Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/7/2003 8:14:16 AM EDT
Here in Knoxville local police are dressing like construction workers to catch speeding cars in a constructions zone. Then using the radio to get a car on them down the road. Anyone know if they can do this? Don't get me wrong Im in favor of slowing down the I-40 to save lives, but I don't know about this. See link with picture. [url]http://www.knoxnews.com/kns/local_news/article/0,1406,KNS_347_2015729,00.html[/url].
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 8:21:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/7/2003 8:26:00 AM EDT by Jim_Dandy]
Yep, legal. The police do it here, too. Remember: the actual stop is made by a uniformed officer. This is no different than aircraft being used to spot and track speeders. The police here also ride trains on occasion and catch nitwits who drive around railroad crossing arms. Same mode of operation as the previous two scenarios, they radio ahead to a uniformed officer in a marked car to make the stop.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 9:08:32 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Jim_Dandy: Remember: the actual stop is made by a uniformed officer. This is no different than aircraft being used to spot and track speeders.
View Quote
Here in NY you don't need to be in 'uniform' to make car stops. I can't imagine a law somewhere else that would 'require' law enforcement to be uniformed to make car stops. Not to say that it's not prudent to do it in uniform, it's just not legally (as in law) required. Some departments have policy that requires their officers to be in marked cars and uniformed before making stops, but again, it's policy not law.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 9:43:22 AM EDT
Don't speed and you won't have to worry about it.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 10:17:43 AM EDT
[center]Don't speed and you won't have to worry about it. [/center] "And when they came for the speeder's I did not stand up, for I wasn't a speeder."
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 10:57:14 AM EDT
Around here construction : traffic jams. I inherited my mothers lead foot and often exceed the rotation (takeoff) speed for light aircraft, but usually only at night when no one is around, or during the day where traffic is nonexistant. Been driving for nine years and have only one ticket, and I got that in a Geo Metro trying to get to work on time...
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 11:13:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/7/2003 11:13:55 AM EDT by prk]
Originally Posted By BuLLet:
Originally Posted By Jim_Dandy: Remember: the actual stop is made by a uniformed officer. This is no different than aircraft being used to spot and track speeders.
View Quote
Here in NY you don't need to be in 'uniform' to make car stops. I can't imagine a law somewhere else that would 'require' law enforcement to be uniformed to make car stops. Not to say that it's not prudent to do it in uniform, it's just not legally (as in law) required. Some departments have policy that requires their officers to be in marked cars and uniformed before making stops, but again, it's policy not law.
View Quote
Of course, stops with no uniformed people seem to have a way of going bad...............
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 12:18:39 PM EDT
One of our Highway Patrol supervisore used to park an old pickup truck on the side of the Interstate with a rag tied around the antenna, then sit inside with a radar unit & clock the truckers coming off the mountain at 80+ mph. A chase car was waiting a couple of miles down the road for them. Of course, this all came about after dozens of truck wrecks & several fatalities on that stretch of road. Then the trucking companies started calling all the politicians in Raleigh to whom they had made sizable campaign contributions, & the pols raised so much hell with the gutless HP brass that they told the Sgt. to stop using the decoy. After all, what are a few more fatalities compared to the trucking companies keeping their schedules & making more money, right? NC has the best politicians money can buy.....
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 12:39:48 PM EDT
NC cop. Screw you!!!! First of all, what stretch of interstate are you talking about? Second, Yes, truckers do tend to let their speed up when going down steep hills/mountains. Especially if that downhill is immediately followed by an uphill. You are probably the type to go 10 MPH below posted speed limit in the left lane in front of a truck coming up on a steep rise. Also, it is not the trucking companies that push the time limits. It is the POS shippers and recievers. I can't tell you how many times I have gone somewhere to pick up a load to sit around for hours while getting loaded. Then having less time than required to make the delivery. Then, when I am late to deliver, the reciever bitches at me for being late. You come up with these BS lane restrictions and split speed limits to hinder us, but get upset when you don't get something in the mail or in the store on time. Do a little research and you might learn something. 73% of [b]ALL [/B] accidents involving commercial motor vehicles are [b] CAUSED BY CARS [/b], not the truck driver. This includes accidents in which only the CMV is damaged. (When we have to dodge a dumbass like you that races to the exit that he knows he needs to take and then cuts in front of us slamming on the brakes and we put the truck in the ditch to keep from hitting your stupid ***) And if you hate trucks so much, do without what we deliver. I challeng you to do that. You will be sitting naked in the woods throwing rocks at rabbits for dinner, rubbing sticks together for a fire to cook it over and wiping your butt with poison ivy. Before you run your mouth about something you know nothing about, I dare you to spend just one week in a truck. You will learn a hell of a lot about what it takes to drive a semi. We have the most dangerous job in the world (according to OSHA, so don't bitch about how dangerous it is to be a cop) We are more regulated than the airline industry (4 times the regulations on truckers than on commercial airlines and pilots combined) and under appreciated by the general public. Now, NC cop, if you want to get really picky about it, if you are not an MP or DOT, get your butt off my interstate. In case you never heard of it, the Eisen hower interstate system (which all interstates in NC are a part of) was built by the federal government. The feds have only 2 jobs according to the constitution. Mutual defense of the member states and regulating/promoting interstate/international commerce. This interstate system was built for military transports and interstate commerce. NOt for your sorry butt to go to Disney world on vacation or to commute back and forth to work. So keep your butt off my interstate and the truck accident rate will be cut by 73%. So, if you don't have the balls to take either of my challenges, shut your mouth and get an education. {rant mode off} I apologize to the rest of you, but rookie cops running their mouth when they are full of you know what, really piss me off.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 12:46:03 PM EDT
Now, back to the original subject. (sorry to rant earlier) Yes, it is perfectly legal. You are perhaps thinking of entrapment. This is not entrapment in that they are not causing you to speed. This situation is analogous to an undercover vice cop observing drug sales and calling in an arrest team. I drive 160,000 miles a year and have lots of dealings with the law (vehicle inspections/scales/calling in on drunks etc...) There are several things I disagree with (like your BS illegal lane restrictions you have in Knoxville {you can not deny access to the interstate to any commercial vehicle paying taxes for access thereto, which we do with our fuel taxes which is why they write you up for failure to observe a traffic sign, not for lane restriction} That is illegal) but this situation, I agree with. As someone replied earlier, it is like using the aircraft. Or like traffic light cameras or anything similar to that.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 12:52:37 PM EDT
Damn, next thing you know they'll be dressing up like hookers to catch guys soliciting for sex. Its sneaky but fair I suppose.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 12:59:22 PM EDT
I've got a better one for you. Here in Dallas, they dress as homeless people at intersections complete with cardboard signs. They keep a walkie-talkie hidden behind the sign and report people who are not wearing seat belts to officers farther up the road. The ironic thing, is that panhandling has been outlawed in Dallas! Ed
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 1:24:18 PM EDT
The stretch of Interstate that I'm talking about is I-26 on the Saluda grade, from Mile marker 30 to MM 36. We have had dozens of truck wrecks on that piece of road, all caused by excessive speed, according to the Highway Patrol. Regardless of who "forces" you to speed, the speed limit is there for the safety of everybody on the road, not just for cars or for trucks. Regardless of who paid for what, as long as a piece of highway runs through our county, we have the same jurisdiction as the Patrol or DOT. If you don't believe that, come to court & see how many people off the Interstate are on trial for drugs, stolen vehicles, DWI, etc. Possibly you're familiar with the fact that two troopers have been killed on I-40 in the Pigeon River gorge in the last 15 months? Just coincidence that they were both killed by "professional" truck drivers who couldn't see a marked patrol car with all the lights operating? I don't have a problem with MOST truck drivers. MOST drivers drive in a reasonably safe, careful manner. And yes, there are a lot of unsafe drivers, truckers & others out there. But when you are operating an 80,000 pound truck, you have a responsibility to everyone around you to be able to control it. Unfortunately, there are too many "professional" truck drivers out there who can't. BTW, if I'm still a rookie after 23 years on the job, what does that make you?
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 1:43:09 PM EDT
PsyWarrior You really want to know what pisses me off, asshole truckers who think they own the road. Because your trucking companies push you to your limits and make you wait hours to get loaded that you have the right to go 80mph in your trucks. Even when your doing 55 and the automobiles are going 65 you cant stop in the same distance a the longest stoping car. How fast can you stop at 80? I dont care what percentage of wrecks are caused by the autos, who pays the price when one happens, the big truck or the little car? Im tired of doing 65 and seeing truckers go blasting past me like I was setting still. Im sure there are good truckers out there but the ones who think there is no speedlimit for them because they have CB's can go to hell. This come from someone whos uncle was killed because some asshole was behind schedule and speeding, when the traffic infront of my uncle slowed suddenly he too hit his brakes but the trucker who was behind schedule because he was being PUSHED to hard by his company couldnt. My uncle died about two weeks later of brain trama never having awakend. Why, becasue someone was behind schedule and knew because of his radio there were no police around so he was free to speed. BKVic
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 2:44:31 PM EDT
I can't imagine a law somewhere else that would 'require' law enforcement to be uniformed to make car stops.
View Quote
Kind of like I can't imagine someone who deosn't pay any attention to what was posted. I don't recall that I posted that there was any "law requirement," do you? Didn't think so. [b]TNAR15[/b] posted that the "fake" construction workers were radioing a uniform in a car to make the stop.
Damn, next thing you know they'll be dressing up like hookers to catch guys soliciting for sex. Its sneaky but fair I suppose.
View Quote
Don't keep up with the times, huh? PDs have been doing that for years. The OKC PD occasionally sets up busts in gay hangouts. I'd hate to be the cops pulling that duty.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 3:30:40 PM EDT
Let's see.. the topic says 'is this legal', so.. for it not to be you'd need a "LAW". Where did I say "YOU" said it was illegal? Didn't think so. Oh, yes.. there was that part about you Jim saying something about "Remember: the actual stop is made by a uniformed officer." Like that was important to the topic of being 'legal'. But hey Jim most of us can't pay attention anyway.. *shrug*
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 3:36:06 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Jim_Dandy: [b]TNAR15[/b] posted that the "fake" construction workers were radioing a uniform in a car to make the stop.
View Quote
Oh, I forgot this.. he said they were radioing a 'uniform'?? I don't see that.. what I see is this
Originally Posted By TNAR15: Then using the radio to get a car on them down the road.
View Quote
Nope nothing about 'uniform', please pay more attention jim!
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 3:43:33 PM EDT
Originally Posted By BuLLet:
View Quote
View Quote
Down here we don't stop for anybody that is not in a marked car and a uniform![smash] They call that "Attempted Car Jacking" or worse! It will also get someone shot![pistol] We are allowed to carry concealed weapons here![shotgun] BigDozer66
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 3:55:13 PM EDT
Originally Posted By BigDozer66: Down here we don't stop for anybody that is not in a marked car and a uniform BigDozer66
View Quote
So Dozer, you're saying that law enforcement in Texas uses no unmarked cars when they have to make a car stop?? And all law enfocement activity when dealing with someone in a car is done only by uniformed officers?? Oh just in case you didn't know... NY has permits for carrying concealed weapons as well.. :)
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 4:01:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/7/2003 4:03:09 PM EDT by Jeep29]
Originally Posted By Jim_Dandy:
View Quote
Don't keep up with the times, huh? PDs have been doing that for years. The OKC PD occasionally sets up busts in gay hangouts. I'd hate to be the cops pulling that duty.
View Quote
Guess you missed my attempt at being a smartass[:D]
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 5:28:47 PM EDT
NCcop, I know Saluda mtn and the overbearing pricks that work that area. NC DOT will write a citation on a truck that has a marker light out on top of the tractor as a "hazard to the motoring public" but let cars go down the interstate with one headlight out and the other one illuminating the tree tops. So, since I know what district you are in, and the types there, I say screw you. Take my challenge or shut the F up. BKvic, The driver in your case did not know about what was happening in front of him. OK, I am sorry about your uncle. Now, if you want to rant on me, go for it. because I can put it all back. My truck only goes 75 so to hell with your 80MPH comment. Second, if you would have read what I said earlier, it is not the companies that cause us to run hard, it is the shippers and the asshole recievers because they have to have their product so your whiney butt can buy it. Yeah, it takes us a lot longer to stop. Think about that the next time you decide it is better to race a truck to your off ramp so you can stomp on the brakes in front of him. Think about that the next time you race for the barrels at a construction zone because your time is more important than any one elses. Think about that the next time you try to force your way onto the interstate when a truck has no where to go but maintain his lane. Think about that the next time you get on the interstate and head straight for the left lane without looking to see if anything is comeing and your only doing 45 miles an hour. Think about that the next time you are on your way home from work and decide to stay in the left lane until you are 100 yards from your off ramp and want to cut across 4 lanes of traffic to get off. Think about that!!! I have had 5 accidents in my driving career. [b]ALL 5 CAUSED BY CARS [/b] I am not going to kill myself to avoid killing you because of your stupidity. When you cut me off and hit the brakes, I am not putting my truck in a ditch and turning it over like a friend of mine did to end up in the hospital for 3 weeks and losing his $135,00 truck because a car cut him off. I am not going to run into a bridge pylon like I saw another driver do because a guy chatting on his cell phone didn't look in his mirror when he pulled out in front of a truck from a stand still. That truck driver was killed and 2 cars totaled (occupants had serious injuries) because the driver tried to avoid hitting the dumbass. What did the dumbass do? He kept on going. Blame it all on the truck driver. Like I said, if you hate trucks that much, do without what we deliver. Everything you have has spent time on a truck. The turf in your lawn, the building materials to build you house, everything inside you house, your car, the computer you are using, the food you eat and the clothes you wear. Truckers even delivered the AR15 that you are so proud of. So, when you want to do something stupid in front of me, I will just roll right over you and go home at the end of the day. When I get home I will submit your name for a darwin award. I don't claim to own the road, but damn it, I have just as much right to be there as anyone else. This month the OOIDA (Owner Operators Independent Drivers Association) is pushing for us to run 100% compliant. You will see what happens because we do. Even better, there is actually, finally work in progress for a nationwide shut down. When youdon't have any food or gas for your car or any mail or anything else, you will see what happens. So vic, the same challenge goes to you and everyone else. Learn a little about trucks before you go running off at the mouth. Do without or spend some time learning a little. Then perhaps you will get a clue. Otherwise, to hell with you. I will continue to do my job as safely as is possible with arrogant piss ants like you getting in the way. And when the situation arises that it is you or me, all I can say is bye bye dumbass.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 5:37:31 PM EDT
Originally Posted By PsyWarrior: We have the most dangerous job in the world (according to OSHA, so don't bitch about how dangerous it is to be a cop) We are more regulated than the airline industry (4 times the regulations on truckers than on commercial airlines and pilots combined) education.
View Quote
These two statement are complete BS. I've worked with DOT regulations for most of my adult life including time behind the wheel of commercial motor vehicles. For instance, the airline industry has to comply with most of the same regulations that the trucking industry does plus FAA, IATA, and ICAO regulations. Also, there are several industries that are more dangerous. I believe the most dangerous industry is commercial fishing.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 5:47:10 PM EDT
Geez PsyWarrior, lay off the Adam Henry complex. And maybe get off the critty for a while eh? Your truck, is NOT more important than the dumbass who turns in front of you. Sure, you have no expectation to crash to avoid a wreck, but by the tone of your post, it sounds like your one of the asswipe truckers who bump their way everywhere and complain about everything while on the way.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 5:54:52 PM EDT
I don't think taking a break will help him, more like a career change is in order. Of course, nothing to do with driving!
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 6:08:04 PM EDT
In a tag-team situation like this, or aerial pacing for that matter, the officer WHO DIRECTLY WITNESSED the infraction is the one who has to appear in court for the prosecution. If you were'nt speeding when the second officer caught you, the second officer only had hearsay when he pulled you over and that doesn't cut it in a lot of district courts as far as tickets go (or other class C misdemeanors) In sum, if you get a citation for something like this, talk to your lawyer before you pay a No Contest bond. And consider future increased costs of insurance when making a decision to hire an attorney. It may cost more than the ticket up-front, but could save you hundreds of dollars in premiums over the next three years.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 6:11:30 PM EDT
PsyWarrior I would much rather share a road with truckers any day. Cars are just to unpredictable.I drive my motor home around country and look forward to following trucks, I know they aren't going to jamb on there breaks to take an exit. Truckers have a certain road courtesy that cars just don't.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 6:15:02 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 6:16:30 PM EDT
Over a thousand highway worker died in 2001 [url]http://www.artba.org/news/press_releases/2002/08-20-02.htm[/url] in workzone accidents. Off hand I don't know how many LEO's or truckers died, not tring to lessen the impact of an LEO losing his life, but this is the point of the cops in the workzone. Not quotas. Not revenue enhancement. Lives. I work in these workzones everyday for a living. So the life you save may be mine[:)]... fullclip
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 6:22:55 PM EDT
Thank you John. EOD guy, you better double check your facts. Per Osha, truckers have the highest job related fatality rate of all industries. As to the amount of regulations, we not only have to comply with federal, but every single state and municipality we cross has a bunch of their own. Nation wide (excluding the non-contiguous states of Hawaii and Alaska) there are more than 60,000 laws specifically written for commercial vehicles. As to those that commented on my attitude, I try to operate safely and legally. I just will not put up with arrogant punks. And, I will not kill myself because someone else was stupid. My evasive maneuvering is limited to those that will not put me at increased risk for the sake of someone stupid. I will try to avoid the innocent, I will even try to avoid the stupid. But, if it is the innocent vs stupid or me vs stupid, then stupid will lose every time.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 6:26:47 PM EDT
Oh yeah, NC cop. By the way, where are we supposed to go? How many drivers have been cited in the gorge because they moved to the left lane because a cop was sitting there with the lights on or to make room for a vehicle getting on from the rest area? You want to pay the friggen fine when I move to the left lane because some idiot highway patrol stops around a blind curve and the history of no common sense in law enforcement with the NC highway patrol?
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 7:00:00 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Aimless: Didn't Florida pass a law along these lines when they had a bunch of robberies by fake police officers around the mid-90s? The NY State Police have a departmental policy against it, but one of our local department's doesn't (revenue before safety of the citizens!). With the newer cars not having lights on top and few/no markings on the hood they are a lot tougher to spot now anyway (and probably wasting a lot less gas).
View Quote
I have no idea what Florida has with regard to laws preventing law enforcement from using unmarked/non-uniformed officers from making car stops, but, I'm sure someone working law enforcement down there could let us know. As far as NY State police are concerned I mentioned the department policy because of them. Recently, the governor ordered the state police to conduct their highway enforcement with 'marked' cars, not unmarks after an incident in NYC or Long Island I think. Someone refused to stop for a uniformed officer in a unmarked car. It made the papers.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 7:07:25 PM EDT
Pale Pony has it right. Appear in court, plead innocent, let the cop that wrote the ticket state what happened, then object on the gounds of hearsay. It's extremely unlikely that the cop that clocked you will be in the court to testify.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 8:52:38 PM EDT
Originally Posted By PsyWarrior: Oh yeah, NC cop. By the way, where are we supposed to go? How many drivers have been cited in the gorge because they moved to the left lane because a cop was sitting there with the lights on or to make room for a vehicle getting on from the rest area? You want to pay the friggen fine when I move to the left lane because some idiot highway patrol stops around a blind curve and the history of no common sense in law enforcement with the NC highway patrol?
View Quote
I suppose one lane isn't enough for a trucker to miss a parked patrol car & a stopped vehicle....The whole point is that it isn't anyone's fault but the trucker's when he speeds. If he doesn't speed, tailgate, or violate any other M/V law, he doesn't get the ticket. It's not the public's fault that some A**hole in a truck is running late & doesn't care who he runs over. When the minority of truckers who drive like they own the damn highways start acting responsibly they won't have a problem either. I have seen cars hit from behind by doped-up truckers who couldn't stop. I have seen cars pinned between trucks & guardrails DELIBERATELY by truckers pissed off that the driver wasn't going fast enough to suit them. On I-26 in Spartanburg Co. several weeks ago a trucker was arrested and charged with ramming four or five vehicles. He obviously didn't worry too much about the safety of the people in the cars. You sound just like the small group of loudmouths on the CB radio who have to find someone else to blame everytime a truck wrecks. It has to be someone else's fault, because truckers never do anything wrong.....
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 9:57:48 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 10:05:36 PM EDT
Yesterday I saw a state trooper giving out a ticket wearing a ball cap, t-shirt, and jeans. Well, I have to assume he was a state trooper, since he was driving a state police cruiser. BUT, I am pissed off. My tax dollars pay for him to have uniforms. He should wear them. It is dangerous enough for both parties involved in a traffic stop, but to do so without uniform is unwise. And worse, to be driving an unmarked car AND not in uniform. That is dangerous for the general public. There have been many stops by people pretending to be LEO's, with terrible outcomes. If a LEO is undercover, STAY UNDERCOVER. If arresting someone, wear a damn uniform. Otherwise, how are we civilians supposed to tell the LEO's from the a$$holes, such as the pair from the LA bank robbery ("44 Minutes"). When I saw that thing on the news, at first I thought they were ATF or FBI agents going postal.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 11:56:06 PM EDT
None of these problems would occur if they allowed trucks to use the bike lanes. cynic
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 8:11:12 AM EDT
NCcop...Like I said, when he stops around a blind curve with his back end hanging into the travel lane, then no, one lane isn't enough. You want to talk about what you have seen? OK, Charlotte, I get rear ended by a van at a red light. I stopped, he didn't. I81 exit 210 in VA. Car comes onto the interstate, I move into the left lane out of courtesy, car is doing 45 mph and continues all the way into the left lane. I take as much of the shoulder as I can before I end up in the ditch and she side swipes me. This was at 2 AM. The prick cop finally shows up. I get out of the truck and the first thing out of his mouth is I don't want to hear a thing you have to say. The bitch hit me!!! Fortunately I had a witness also stop. Her excuse was thaat she wanted to get out of the way of the car getting on behind her. Wisconsin, I am making a legal left turn with a green arrow, car runs red light and clips my front bumper. NJ turnpike coming up on the GW bridge. car tries to cut in front of me to get ahead for the toll gate which is still a mile away. Coming from my right, I couldn't see him until it was too late. He clips my bumper and spins in front of the truck. He tells the cop that I should have moved for him. Bull shit, lane restriction, minimal traffic, plenty of room and he wants to cut in short? This past Thursday, I 65N from Birmingham. Coming out of construction. Posted lane restrictions trucks use LEFT 2 lanes only. I am in left lane passing a sub speed limit truck and a pickup squeezes in between us missing both by inches. He is pissed because I am in the lane that I am required to be in and slams on his brakes right in front of me. So, NCprick. You can keep right on believing your opinionated BS, but until you actually know what the hell you are talking about, FUCK YOU!!! Take the challenge or shut the fuck up!!! And before you try to turn it around and say I don't know how hard the donut brigade has it, I have several freinds that are police officers and have partaken of the ride along program. So, I have ridden with cops and seen their job, take the challenge and try ours. Until you do, you will be nothing but a little dumbass running your mouth about something you know nothing about.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 4:51:19 PM EDT
PsyWarrior I think it's common courtesy that if a cop or civilian is in the brake down lane stopped for what ever reason , a passing motorist should pull one lane to the left, to minimize the gust of wind that may knock them on there ass. Are you telling me that cops pull you truckers over for going into the left lane for this reason? I do this when I'm in my car never mind in a big truck. Don't you just love the people that think the break down lane is safe? Shit if I break down I continue all the way into the grass if possible.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 5:15:15 PM EDT
Nope nothing about 'uniform', please pay more attention jim!
View Quote
Who was driving the car? Santa Claus? [b][i]YOU[/b][/i] need to pay attention, nitwit.
Guess you missed my attempt at being a smartass.
View Quote
Actually, I caught your attempt at being a dumbass. It was very good.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 5:23:39 PM EDT
My only problem is when they got the construction speed and extra fines going on on a saturday or something when no one is there. They also call it a work zone for when they are working on an eixt 2 miles away, and they got the road barrels setup blocking the road for 5 miles in each direction when someone is working on the side of a road in asopt 100ft long.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 6:00:46 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Jim_Dandy: Who was driving the car? Santa Claus? YOU need to pay attention, nitwit.
View Quote
Did he have his red uniform on too?? Neither Tnar15 nor the actually article he linked mentions anything about how or who did the 'actually' stop. Let alone that it was done in 'UNIFORM' as you claim he stated. Many and I do mean many pd's use unmarked or marked cars without uniformed officers to conduct car stops, happens all the time. But, thanks for the kind words anyway Jim, always a pleasure reading the nice things you have to say about people.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 7:45:38 PM EDT
Many and I do mean many pd's use unmarked or marked cars without uniformed officers to conduct car stops, happens all the time.
View Quote
Name one that meets all of those criteria, pal. I doubt you can or will.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 8:43:35 PM EDT
I quess it really boils down to this,we are pissed off when police officers don't realize that we are the good guys(the ones that we pay to protect us)! So I quess they face so many lying assholes that it is really hard to find a true man or woman! I am a law abbiding citizen and I try to project that in any meeting with the police! Thats my job to protrey that to them,if they can't get that then I must have failed in my interaction with said people! Don't mean I got to get hostile! Just means I got to make the Man Aware that I am his provider and definatly on his side! And if that don't work ,fuck it time for court! Good Cops last much longer than bad cops,but its only the bad cops you remmemnber! Bob [:D]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 9:32:23 PM EDT
A plain clothes officer in an unmarked is going to get to follow me home. I'm not taking the risk that it's not some freak who's going to (try to) kill me. TS
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 5:13:05 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Jim_Dandy: Name one that meets all of those criteria, pal. I doubt you can or will.
View Quote
Sure thing pal. NYPD, the department I worked for for 20 years as a Sergeant makes non-uniformed car stops all the time. And of course, they also use unmarked cars doing this as well. Now what jim?
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 6:45:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/9/2003 6:46:13 AM EDT by Jim_Dandy]
Sure thing pal. NYPD, the department I worked for for 20 years as a Sergeant makes non-uniformed car stops all the time. And of course, they also use unmarked cars doing this as well. Now what jim?
View Quote
Oh, and they make these stops for traffic violations? Sorry, that doesn't quite fly. At any rate, you're all sore because you didn't pay any attention to the original posts and tried to make an inference where there wasn't one. Get over it.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 7:41:09 AM EDT
Hehe... what else would car stops be made for? Of course they are done for 'traffic' violations, elsewise the stops would be illegal.. :) Anyway, from your original post it sounded like you were making a point that the stops were 'actually being done by uniformed officers' like that was a requirement to make the stop legal. Why mention that in the first place, when no one else did, nor the article.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 2:45:20 PM EDT
Originally Posted By John40mm: PsyWarrior I think it's common courtesy that if a cop or civilian is in the brake down lane stopped for what ever reason , a passing motorist should pull one lane to the left, to minimize the gust of wind that may knock them on there ass. Are you telling me that cops pull you truckers over for going into the left lane for this reason? I do this when I'm in my car never mind in a big truck. Don't you just love the people that think the break down lane is safe? Shit if I break down I continue all the way into the grass if possible.
View Quote
Yes, John, that is exactly what I am saying. In the gorge, no matter what the reason, we will be cited and fined $450 if we get in the left lane. I have seen it for myself. Too many "jurisdictions" use trucks to generate revenue. They will come up with lane restrictions or split speed limits or set up speed traps and target trucks. I was pulled over in Winchester TN for going 3 MPH over the speed limit while being passed by a car. There was no warning sign that the speed limt was reducing and the lower speed limit sign was tucked half way behind a tree. The cop was sitting by the sign. A friend of mine was traveling on Hwy 78 in Alabama, just west of Birmingham. It is a 4 lane highway with lane restrictions. A car was sitting broke down in the right lane. Not on the shoulder, but smack dab in the middle of the lane. He went to the left lane to go around the broke down car and was cited $135 for a lane restriction. Try driving down I 75 in Georgia. They have a lane restriction there. Motorhomes and Florida snowbirds will drive in the center lane at 10MPH below the posted speed limit, but if we get in the left lane to go around, we are cited $350 for a lane restriction. We see this BS all over the country. These liberal dicks call it safety, but when you force congestion (which is what lane restrictions do) or force a particular type of vehicle to drive much slower (deliberately generate a rolling road block to piss of the cars and cause them to cut you off even more) it is not safety. It is more dangerous. Today, I was coming up I 75 from Atlanta. (I stopped by the house for dinner and to keep this thread alive) There was a construction zone with 3 miles advance warning. A sign at 3 miles, another at 2, another at 1, another at 1/2 and another at 1500 feet telling that the left lane was closed. A car tried to race up to the barrels and side swiped a Fedex truck. Totally smashed the right side of the car. The truck couldn't move to the right most lane because there was another vehicle there. NC Bozocop would probably blame that on the truck. I try to drive safely. I try to obey the law. Bozocop started this war with his comments. I am just trying to show our side of the daily constant abuse we get. I can't tell you how many times I have had to go to the shoulder or slam on the brakes because of a car doing something stupid right in front of me. Bozo cop is just jealous because he can't pass a CDL test. When he meets the challenge that I gave him, then he can run his mouth. He doesn't know me, but I guarantee that I know his mindset. I see it all the time. The little pieces of shit that hate everything about trucks but whine if the grocery store is out of something or a special order item doesn't get to the store when expected because the truck was delayed. If you wear it, use it, eat it, drive it, play with it, live in it, drink it, [b]HAVE IT[/b] a truck brought it. Quit abusing truckers. You don't know how damn close you are to a nationwide shutdown. We have just about had it with the abuse from bozocops and cars. Right now, we are on a minimal slowdown. Shippers and recievers are already bitching. If we shut down, it will take only 3 days for every store shelf in the county to be bare. Houses won't get built, hospitals won't get supplies. Oh, BTW John, you ever notice that it is almost always a truck driver that stops to help someone that is broke down? You know that it was a trucker that caught the DC sniper? You know that it was truckers that carried goods to the New York rescue crews on 911 at great expense to themselves? (we get on average 5.5 MPG diesel fuel at $1.45 per gal average. It costs on average 80 cents per mile to operate a truck. Truck prices are over $120,000 for a new tractor and $50,000 for a new trailer. Freight rates have not gone up in almost 20 years.) So, fuck bozocop and all the rest like him. If you haven't done it, then you don't know. Now you are probably wondering why someone would be a trucker with all that against them? Why join the army for their pay rate? I love to travel. I love to drive a truck. I love to meet new people. I love working hard and being relied on to get a job done. I just have to put up with a lot of BS in the process.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 4:09:18 PM EDT
PsyWarrior I never understood why they want trucks in the right lanes. I think it should be like this for a four lane highway: * traveling through fast--Left lane 4th * traveling through not so fast--3rd lane * going to take an exit coming up-- 2nd lane * taking this exit NOW --right lane 1st. I think the right lane should only be for people getting off and coming on to the highway. Seems logical enough, why make trucks keep breaking every time some Yahoo in his Mercedes stays in the 4th lane up to the last minute then realizes he needs to take this exit and cuts right across? I think everyone should stop using there cars and trucks. Lets see where all the lost revenue will come from then. Shit ,maybe cops will have nothing else to do except there job (going after the bad guys not people going to work) No highway details, no speeding tickets, no parking tickets, no sobriety check points, no seatbelt tickets , What would they do? Probably could lay most of them off, and save the taxpayers a bundle.
Top Top