Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/6/2003 10:28:27 PM EDT
Hi, I am planning on buying my first rifle. I only have about $400 to spend. I have never use a firearm before and would like something that I can learn to shoot with. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 10:30:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy a cheap bolt action .22 for around $150.

Then spend the rest on training and practice.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 10:33:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Have you ever shot before, or just seing what shooting is all about?

Also where in OH are you?

Would like to welcome you to the great AR15.com. There are a bunch of great guys willing to answer almost any question you have.

Make sure and check out the Hometown Forum.

Link Posted: 6/6/2003 10:55:53 PM EDT
[#3]
gonna second Sgtar's suggestion. a good .22

good Luck and BE SAFE!
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 10:57:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
gonna second Sgtar's suggestion. a good .22

good Luck and BE SAFE!
View Quote

I 3rd it!!!
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 11:07:44 PM EDT
[#5]
The Marlin 25N. Very nice little bolt action. I have one 'tricked out' with a BSA scope, bipod, and sling. You can't go wrong with this gun. Then go to Wal-Mart and stock up on el cheapo Golden Bullet ammo. Buy some CCI Mini-Mag ammo if you really want quality.

Then shoot, shoot, shoot!

[url]http://www.marlinfirearms.com/firearms/boltAction22/25N.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 11:13:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the responces.  I was just wondering, since I'm left handed, will the bolt be a problem for me.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 11:17:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thanks for the responces.  I was just wondering, since I'm left handed, will the bolt be a problem for me.
View Quote

GEEEEEEEZ!!! Only two posts and ALREADY he throws a wrench in the works!!! [;)]
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 11:44:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

GEEEEEEEZ!!! Only two posts and ALREADY he throws a wrench in the works!!! [;)]
View Quote

ROFLMAO!!!!

SansGuns, check out the Savage website.  I think they make a lefty model, just for you!

Be sure to get some training from someone who has good gunhandling/safety skillz before you load up, ok?  The NRA has a lot of resources and puts on classes all over the country.  Be sure to check out this page if you have trouble finding someone to show you the ropes.  Don't be too proud, be safe instead.

[url]http://www.nra.org/frame.cfm?url=http://www.nrahq.org/education/training/basictraining.asp[/url]

And welcome!
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 11:52:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

From what i have seen, It is your eye domination that matters. friend of mine is a righty yet shoots lefty... He is left eye dominant.

The way to find out is make a circle with your thumb and pointer like you are giving the "OKAY" sign. Stretch that arm outward and with both eyes open, look through the circle at an object across the room. Close your left eye. if that object is STILL in the circle... you are left eye dominant, if it is NOT in the circle, do the same thing with the right eye. Should be in the circle.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 11:56:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Working version of TheKill's link:  [url]http://www.nrahq.org/education/training/basictraining.asp[/url]

[img]photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=476[/img]
[url=www.nra.org][b][red]NRA[/red][/url] [url=www.nra.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.gunowners.org][b][red]GOA[/red] [/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.saf.org][red]SAF[/red][/url] [url=www.saf.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/url]
[url=sas-aim.org][red]SAS[/red][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/b][/url]
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 11:58:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I haven't been here that long but the general opinion on this board [b]whenever you are unsure of what gun to buy [/b]...

[b]buy some gun named [red]"Both"[red].[/b]

Seriously, I agree with the advice already given.  A bolt gun with a light recoil and cheap to shoot plus passing hunter's safety (you don't need to want to hunt to get the safety class benefit) as well as other instruction is the best bet for getting into the sport.

Welcome and you asked a good question.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 12:08:13 AM EDT
[#12]
My first rifle was my AR-15... wouldn't have it any other way :D  An AR was also the first rifle I ever shot.

The guy that took me shooting for my first time didn't really have any "beginner guns"...heh.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 12:40:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Get a .22 rifle and spend the rest on ammo and targets. Then gradually move up in caliber. A good second rifle would be a .223, such as an AR.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 12:42:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Working version of TheKill's link:  [url]http://www.nrahq.org/education/training/basictraining.asp[/url]

[url]photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=476[/url]
[url=www.nra.org][b][red]NRA[/red][/url] [url=www.nra.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.gunowners.org][b][red]GOA[/red] [/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.saf.org][red]SAF[/red][/url] [url=www.saf.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/url]
[url=sas-aim.org][red]SAS[/red][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/b][/url]
View Quote

Whoops!  Thanks! [:D]
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 12:59:17 AM EDT
[#15]
I'd go with a semi auto .22 myself (and I did) for a first gun.  You can still learn easily/safely enough, and lets face it they are more fun once you get the basics down too...  If you go that route may I suggest the Ruger 10/22?
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 5:23:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Ditto on the Ruger 10/22.  You can get one at Walmart for about $160.

Save up your money for a while and get a AR-15.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 5:45:53 AM EDT
[#17]
how about a nice bolt-action .17 HMR like Savage makes? all the advantages of the .22LR but you can reach further out if the desire to do so happens to tap you on the shoulder.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 6:37:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 6:45:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

From what i have seen, It is your eye domination that matters. friend of mine is a righty yet shoots lefty... He is left eye dominant.

The way to find out is make a circle with your thumb and pointer like you are giving the "OKAY" sign. Stretch that arm outward and with both eyes open, look through the circle at an object across the room. Close your left eye. if that object is STILL in the circle... you are left eye dominant, if it is NOT in the circle, do the same thing with the right eye. Should be in the circle.
View Quote

Are you sure that that's not reversed? I just tried it. When I close my LEFT eye, the object is still in the circle. Wouldn't that mean that my RIGHT eye is dominant?
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 10:15:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 10:42:30 AM EDT
[#21]
SKS, any variety.
Ammo is cheap, and plentiful.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 11:36:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Ruger 10/22                      $170(A good FFL Dealer)
5000rnds Remington Thunderbolt   $85([url]www.sportsmansguide.com[/url])
.22 cal cleaning kit(get an M16 kit, and buy some extra solvent and some good grease)             $15

For a starter gun, go with a 10/22, also get a scope from sportsmans guide for it. Makes for some very cheap plinking. Then once your used to shooting it, step up to an SKS (if you start out with something like a Mosin Nagant, youll develop a flinch QUICK)

Link Posted: 6/7/2003 12:33:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Perhaps , before you buy a gun , you should try and find a local shooting range in your area ,that rents guns ,  preferably one that offers some sort of instruction and learn the ropes as much as you can...

Also , ask people you know or work with if they are shooters and would mind helping you out...

as far as the gun issue itself goes , I concurr and will suggest a .22 rifle in some flavor to start with...

good luck

t
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top