never, ever would i plunk $20k down on speed parts for an expensive supra just so i could keep up with a '69 nova...
View Quote

Campy.....I used a hypothetical number for a daily driver type 800hp Supra, by no means do you need $20K to make a beater Supra in to a 69-Nova-beater-trailer-to-the-strip-car-cause-the-engine-can't-run-for-more-than-1/4mile-at-a-time-car.

So drop the figure from the comparison already.  Hypothetical of doing a job right and not a shade tree mech doing it for winning $100 at a "tree race" on Friday nights.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 10:32:17 AM EDT
[#38]
[b]Campy.....as I curse you loudly.....[/b]

wouldn't be the first time...won't be the last...i'm an ass!

[b]I am also laughing my ass off.[/b]

that was my intent.

[b]You remind me of my dad a bit......[/b]

i remind myself of my father, also.

[b]Stubborn as a mule and half as smart.[/b]

i'll take that as a compliment. most folks just call me a jackass, though.

[b]Well at least when applied to these "new fangled" cars these days.[/b]

if it has less than 400 cubes, don't have a 4-bbl. and points, i'm not sure they ARE cars. perhaps technological wonders of modern engineers on lsd?

[b]Supra = Econobox......[/b]

ok...ok! so they dropped the base 4-hole'r! it STILL has its' roots firmly planted in the same field that gave us the corolla, corona, camry, cillycar..er...celica...and a bunch of other tin cans that started with "c". (chevy name envy!)

[b]I'd be willing to guess that, when new, the Supra cost more, and had nicer "furnishings", than some people's primary residences.[/b]

my point, exactly. whether in the stripped down econo box 4-hole'r mode or delivered in pimp-daddy mode, complete with gps screen, leather (*seating area only legal disclaimer), cruise, tilt, power lifts, 8-way seats, electrically heated/movable mirrors with memory, inflatable lumbar support, plush cut pile carpeting and perhaps the power moon roof and naugahyde (comes from real nauga's, ya know) wrapped steering wheel...neither are "performance" vehicles. a optioned out cillycar by any other name.

and what?!?!?! indoor plumbing is now standard equipment in a soopra???!!! i suppose the wiley nips had to stay one step ahead of the citroen and renault boyz.

yes...they "perform". but, so does a '62 eldorado biarritz with tri-power and a '63 falcon with a 260/4-gear.

damn...i must be getting old!

get yer ass up to bulletfest and i'll let you cruise in the ultimate vehicle...my '85, shit brown citation aeroback!!! yeah...not only is it slow & anythingbutfurious...it's a babe magnet!
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 10:59:19 AM EDT
[#39]
Funny to see all this conversation about cars from gun nuts...seems to be our usual #2 vice/hobby...

I owned a 96 3000GT TT VR4 at 18, and only kept it for a year. With intake, boost control, and full exhaust, it would run 13 flat, and if I remember correctly, 165-170 mph.

Then I bought a sportbike (R6), sold the VR4, and got a WRX.

All things are relative. A sportbike will blow the doors off of any unmodified production street car (see: not a mclaren) in a heartbeat, for 8-9k out the door.

The WRX is a fantastic car, unique, and with the boost controller and exhaust it now has, runs as fast as my VR4 did stock.

I still am captivated by Saleen mustangs however...dont even get me started on my love of the ZO6...

(edited for grammar)
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 11:36:38 AM EDT
[#40]
before ar15.com i spent my online life in aol car chat arguing this shit daily

chuckhammer, if you dont want that car, i'll take it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i for one, would rather have the illusion of speed than speed itself.  allow me to explain in my terms...........GM.  GM made a supercharged s-10 years ago that would blow damn near anything off the road, early awd, super power to weight ratio, etc......  you put the hammer down on that little truck and you were at speed in no time, hooked up perfectly.  thats just not for me.  i would have rather had the slower 454 SS of the same era.  why?  cause i'd rather have the torque to kill a set of rear tires at will than just be quick or fast.  nothing i enjoy more than the howl of a big v-8 and enough torque to snap a rear end.  the truck i have now is an example.  '01 crew cab 4x4 2500HD, huge, heavy truck, but the bastard has the torque to light the rear tires even with all the tools and everything in the back.

if i had my druthers however, give me a '70 chevelle ss ls6 454, best of both worlds
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 12:14:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
chuckhammer, if you dont want that car, i'll take it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
View Quote

[;)]
It's actually for sale if you or anyone you know is interested.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 12:29:12 PM EDT
[#42]
In case anyone missed it ... Winning races and getting the honeys.

[url]http://uk.geocities.com/david_clarke_2k/honda.html[/url]
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 12:46:49 PM EDT
[#43]
I'll take torque over horsepower also. You just can't get that big block torque out of the short stroke import engines. Almost any automobile engine will turn out big horsepower numbers if you can turn it fast enough. I could probably get 50 hp out of my 4 hp lawnmower if I could get it to turn 10,0000-12,000 rpm's. The beauty of the big block engine is it makes good horsepower and torque at low rpm's, it just takes them a little longer to get all of that mass rotating. The quickest car I ever drove was a 1987 Buick Grand National, 3.8 litre, turbo-charged, intercooled, sequential port fuel injected, factory stock it would almost get sideways when it shifted to second gear at wide open throttle. The car felt very light, it was scary to drive on a wet road because the rear end would break loose with very little throttle. I worked for Buick that year, they introduced a even faster model called the GNX, bigger turbo, bigger intercooler, stiffer body and aluminum differential, limited production to 500 units, each of the top selling dealers recieved exactly one. The dealer I worked for had that one sold 3 months in advance, paid in full for sticker price. Buick reported that the Grand National was the fastest car from 0-60 at that time (including the Porsche's and Ferrari's) at 4.9 seconds. I don't recall the horsepower or the torque ratings on the GN but, I remember when I hit the throttle the engine would rev to 7000 rpm's right now and if I was taking off from a stop both rear tires would light up and the rear end would start coming around.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 12:54:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Save your money, don't even rent it. If you want to see a cool car movie rent "Ronin" again or even "The Transporter."

View Quote

Hell Yea!!!! [headbang] Ronin made me fall in love with the Audi A4.....what beautiful vehicle.

Thanks for the review, man. You saved me 10 bucks.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 12:56:35 PM EDT
[#45]
[url]http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=776885[/url]

Nissan Sentra 0-60 in under 5 seconds.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 1:06:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Now that was funny.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 1:20:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

That was funny! But the 2.0L engine in the Sentra SE responds really well to any of the several available Turbos for this engine.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 1:21:59 PM EDT
[#48]
What excellent argumentation! hehe...

I gotta question here...

If these Rice Boxes are so good, why the hell can't they sound good? They all sound like freakin model airplanes! They sound better with the stock exhaust too. People put custom exhaust systems on them and they sound WORSE! WTF????? Gimme the filling-loosening rumble of a big block V-8 any day.

Last week the wife and I went to the Hot Rod and Custom Nationals in Laconia, NH. The drool factor of that show was off the charts.  There was more muscle there than a World's Strongest Man contest. I didn't see any Supras or Civics there.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 1:30:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I didn't see any Supras or Civics there.
View Quote

[>:/]

You probably also didn't see any Whalers, Fountains, or ChrisCrafts there either.

I'm guessing not a Kubota, John Deere, or Skaggs to be seen.

Likely not a Whirlpool, Emana, KitchenAid, or Hotpoint in the whole show.

I bet you couldn't buy a Husqvarna, Stihl, or Poulan if you were offering 5x list.

Funny how that works....huh?  
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 1:50:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top