Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/6/2003 3:08:59 PM EDT
These were picked out of my garden the last two days. It's tomato season in Texas. I love tomatoes. On a BLT. With Ranch dressing. Or with salt and pepper. [img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=13362[/img]
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 3:16:11 PM EDT
daaaaaaaaaamn, those look good... I'm thinkin' cheese sandwich w/ extra sharp cheddar, salt/pepper, mayo, lettuce...and thick slices of them tomatoes... [:P]
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 3:23:16 PM EDT
Originally Posted By ARgue: daaaaaaaaaamn, those look good... I'm thinkin' cheese sandwich w/ extra sharp cheddar, salt/pepper, mayo, lettuce...and thick slices of them tomatoes... [:P]
View Quote
Bring the extra sharp cheddar, salt/pepper, mayo, lettuce by and we'll put a couple together.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 6:05:02 PM EDT
I can never get mine to grow that big. What type are they? If you like the small cherry type try some Sweet 100's. When you get them going they will produce until the first frost. Nickel sized and sweet great for salads and such.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 6:34:15 PM EDT
Look'n good! BTW, what part of the state do you live in... (I am in Austin)my tomatoes are only about 3" tall and are just now blooming.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 7:54:08 PM EDT
So much for *Everything is Bigger in Texas*. Of course if they happen to be [red]CHERRY[/red] tomatoes, I humbly apologize. [:P] They look yummy! Who cares for a sandwich or salad or whatever! Just pass the salt shaker!
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 8:02:53 PM EDT
Man my mouth is watering already! Those babies look great! You don't happen to live in the Lufkin - Nacogdoches area do you?[:D] If you do I got the salt & pepper, cheddar cheese, bacon, lettuce, bread...Uh and anything we would need is just a few minutes away! Big(TheTomatoEating!)Dozer66
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 8:07:12 PM EDT
I just picked my first batch today. about half have "Blossom end rot". Don't know the correct term, that's just what we grew up calling it. Gonna have to doctor those babies up.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 6:18:15 AM EDT
Sorry I was gone for a while, I was asleep. [:D] Gopher, mine are mostly "Better Boys". I've not planted any cherry tomatoes this year, but they sure are nice on salads as you say. Mojo_Jojo and BigDozer66, I live in Nederland, near Beaumont, right near the Louisiana border and the Gulf of Mexico. Our season is early as it gets hot down here. chaos4570, mine had stem rot early also. I sprayed them with some stuff I got at the feedstore. I believe it is mostly calcium as the lack of calcium is what causes stem rot. It must have worked because they are all doing fine now.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 7:37:58 AM EDT
Heck, we are getting tomatoes that big from the plant my wife is growing in a flowerpot on the back porch. Everything is bigger in Texas.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 7:40:10 AM EDT
Nice looking fruit, though frankly I was expecting a BOTD thread. Better Boys work about that well in San Diego too.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 7:42:20 AM EDT
I've got some like that coming.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 8:52:09 AM EDT
Originally Posted By California_Kid: Nice looking fruit, though frankly I was expecting a BOTD thread. Better Boys work about that well in San Diego too.
View Quote
At my age, I'd just about as soon have the vegetables.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 9:01:29 AM EDT
I was at a friend's house, and we ate a tossed green salad, he didn't tell me he put some of his vine riped tomatoes in it. Man, it tasted so good over the typical grocery store green tomato chemically treated to turn orange, it was strange experience.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 9:07:42 AM EDT
Originally Posted By warlord: I was at a friend's house, and we ate a tossed green salad, he didn't tell me he put some of his vine riped tomatoes in it. Man, it tasted so good over the typical grocery store green tomato chemically treated to turn orange, it was strange experience.
View Quote
warlord, that is what everybody says about fresh tomatoes. I guess that they have to pick tomatoes kind of green to get them to the stores before they spoil. Vine ripened tomatoes are unlike store-bought. I only wish they were available for longer. It's feast or famine with garden stuff. I don't have any, then I have more than I can give away, then I don't have any again. But the feast part is sure fine.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 9:48:45 AM EDT
Feast or famine is right. Last year my Better Boys, traditional Beefsteaks, Romas, and San Diegos all did so well I ended up canning over 8 gallons of tomato sauce after I ran out of places to give them away. I haven't bought commercial tomato sauce in years.
Top Top