Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/8/2003 5:32:34 PM EDT
Now that I've decided to use a computer instead of my trusty ole WebTV, I need to connect via some way other than my only phone line...
The WebTV was nice because it would disconnect to allow phone calls...
The computer can't do that, so I need to look into other options...

Any pros / cons to cable hookup ?
Should I add a 2nd phone line ?
Is there some kind of satellite dish for hooking to the net ?

Link Posted: 6/8/2003 5:40:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Art, ol buddy.  If you can get cable hookup DO IT.  Telephone lines are way too slow for modern Net use, Ihave only 26 khx of line speed on a 700 hhz puter.  Satellite is ok, but tens to go down a lot depending on sloar and atmospheric sonditions.  DSL maybe an option,  look inot it before  you add a second phne line.  Ops
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 5:40:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Other options

DSL - Connect through your phone line using a DSL box inside you home connected to the phone line

Your Phone Co. must offer the service and there is a distance limit between the local phone building and our house. Speed up to about 128 kbps (I think)

Cable Modem - connect cable modem to cable just like another TV (you need a splitter and the cablew modem must be on the FIRST splitter in you house

Faster then DSL, but you may share bandwidth with other users on your cable branch.

Both of these are more expensive then dial up.

there is a satellite option where you use your phone outgoing and satellite incoming but I dont have any other detail.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 6:02:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't go satellite unless there's no other way out.

BASE DSL is of a low kbps rate, you can get higher transmission rates for more cash a month.

Cable is the best value.  Good downloads, decent latency and same pricing as base DSL or better.

If you're main reason for broadband is downloading, get cable.  If your main reason is stability, get DSL.  Cable, you're at the whim of whoever is on your block.  DSL you've got your own personal bandwith up to the CO where you hit the ISP's router.  It's more consistent than cable for that reason.  But unless you shell out the cash, cable beats DSL for raw speed hands down.

EDIT:  Go here: [url]www.broadbandreports.com[/url] and take a look at comments for your local broadband ISPs.  There's a wealth of info there and forums specific to ISPs so you can even ask questions as to who in the area has the service and if they're happy or not.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 6:11:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 6:13:08 PM EDT
[#5]
well in my area you cable goes for ~$49/month and you got 1600kbps down/ 300kbps up, but that varies depending on how many people are on, i use ADSL for $47/month and i get 1250kbps down/ 210kbps up(you don't need a second phone line for this).......either of those would be a big upgrade from dial up, i would stay away from satelite if possible, its overpriced and your upload is severely limited
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 6:26:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I had Cable, at 768K, I switched to DSL and it's 1536K.
I like DSL better.

I told the cable company to "hit the road", I got tired of the price hikes.

I got a dish for TV and DSL for internet.

Link Posted: 6/8/2003 6:29:51 PM EDT
[#7]
OK...

Now how about an explanation in English ?

You guys have no idea how little I know about 'puters...

I thought "DSL" was cable hookup ?

Is this DSL thing a gizmo that still uses my phone line but at a faster speed ?

You guys need to explain this as f you're talking to an 8yr old kid...

Right now this is what is "connected" to the roof of my house...

Direct TV satellite dish
Comcast cable
Verizon phone service

I'm interested in "cheap" and "reliable"
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 6:34:28 PM EDT
[#8]
if the webtv was disconnecting when a call came in I assume you have call waiting. if so one of these would work fine for you if you don't want the extra cost of high speed
I have one and it works great. I can't justify over $40 for broadband when I'm paying $12 for unlimited dialup
[url]http://www.catch-a-call-online.com/[/url]
I got mine from tigerdirect
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 6:41:59 PM EDT
[#9]
The call intercept thing looks pretty cool, but I think I'd rather have a faster connection...

I see online games in my future.[:D]

Link Posted: 6/8/2003 6:47:24 PM EDT
[#10]
DSL uses your phoneline, but you can talk on the phone and surf the net at the same time, in general it is a bit slower than cable, but more reliable
cable uses your cable tv line, it is usually faster than DSL but can slow down if there are alot of people on the net in your area
ballpark prices for these are $30-$50/month
i've used both and prefer DSL, b/c i do alot of gaming and i don't like the slow down in upload you get with cable during 'peak hours' (usually b/w 5-9pm)
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 6:47:49 PM EDT
[#11]
If you want to use games and stuff I'de go with a cable modem, very fast and unless you have tons of people around you using cable it will rarely slow down. DSL is a broadband connection which goes over your phone lines, it allows high speed surfing and with a filter you can still use the phone at the same time, both are about the same price (in my area anyways)
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 6:52:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Dragracer, in primitive words, so that _I_ can understand it: DSL uses the spectrum of the phoneline that's not used for transmitting voice. Together with a thingy that filters out which is which, you can use the same phoneline to be online with your computer and talk on the phone at the same time.
Compare the prices, speed and other features offered by your local cable company and whoever is offering DSL in your area.
Forget satellite internet, unless you're living 500 miles from the next phoneline.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 6:58:39 PM EDT
[#13]
can't blame you there. as soon as I can justify the cost I'm going back to cable. I miss playing counterstrike online

Quoted:
The call intercept thing looks pretty cool, but I think I'd rather have a faster connection...

I see online games in my future.[:D]

View Quote
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 7:00:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I just checked verizon.com and DSL is available on my line...

I've had bad dealings with Comcast in the past, and would like to avoid them at any cost.

Verizon DSL is $34.95/mo (12mo contract + $12.95 one-time fee)

1st mo free & 1st 3mo @ $29.95 if ordered online...

What do y'all think ?
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 7:36:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I've had bad dealings with Comcast in the past, and would like to avoid them at any cost.

1st mo free & 1st 3mo @ $24.95 if ordered online...

What do y'all think ?
View Quote

I think that I hate you! My DSL is $50/month. You should jump all over $35/month with Verizon!
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 7:38:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 7:43:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

1st mo free & 1st 3mo @ $24.95 if ordered online...

What do y'all think ?
View Quote
sounds good to me, i've heard good things about verizon
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 7:48:16 PM EDT
[#18]
DONE...

Just finished ordering online from Verizon...

$12.95 shipping/handling fee
1st month free
2nd & 3rd month @ $29.95mo
Thereafter @ $34.95mo.
Package to arrive in 3-5 days.

No credit card needed or anything...
They just add it on to my existing phone bill...

DAMN that was EASY !!!

Thanks for the input guys !
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 8:00:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Hey Art, I have Verizon DSL in NY and I'm very happy with it. Compared to my dial up service it's blazing fast. Downloads are super quick and onlione games are no problem, I only wish I had time to play because there are some cool games out there. I'm still waiting for DSL or Cable in PA, right now we only have a local service (PTD.net) and it sucks. I can't get better than 32k connections and the norm is even lower than that. They tell me there is not a big enough market out there yet for them to justify the installation of high speed internet. Get the Verizon and try it out, I believe new Verizon DSL customers have a trial period of 30 or 90 days before you agree to a yearly contract. This way you can pay for a month or two, and see if it's what you like. Definetly ask about the trial period and during that time make sure you try everything first, like large downloads, streaming video, online gaming etc. Give it a run for your money before you commit.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 8:12:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I'm still waiting for DSL or Cable in PA, right now we only have a local service (PTD.net) and it sucks. I can't get better than 32k connections and the norm is even lower than that. They tell me there is not a big enough market out there yet for them to justify the installation of high speed internet.

View Quote

DANG !

You must REALLY be out in the sticks...
Do you have paved roads ? [:D]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 8:20:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Art,

I'm pretty close to you and I am using Verizon DSL- 1.5M Down/128K Up @ $34.95/mo. First month free and no contract. You'd be hard pressed to find a better deal.

And yes oneshot1kill, PTD has got to be the worst ISP on this planet [:(]

[url]www22.verizon.com/forhomedsl/channels/dsl/bridge+drtv.asp?promotion_code=321/W82[/url]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 8:29:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Art,

I'm pretty close to you and I am using Verizon DSL- 1.5M Down/128K Up @ $34.95/mo.
View Quote

Um...

How close are you ?

You doing the bulletfest thing at the end of the month ???
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 8:31:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm still waiting for DSL or Cable in PA, right now we only have a local service (PTD.net) and it sucks. I can't get better than 32k connections and the norm is even lower than that. They tell me there is not a big enough market out there yet for them to justify the installation of high speed internet.

View Quote

DANG !

You must REALLY be out in the sticks...
Do you have paved roads ? [:D]
View Quote
LOL! It sure does seem like the sticks. Paved roads? What's a road??
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 8:33:26 PM EDT
[#24]
You know...

I've been thinking...

Technology sure has come a LONG way since the good old Texas Instruments Ti99-4a or the Commodore 64...
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 8:39:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

How close are you ?

You doing the bulletfest thing at the end of the month ???
View Quote

About 30 mins east. I'm still working on getting time off from work.

That's my "on call" weekend and I haven't been able to swap YET.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 8:41:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Depends on your area....

There are generally 4 non-dialup options:

Phone company DSL (sucks)
Cable company high-speed (sucks too)
3rd-party DSL (Mixed bag... good to bad)
Earthlink cable high-speed (good)...

The telco and cableco services have some pretty nasty TOS requirements (they have been known to boot people for running game servers and file-sharing programs), and they use the worst equipment (internal or USB 'modems' (it's not really a modem, but the old term stuck)), PPP tunneling (you have to 'dial' up your high-speed and log in), etc...

If you go high speed, here's the checklist:

[1] Make sure their equipment connects to your computer by Ethernet. Do NOT accept USB or internal equipment, as it is a major hassle, and can't be shared among multiple computers in case you ever pick up another PC.

[2] Make sure they do NOT use PPPoE or PPTP, and that NO software must be installed on your PC to get their service to work (you should be able to plug right in and go, without installing ANY software or 'drivers' provided by the internet company). If it requires special software, it's crap... (Note: if you don't have a network card, you'll have to install software for that. But this is different than installing software to 'set up' the internet service)...

[3] If you go DSL, make sure you have a perminant, promised speed. Ask if they use 'RADSL' or 'Rate Adapative' technology. If they say yes, RUN (don't walk) away... 'Rate Adaptive' is ISPese for 'we don't have enough bandwidth to serve all our customers, so we'll cut back your speed whenever we feel like it. Get a garanteed speed, backed by bill credits if they screw up...

[4] If you go cable, know that the number of cable users in your area will affect your speed. If you are, say, one of five, expect 1-2MBPS speeds. If you're, say, one of 30, expect near-modem speeds during 'peak' hours...

That's it...
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 8:59:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Phone company DSL (sucks)
Cable company high-speed (sucks too)
3rd-party DSL (Mixed bag... good to bad)
Earthlink cable high-speed (good)...
View Quote

My experience has been the opposite.

I have used Earthlink cable (in Raleigh, NC)and it sucked. Using Verizon DSL (in PA) and its great.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 9:15:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Well let me give you all the facts.

I just happen to be a data tech for the local RBOC ( Regional Bell Operating Company = the old phone company) It all depends on where you live in relation to your serving central office. If you are close, say inside 3 miles, DSL is a possibility. However, it still all depends on the type of delivery system in your area. Some neighbourhoods are supplied dialtone from "pair gain" or T-1 trunks to the field. You are toast, you can only get ISDN out of them at 128kb. That is unless they have built a dslam that is the source of DSL out in the field PAST the PG unit. Then you better hope to hell that you have no load coils on the pair as they only let thru 300 Hz to 3500Hz. I fight this crap every day. And just because the records say you can have it doesn't mean it will work. We have put in circuits that work in January and fall on their face in June due to attentuation from hight heat. Even with using total reach from Adtran ot with inline repeaters on DIGITAL service, sometimes you are just to far out. Too bad, So sad, move closer to the Central Office. Like Scotty says on STARTRECK," Captain, you cannot change the laws of physics". And it gets even more intresting if you can get VDSL (cable tv & dsl combinned). Or with cable modems. You guys all share bandwith !!! So your super fast line turns to shit when the cable folks dump in 300 people into your bandwidth !
 So on & on it goes. What the hell, it buys me AR's & ammo !!
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 9:49:19 PM EDT
[#29]
It really depends on where you are.  I've had some good experiences with cable but also with dsl.  Cable will generally have the faster download but it fluctuates more because you're sharing the bandwidth with your neighbors, where as with dsl it's a bit more steady.  I currently have business dsl with 768k/s each way.  You generally can't get that with cable.
But if you're not in a relatively close proximity to the local phone exchange than cable is the better deal because you'll get the better speads the farther away you go.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 4:23:55 PM EDT
[#30]
If you uncap your cable, you can get up to 2Mb per second.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 7:08:32 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm in Florida and have Verizon DSL Bronze package its 768k down/ 128k up and I think its plenty most of the time (till I see my brother's 400KBPS downloads that he sometimes gets on his cable modem.

Still I have to say my Verizon DSL service is great.....btw its always on just like cable, turn on computer....its running.

Link Posted: 6/9/2003 8:52:15 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm getting 245k up 2506k down with cable acording to [url]http://www.dslreports.com/stest?loc=2[/url]
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 2:05:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Hehe...
I just "clocked" my dial-up speed at the above site...

Results as follows :

Download speed= 39934 BPS or 39 KBPS

Upload speed= 16771 BPS or 16 KBPS

I'm not too familiar with computer jargon, but I 'sorta think this is BAD...

Link Posted: 6/10/2003 3:47:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Art, All I see is a red X in the first pic so here's what I got from my speed test with Verizon DSL. It Rocks! I apologize if this is a duplicate pic.  [img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=13575[/img]
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 3:50:17 AM EDT
[#35]
OK the only option I have other than dial up is satellite, is it worth it? Let's put it this way where I live I can walk out on my front porch unload a 30 rounder in any direction and not worry. Everything has a downside.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 4:21:43 AM EDT
[#36]
I have no options here but dialup or service electric/PTD cable.. I would rather use my dialup that PTD cable.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 4:30:05 AM EDT
[#37]
oneshot1kill,

You need to get Verizon to fix that [:)] Here is Verizon DSL in PA.

[img]www.armscenter.com/xm777/Verizon-DSL.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 7:25:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Holy smokes !

I only ordered the DSL stuff on Sunday night...

The brown truck delivered the box of goodies today already...

I guess I have to wait for a Verizon truck to show up and do something on the phone pole now...

Is there any chance this stuff will work "as-is"  before the Verizon van shows up ?
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 7:49:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Dragracer_Art

Pls feel free to contact SBC DSL in Texas..and collect your commision $$

Ive been on the fence for a while now on getting / not getting dsl.. your post made me go to sbc.com and actaully order the darn thing :) < brown truck [red]BETTER[/red] be out there by the time I finish this post! [:)] >

to think that I opened your thread to tell you my $99 computer < Fry's Eletronics grand Opening SALE [:)] > came which a v.92 that has built in "modem on hold" call comes in and I get an option to answer or ignore....... now I gotta go wait for the brown truck carrying the magic modem.. < didnt get the USB option due to this thread also.. >  

Cost for DSL will be [red]$29.99[/red] a month.. glad I waited,,  couple of weeks ago it was $34.95 .. < yeah its a 12month deal but oh well im tired of dail up.. >
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 7:50:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Read DSL Reports (url above)  they compare all broadband

Cable - If your cable company can't provide decent one way service can you reasonably expect them to provide two-way?  As noted more local users less speed.

DSL is however not speed dependent on # of users.  It is however dependent on the quality/quantity of phone wiring between you and Central Office.  If you get reliable 53k modem service on dial-up you can probably get DSL.  No promises.

Get an NIC card to modem connection for either cable or DSL. This will allow networking up additional computers.  If you are using for regular usage your ISP won't likely care or notice.  IF you "hog" bandwidth by running servers or other similar applications on a residential contract expect ISP negative attention.

Satellite is good if you are out in the boonies.

CAn you hookup and run with the equipment before the "pole" or CO work.  Maybe, MY CO work was done before the equipment arrived.  They (SBC) originally sent an internal modem. I called and got a NIC card and external modem version.  I got the impression that SBC at least is going to the NIC card to modem standard.  Generally the nic card they use is about $10 at stores and must be dirt cheap at their cost.  

You will need to run PPoE or similar if you are running NIC to modem only.  If you have a router in the system you just need to run standard network software.  Which is on your Windows disks.  May even set up Plug and Pray automatically.  Setting up your router if all goes well should take about 15 minutes I got a $30 factory rebuild Netgear at Frys and it has worked great.  (buying anything at Fry's let alone rebuilds is a chancy thing)  Read DSL Reports How To Sections to get an idea on what you need.

The SBC software was fine, just had a customized version of Netscape, not sure what they have now.  You can use straight Netscape or Internet Explorer if you are afraid of ISP software.

Link Posted: 6/10/2003 9:58:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Holy smokes !
I only ordered the DSL stuff on Sunday night...
The brown truck delivered the box of goodies today already...
I guess I have to wait for a Verizon truck to show up and do something on the phone pole now...
View Quote

Nawwww. Open the box, stuff the filters in all your phonejacks (except the one that will have the DSL modem, of course), plug phone cable into modem, install network card into computers (if necessary), connect network cards and DSL modem using network cable (Cat-5, straight-through), install drivers for network card if necessary (and only the drivers, nothing else), fire everything back up and see what happens.

Is there any chance this stuff will work "as-is"  before the Verizon van shows up ?
View Quote

I'm not entirely sure what the Verizon van is supposed to do.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 7:59:12 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
oneshot1kill,

You need to get Verizon to fix that [:)] Here is Verizon DSL in PA.

[url]www.armscenter.com/xm777/Verizon-DSL.jpg[/url]
View Quote
That's wicked fast, something is definetly wrong with my DSL connection.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 7:56:22 AM EDT
[#43]
OK guys...

As of this moment, I'm now using DSL...

After getting the "account active" email last night already, I tried to do the install to no avail...

Aparently my USB cable hookup was not compatible with Win98 1st version.
I had to run out to WalMart for a $15 Ethernet card.
After a few glitches, and Verizon support, I was up and running in just a few minutes...

Friggin unreal...

I just did the speed test and got a 625/130...

That seems slow...

What gives ???

Link Posted: 6/13/2003 12:13:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Just finished goofin around with a few "tweaks" and got it up to 712/133.(Compared to the 39/16 test using dial-up)

How the hell does one get up into 1500+ range ???

I know...
Now I'm being greedy. [:D]
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 2:48:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Just finished goofin around with a few "tweaks" and got it up to 712/133.(Compared to the 39/16 test using dial-up)

How the hell does one get up into 1500+ range ???

I know...
Now I'm being greedy. [:D]
View Quote
You're not the only one who wants to know how to break the 1500+ barrier. That's smoking fast. Perhaps XM777 knows something we don't know![+]:D]
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 9:19:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Well, after switching to Windows XP, I picked up a little speed. (Not much though)

Now we're at 720/139.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 9:24:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Well, after switching to Windows XP, I picked up a little speed. (Not much though)

Now we're at 720/139.
View Quote

What's your advertised speed? My Qwest ADSL is advertised as 640/256 but i only get 550/150.

Oh, welcome to high speed internet. Now you can download more porn faster.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 9:36:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

What's your advertised speed? My Qwest ADSL is advertised as 640/256 but i only get 550/150.

Oh, welcome to high speed internet. Now you can download more porn faster.
View Quote

I honestly have no idea what the advertised speed really is.
I do see others on the same network with numbers in the 1500's. Same zipcode and all...
Maybe there is a special "upgraded" account available from Verizon ?

Really doesn't matter though, this is leaps and bounds better than the 39/16 dialup speed I clocked just a few days ago. [:D]

pssst..
(I can't download the porn 'till the wife hits the sack)
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 9:50:35 PM EDT
[#49]
2003-06-14 01:28:23 EST: 1182 / 135
Your download speed : 1182464 bps, or 1182 kbps.
A 144.3 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 135800 bps, or 135 kbps.

Advice:  get a good DSL router.  It can boost your speed significantly.  Second piece of advice - call your DSL provider and see if they use a govenor on your speed.  Most providers will throtle your throughput to be able to guarantee clean service.  Sometimes they tighten it down too much and you can do a lot better.  I'm out at about 18,000 feet (practical distance limit) from the C.O. and still getting better than a megabit per second.  Your provider can do better.  Also, make sure you are running direct (no splices) CAT 5 cable or better from your phone demarc (box on side of house) to your modem.

Either way it kicks dial-up's a$$!  Enjoy.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 4:11:53 AM EDT
[#50]
Any good reports from Satellite users? Like I said I am out in the boonies.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top