Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/6/2003 11:46:45 AM EDT
[url]http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/stats/team/team_127231.html[/url]

For those who are running SETI, what kind of systems are you running, what OS and how many machines you got running? I have 2 4p systems dedicated and several 1p systems...
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 11:50:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm running it on my "old" desktop which has Win XP (and pretty much does nothing but SETI) and I ran it on my new laptop which has a heavily modified version of XP.

But ... I just switched laptops, and I'm hving problems with the new one, so I'm not going to install the SETI software onit until after I get back from this conference I'm going to next week.

I did make it about 1000 units though [:D]

Go team!
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 8:59:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, with my desktop crashing on me, I haven't run SETI for a while....I was booted from the list (inactive member).

The system is an Athalon XP 1.4Ghz chip w/ Windows XP Home.

Edit-I'm back...added to the group.  I only have 330 units (and that was from back in April).... new stuff being crunched as we speak.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 9:04:27 PM EDT
[#3]
2 - 1 gig AMDs (when the wife leaves it running on hers)
SSD
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 10:00:34 PM EDT
[#4]
FYI, there's also an NRA SETI team.  

[url]http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/stats/team/team_6434.html[/url]

Link Posted: 6/8/2003 10:21:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 11:02:08 PM EDT
[#6]
#45) gaspain   287wu's

average speed 2:44 (actually 2.20 a WU for this one pc, the overall average speed is taking into consideration a slow 300mhz laptop that does 12hrs a WU- 2 machines process more however the laptop skewed my speed)

Athlon XP2700+ Overclocked to a XP3000+

I had to quit processing seti because [B]electic bill doubled[/B] because of my damn monster

Athlons are the way to go vice Intel because of the lower Mflops a second-(means you can do more work)

for more info check out the forums at overclockers.com, their seti team is a great source to steal their technology
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 4:00:03 AM EDT
[#7]
I have an extra old computer sitting around somewhere. Can I participate, even if it is a 400 mhz celeron?
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 4:55:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 12:54:06 PM EDT
[#9]
The primary box is an old Dell dual P-Pro 180 that I picked up for 75 bucks when my old dot-com went dot-bomb.

SETI runs full time on it (in addition to being a print and MP3 server for my network).  It's running 2k Pro on 98MB of RAM.

Takes about 36 hours per work unit.

I also am running it on my primary desktop which I just upgraded from an Athlon 950 to an Athlon XP 2500+ running XP Pro SP-1 on 512MB.

That one takes 3 1/2 hours per work unit, but it only runs SETI when I'm sleeping.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top