Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/6/2003 9:16:59 AM EDT
Hey,

I am going to be making a DVD of the home videos of my son. I want to get a printer to burn the DVD labels in color. Anyone have a suggestion for a printer that will print lables that will hold up? I don't want to spend more than $200.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 9:34:28 AM EDT
[#1]
There are a variety of manufacturers selling mid price ranged color inkjet printers for less than $200.
I've had very good luck with any of the HP series of inkjet products.  Lots of models to choose from,  the HP6122 is around $150 I think...
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 9:38:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Will the print hold up to water and oils from your skin or does it smear easily?

I have an old 820cse. The color runs so badly that any watersource ruins the print.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 9:57:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Do a quick search on waterproof inks.  I think there are some companies making them for HP...Canon maybe, not sure about the rest.

Check out [url]www.cnet.com[/url] for some of their printer reviews.  One big thing is the cost per page.  Some inkjets are total pigs, others are relatively conservative about ink use.  It also depends on the print quality but there's still a baseline for how many pages you get per cartridge.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 10:19:48 AM EDT
[#4]
There are a few water proof ink cartrides out there but they are a bit more expensive.
Basically inkjet inks are either dye based(not water proof) or pigment based(waterproof).
For the most part almost all printers use dye based inks so you'll have that smear problem if you get your print wet...
The type of media that you use, to a small degree, can also help hold the ink better.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 10:38:51 AM EDT
[#5]
I have an Epson Stylus C82 with durabrite ink.
It was $129.00 at Staples and it prints beautiful photos with waterproof ink.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 10:49:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Good intell RIDGE, definitely worth looking into..
[url]http://www.inkjetart.com/news/duratech/[/url]

edited to correct link....
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 11:05:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Ditto Epson C82.  Cheap, near photo quality.  Ink doesn't run.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 11:33:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have an Epson Stylus C82 with durabrite ink.
It was $129.00 at Staples and it prints beautiful photos with waterproof ink.
View Quote

Good choice! Go for the Epson.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 1:29:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks guys, I'll check out the C82. Anyone know if any good sales?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top