Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/7/2003 7:16:49 AM EDT
A buddy of mine recently discovered A 1911 in his Late Grandfathers house. The numbers ans us property were removed. Is there a way the numbers can be restored and if so where can it be done. He wants to have it registered .
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 7:19:55 AM EDT
[#1]
They can do that just before his arrest.......
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 7:28:47 AM EDT
[#2]
sorry, IMHO it's now a "parts kit".

most cops don't know jack about the AW ban.... but they sure as hell will haul you in if they find a gun dith removed or defaced serial numbers.

"safest" answer is to chop/grind/melt the frame (just the frame) get a new frame and have that rebuilt.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 7:30:37 AM EDT
[#3]
When I was in the Air Force I had to try to restore a serial number on a part that had been accidentaly hit with a grinder when we were weld repairing it. I called the FBI and told them my story. They were sympathetic to my situation and told me that they use a muratic(I think) acid solution and 9 volts of current to raise the numbers. I'm not sure about the exact process because we didn't try it, but you can use this information as a good starting point.

BTW, it wont work if there has been a weld put over the stamped numbers or the area has been stippled with a punch. The process defines the disturbed grain boundries in a metal. In my line of work we acid etch everyday on aluminun and it shows disturbed grain boundries quite nicely.

Good luck.

Edited to add: I'd put that pistola away in a closet and keep it for the sentimental value only. Don't say shit about it to nobody till you pass it on to your son.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 7:31:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Yep. Sounds like a "drop" gun to me.  

CHRIS
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 7:53:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info, i will tell him !
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 8:44:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Evidence folks can pull old serial numbers wihout too much difficulty, and I think that the serial number requirement did not kick in until the Gun Control Act of 1968. If it was made prior to that, it may be legal. Bear in mind though, that it might be a stolen weapon, especially if it was a US property marked M1911.

I am not sure what the legal route would be to find out the serial number and legal staus of this weapon would be. You would probably be okay to work through your local PD, but they might not want to spend the time to raise the serial number and run the weapon, and you could ppossibly face criminal charges, though that is somewhat doubtful if you are going to the police to "do the right thing." Getting the weapon back is not assured, though. Working through a gunsmith might work. It might be best to just turn it in, though I would work that through an intermediary like your lawyer, for your own protection, and let the chips fall where they may.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 9:01:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Check all over the frame for the serial number stamped in a second place.  My Sistema Colt has it stamped on the outside of the frame itself, and again under the mainspring housing (so if you pull the mainspring housing off it is revealed).

Kharn
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top