Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/6/2003 11:16:17 PM EDT
Heh heh. [img]http://web.axelero.hu/szlejer2/squib.jpg[/img] Stole this from HKPro, I hope the guy doesn't mind. The guy said this was a from a customer's gun sent back to B&T (Swiss MP5 clones, good ones). I suspect that it's a test bbl that they purposely plugged to test a 'what if?' scenario. Either way it's pretty interesting. If it really is a customer's gun, what do you think was going through his mind at the range when this occurred???
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 11:53:55 PM EDT
I dunno, but I have a friend with a Class III MAC that had this happen and I can tell you what HE thought. "Oh shit!".....as the cyclic rate suddenly sped up and then the backplate blew off and whizzed past his face.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 1:14:05 AM EDT
As far as that pic goes I don't know. A squib is normally the fake gunshot pack (a small explosive with a blood pack to simulate a wound) used in movies.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 1:56:39 AM EDT
Squib is actually "squid" spelled by a dyslexic person! Haha.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 2:49:44 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 3:36:49 AM EDT
I think it's a small/young pigeon....err, wait, that's squab Never mind
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 3:49:55 AM EDT
During room entry drills with simmunitions, the girl in front of me (the first person into the room) layed into a target with about six rounds. It was only about 10 feet away and she never hit it. The instructor came unglued and screamed at her for about two minutes. I checked her gun ( and fired two rounds) and found that all the rounds were still in the barrel. It took a punch and a lot of force to get all eight rounds out of the barrel.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 4:32:17 AM EDT
Originally Posted By QUIB: A "squib" is also the term used for the small explosive charge which releases the extinguisher agent on aircraft fire bottles. Not to be confused with me....."quib".
View Quote
Exactly!!
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 4:37:09 AM EDT
A squib is also a sea monster. Nemo's submarine in "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" was attacked by a giant squib.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 4:53:41 AM EDT
An example of an Aircraft fire extinguisher: [img]http://www.kiddeaerospace.com/titanium.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 5:03:39 AM EDT
Originally Posted By entropy: An example of an Aircraft fire extinguisher: [url]http://www.kiddeaerospace.com/titanium.jpg[/url]
View Quote
No, that's a Sputnik you bought for $25,000, correct? [:D]
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 5:26:42 AM EDT
The term squib is normally used to describe an initiator in an explsive device or in a rocket/missile motor. They are usually electrically fired. Sometimes they are also used to start up one-shot electric battery power supplies in say...nuclear weapons.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 6:43:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/7/2003 6:54:02 AM EDT by Pangea]
Originally Posted By HKocher: If it really is a customer's gun, what do you think was going through his mind at the range when this occurred???
View Quote
I'd say that he/she's lucky that the bolt didn't go through their mind. I saw a ruger 10/22 barrel cutaway that looked similar to that back years ago. Scarry. BTW, squibs are easy to make. I have made them with my son years ago for the sake of his inquisitiveness. We had a model rocket that FTF so we made some souped up squibs that were sure fire. That experiment led to others that were a little more potent. Potent enough to use as initiating charges for blasting rocks on our sidehill property. Start with a piece of thin wire as in one strand of wire from an old extension cord. Fold it into a V and use masking tape to "insulate all but the three ends. Using a paste of blackpowder, make a ball no bigger than 1/4 inch or less. Depending on what you want to do with it. Mash the wet ball of blackpowder paste onto the V end and let dry completely. Once dry coat with epoxy or paint. You have a squib that will initiate a model rocket or anything else [;D] you might want to pop. Remember, It's all fun and games till somebody loses an eye!
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 7:04:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/7/2003 7:19:21 AM EDT by Cixelsyd]
Originally Posted By Charging_Handle: Squib is actually "squid" spelled by a [red]dyslexic[/red] person! Haha.
View Quote
<----- HEY!!!!! CHRIS
Top Top