Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/7/2003 9:13:21 AM EDT
Fellow yahoos, I'd like a little input on a business-to-customer situation I'm in. Here's the quick story: 1. Last December I ordered a product from a respected vendor. Was billed immediately via credit card. 2. In February, I had not received the product yet (I ordered it specifically for a business trip I had scheduled for late Feb./early March). I contacted said vendor about my order's status and was told it was on backorder and they would ship it as soon as it came in. 3. On March 3rd, I contacted them again, after my trip, and was really peeved about not having my order. I told the vendor I was tired of waiting for a product that I ordered and paid for two months earlier (a product that was in an online catalogue, NOT a special order item) and wanted to cancel the order and be credited. The vendor did so. 4. Here's the wierd part. A few weeks ago, I got a package in from the vendor. Lo and behold, it was the item I had ordered back in December of '02! No explanation, just the item and some paperwork that was unclear as to the reason why it was shipped to me. When I got my credit card statement in and it showed no charges from the vendor, I called and inquired about it. a. Why was the item shipped to me after I cancelled the order? b. Why wasn't I charged for it (since it did get shipped anyway)? The vendor's response: Ship it back. I said that since it was in my possession (finally) and I liked it, I would rather not ship it back. The vendor's response: Give us your credit card number so we can charge you for it then. I did just that. Then I asked if they would have ever known they shipped out this item free of charge if I had never called them. The vendor said they never would have known. Here's me scratching my head. By being honest, I just saved this vendor $120 informing them of a mistake on their part (one of a few things that peeved me). I didn't get a "thank you for calling us" or anything. Just a "give us your credit card number." Am I justified in being confused by this transaction? How about being a little pissed too? Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 9:22:24 AM EDT
well, wobblin, from my perspective, you did the honest, upstanding thing by questioning and paying for it. sounds like a sloppy shipping dept. or a contract shipper who blew it. its possible the company showed it shipped, etc. and are confused as well. still, kind of a 9 on the rude scale for not acknowledging your decency. not good customer relations. i think you should feel a little pissed but it probably won't matter to them. you can have the warm fuzzies for doing what you should have done and would have wanted someone to do for you (golden rule). if it would make you feel helpful, sometimes a followup letter of "concern" to the management will help them out. i have had similar stuff happen and just went away knowing i did the right thing.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 9:41:41 AM EDT
The only person that you have to prove anything to is yourself and you did very well. A truly honest person is hard to find.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 9:44:00 AM EDT
You did the right thing. You can't help the fact that they have shitty customer service. Just do future business elsewhere. Personal morality is independent of the actions of others.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 9:45:51 AM EDT
Originally Posted By armabill: The only person that you have to prove anything to is yourself and you did very well. A truly honest person is hard to find.
View Quote
What he said!
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 10:49:04 AM EDT
You did the right thing, and yeah, you have a right to be pissed. Twice now, upon finding important material and tracking down the people involved and returning it to them, I got no thanks at all. 1. Graphic design material -- new product -- for a regionnal bank. It had evidently fallen out of a bike courier bag due to its size making it stick out & fall. The design firm was actually pissy about it instead of thankful. I phoned up the bank's HQ's, told them the name of the design firm and described the graphics work in detail, except that I changed the circumstances a bit so as to not get the courier int trouble, but the design company would. 2. Accounting records for a local business I found in a parking lot. This was a bit harder to find out who it belonged to, and they wer not a bit thankful. But like has been pointed out, the most important thing is adhering to your own standards. Sounds like they're pretty screwed up. If you called the company up and cancelled the order again, they'd probably be ship you another one!! Not that you'd want that, but sometimes companies seem to go out of their way to avoid doing something right.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 10:54:30 AM EDT
No good deed goes unpunished!!
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 11:43:53 AM EDT
Similiar story here. I ordered a M1903A3 from the CMP, somehow the order got lost or screwed up or something and they sent me two rifles. Of course I was only charged for one. I had to think about it but I did end up calling them and telling them about the mistake. They asked me to send it back and even paid the shipping. I did ask if I could just buy it but policy is only one per customer per year. Oh well, at least I can say I did the right thing.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 11:45:53 AM EDT
At some point I will contact someone in authority at the vendor and inform him of what transpired. Right now, I am still a little miffed and would not be a good time to do it, though.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 11:54:56 AM EDT
Originally Posted By GreyGhost: No good deed goes unpunished!!
View Quote
I'm living proof of THAT statement from my post this week about wanting to help our fellow members save some money. Sheesh!
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 12:02:30 PM EDT
You did well. Unfortunately, too many now-a-days are so self centered that they no longer have any courtesy for any one else. We respect your honesty, even though they don't. Enjoy the product that you do have, and in the future consider their actions in this when looking for another product. I would rather pay a few dollars more to a vendor that treats me respectfully than save a few bucks and have to wait forever and get the run around.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 12:10:37 PM EDT
Return it @ their expense with an explanative note to the CEO, in a personally addressed envelope if you can get his/her name, telling that you would have paid for and kept the item if they would have expressed at least a bit of appreciation for your honesty, but since they don't seem to care you won't care to buy from them. (I trust there's some other supplier for your items) Or, tell them to forget about it, keep the item and go your way. You're under no obligation to pay for unsolicited items that arrive at your doorstep. If they want it back they must pay to get it back and whatever is fair comppensation for your time to process it back to them. my 2c jj
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 12:50:36 PM EDT
First off that doesn't fall under the unsolicited so you can keep it standards. Second they shouldn't have charged until shipped, if it was a single item that's no-no, but if it was part of a muti=item order or you do regular business with them I can see how it fell through the cracks. Not as neat as possible, but easily forgivable. Sounds like when you called a couple of time you got put in a special handling priority. IN other words, you probably had a "AS SOON AS IT ARRIVES SHIP TO" mode and nobody told the folks to not do it. I think they were trying to fix a problem asap and did, but in a less than graceful manner. As far as them not falling over to thank you, well, based on the labor pool these days, I ain't surprised. The bright side is they obvioulsy don't have your card number floating around for everybody to use. Unfortunately most ordering and shipping departments work with their counterparts and not the real decision makers so they acted on a peer-to-peer (in)formality and not customer relationship. They're trying to keep things moving nothing personal.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 4:58:59 PM EDT
All the responses are appreciated. This was the first time I did business with this dealer and the item in question was part of an order comprised of two other items, which were shipped immediately. This third item was ordered (along with the two other items) in December of last year for my trip in late February/early March. As you can expect, when I made the trip and did not have the "_____" I was pissed. Upon my return I called and cancelled the remaining item. This has been one major screw-up from the get-go. Again, thanks for the advice and such.
Top Top