BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 8:13:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I checked the law before I came up with that position...

I can't legally shoot, but can legally point...

I'm basically betting that the BG doesn't read the state law, and assumes 'TV law' (i.e. that he can legally be shot for what he's doing)... If he knows I can't shoot him, it won't work... Basically, 'Do you feel lucky? (I hope not, 'cause I can't do anything if you do!)'

If the BG tries to shoot me, I have to attempt to withdraw (i.e. duck back into my house), and if BG's actions still threaten me despite said attempt (i.e. he then tries to break in, or he starts firing blindly at the wall), I re-gain my right to shoot... But we're back to the presumption that the BG doesn't feel lucky today...

As for open street encounters, the way WI handles things my gun is out of practical reach. The only scenario I can see where I'd use the glovebox gun are an attempted carjacking or armed robbery (with no option to run, i.e. stopped at a light with cars in front) that I 'see coming' in time to grab and load the gun. In that case, the 'death or great bodily harm' clause comes into play, and it's a different set of rules...

It is circular logic, but it's legally created circular logic (If they had prohibited the threat of deadly force as well as the use, this odd case would not exist. But they didn't)...
View Quote

And what if he slowly walks toward you, keeping his hands, and arms where they are readily visible. What will you do then?

1) Don't be pulling out guns unless you are ready both legally and mentally to use them.

2) Don't threaten something you aren't willing to do.

3) Have a plan.

4) Have a back up plan.

I would suggest, if you suggest your vehicle is being molested to first call 911, provide as much info as the call taker asks for. Also try to have a suspect vehicle, including the plate number.

If possible use a cordless or cell phone to make the call, cordless is better 911 will get your address instantly.

If you feel you must confront the subject, remember just because you see 1 or 2 doesn't mean that's all there is out there. Consider, having OC or mace if it is legal where you are. You also need a good flashlight. If you take a firearm you need to have a holster, or sling, and be able to retain that weapon.

A video camera of the suspect "in the act" would probably be best.

Oh yeah, when you confront a thief they will most likely flee, it would be bad if you make it so that MUST go through you to get away.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 8:37:28 AM EDT
[#2]
You could always install one of [url=http://www.stickdeath.com/2003auto.html]these.[/url]
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 8:39:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I suggest putting locks on the doors and a fuel cutoff. If the vehicle is locked, it will generally deter the ordinary thief. A remote fuel cutoff will prevent the vehicle from being driven off. A remote battery cutoff will prevent the vehicle from being started.

A Denver Boot on a Humvee? I wasn't aware such a thing existed.

As far as the hypothetical general case of what to do when one encounters a car theft in-progress, I have never owned a vehicle that I would consider risking my life to protect. I have insurance to replace the vehicle. If I had a particularly valuable vehicle, I would exercise all options to keep the vehicle out of site when unattended.

This is an odd thread.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top