Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/9/2003 10:30:53 AM EDT
The other day, a kid showed up visiting a neighbor's kid. The visitor was driving a '79 MGB. I owned a '63 MGB on '70 and have not driven one since about'71 when the damned thing blew a piston on me. It took me about 3 seconds to talk the kid into giving ma a ride, and 15 seconds later he asked me if I wanted to drive it. Stiffly sprung, with non power rack and pinon steering, and a 4 speed, this was driving at it's basic.The fact that the ragtop was down made it sweeter, yet. The next 40 minutes were a joy. I headed out to a pretty winding road with a 45-50 speed limit and started working out the fragile little gearbox, catching every shift as smooth as silk,, winding it up a bit to catch my downshifts. I also taught the kid a few things about babying the thing and driving it smoothly. The kid was impressed, and even told me that I was smoother than an automatic transmission! I have to admit, I impressed myself quite a bit. I also admit, I cornered it a little hard a couple of times, but never broke traction. I've forgotten how much fun it is to drive an old British sports car. I was pleased to find that I hadn't even gotten rusty, It was like I drove one yesterday. Such a car is wasted on the young and ought to be reserved for a middle aged guy that has respect for machinery. Like me.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 10:53:18 AM EDT
Love those British sports cars. At least as long as you don't have to depend on them day in and day out. I had a new 1970 TR-6 when I was a kid. Navy blue with red pin stripes and a white rag top. White boy bling bling all the way. Never owned a better pu**y mobile. We used to eat those 4 cylinder MG's for breakfast
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 11:04:38 AM EDT
Originally Posted By piccolo: The other day, a kid showed up visiting a neighbor's kid. The visitor was driving a '79 MGB. I owned a '63 MGB on '70 and have not driven one since about'71 when the damned thing blew a piston on me.
View Quote
Blew a piston? no wonder they don't make them anymore.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 11:07:27 AM EDT
Originally Posted By killingmachine123:
Originally Posted By piccolo: The other day, a kid showed up visiting a neighbor's kid. The visitor was driving a '79 MGB. I owned a '63 MGB on '70 and have not driven one since about'71 when the damned thing blew a piston on me.
View Quote
Blew a piston? no wonder they don't make them anymore.
View Quote
I got off light. When I blew a piston, I had to replace an automobile. When Magic Johnson blew a Piston, he wound up with HIV!
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 11:12:00 AM EDT
Sold my TR because, like so many others, it had electrical problems. Never did know exactly when it would decide to not start. Sooner or later it would crank right up, could be five min. later or it could be several hours later. One of those deals that "can't be duplicated" so we never could get it fixed for good. I hear that most of the the one's still on the road have new wiring that fixed the problems. Wish I knew then what I know now......
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 11:14:46 AM EDT
Your post brought back fond memories of the 1977 MG Midget I owned when I lived in Arizona. I loved that car. Other than one serious electrical problem that eventually got fixed, it was a great car. I used to love to cruise out to White Tank park in it since the roads were pretty curvy, and also liked to do South Mountain road in it. It could easily take some serious curves at 45 mph. It wasn't the fastest car but it handled great and was perfect for getting around Phoenixs' grid system. Sure do miss that car!
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 12:42:00 PM EDT
Older Brit vehicles and there electrical problems! I had a couple of friends that cursed thier Triumph motorcyles electrical systems. It wasn't until recently I heard the story of Lucas Electrics, who supplied much of the electrical components. Alledgedly, Sir John(Joseph?) Lucas was known as "The Prince of Darkness" because of the reliability of his lighting sysems. Lucas was a contemporary of Thomas Edison, inventor of the electric light. Lucas invented the electric dark. Lucas patented the short circuit Lucas light switches have 3 positions, off, dim, and flicker. Lucas Co doesn't claim to have invented darkness, but they do admit to "Sudden, unexpected darkness" The Brits drink warm beer 'cause Lucas also makes refridgerators. Lucas branched out into the vacuum cleaner business. It was the only Lucas product that didn't suck. The Lucas motto "Get home before dark" BTW, I stole all these from another website I visit. Seems as though the members in England don't really like Lucas very much, all these gags were accompanied by disparaging comments and details about the poor design of thier products. Don in Ohio
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 12:58:08 PM EDT
There is this VERY cool old Land Rover that lives by my house with a bumper sticker that reads: "All parts falling off this car are of the highest British quality" -Z
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 1:22:14 PM EDT
I over heard this one day when I was over at one of my friends. Friend's Wife: That damn Jag is leaking oil in the drive again. When are you going to clean it up?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Friend: Hey hun it's not leaking oil, it's just marking its teritory just like any other cat.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 1:29:10 PM EDT
Age 18-25: 1 MGA, 1 MGB, 2 Midgets, 2 AH Sprites. Age 25-30: Too many air-cooled VW's to list. Age 30-present: 2 Toyotas Some of us are slow learners. cynic
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 1:49:47 PM EDT
Piccolo man, I love reading your posts. The SEC posts are hilarious, but your average every day ones contain tons of thought provoking and interesting stuff. A person can tell you would be a good guy to hang out with and have a couple beers. Bravo! Aviator
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 1:58:38 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 2:02:31 PM EDT
Originally Posted By piccolo: I've forgotten how much fun it is to drive an old British sports car. I was pleased to find that I hadn't even gotten rusty, It was like I drove one yesterday. Such a car is wasted on the young and ought to be reserved for a middle aged guy that has respect for machinery. Like me.
View Quote
Pic, I started out with a '62 Austin Healy 3000 when I got out of the military, in 1968, and I've had M/C's, ('69), or sports cars ever since. I'm driving this now; [img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=329[/img] If ya can physically get into one, and can afford it, GET a sports car!!![:D]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 3:10:59 PM EDT
Congrats on the new MG [b]piccolo[/b], I know it is improper to ask, but where'd you bury the body? [;)] ByteTheBullet (-:
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 3:12:02 PM EDT
We called 'em "hobby cars" for a reason. The only good thing about a Midget/Sprite/etc. is that you can swap the engine without a hoist - just straddle that sucker and haul it out. My buddy was impressed with his TR-4; it was the first car he owned with roll up windows. Wednesday night was set aside to adjust the valves in the XKE owned by my old flight instructor's son, and he seldom let it go by for fear of being afoot.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 3:36:45 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 11:02:18 AM EDT
Damn you Pic! Now I'm flashing back 23 years and cruising the Rockies in my MGA 1600 Mark II. Continental Divide here I come...
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 11:05:23 AM EDT
You have a driver's license? You can drive? Shit, I thought you were blind!
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 11:10:11 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Boomholzer: You have a driver's license? You can drive? Shit, I thought you were blind!
View Quote
Ever see 'Scent of a Woman'?
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 11:14:22 AM EDT
Originally Posted By piccolo: Ever see 'Scent of a Woman'?
View Quote
Ohhh no, that poor kid!
Top Top