Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/5/2003 6:50:17 PM EDT
I WAS JUST NEEDED ADVICE ?
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 6:51:35 PM EDT
[#1]
A whole lotta fun to plink with. Decent accuracy. Sure, it doesn't look as cool as a cx4 storm, but this isn't better homes and gardens, now it it?

Ever hear of the General Firearms discussion forum?
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 6:54:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 6:56:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes. Buy it. They are cheap to buy, cheap to feed, and really fun.
They are also reliable as hell.
Sure, Hi-Point tends to produce more lemons than the higher dollar maufacturers- but I have read MANY more "BUY IT"'s than I have "this thing is a POS".

Personally, i'd say look around and get a Ruger PC for $350. Now [b]THAT[/b] is a helluva little pistol caliber carbine.
But the HiPoint is neat too fora hundred bucks.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 7:10:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I like my Hi-Point just fine.  It is accurate and reliable.  I've put lots of rounds through it with no problems yet.  When the Beretta comes out, I'll likely give the Hi-Point to my son, but for now, it's loads of fun to shoot.  I also like it much better than the Ruger, just because you can shoot it with your head more erect, like an ar.  The Ruger is way overpriced for less accuracy, and shoots more like a hunting rifle.  I don't want to hunt with a 9mm carbine, I want to shoot for fun.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 7:11:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I WAS JUST NEEDED ADVICE ?
View Quote

main screen turn on
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 7:15:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 7:17:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Hi-Point 9mm Carbine
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 7:28:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
 I also like it much better than the Ruger, just because you can shoot it with your head more erect, like an ar.  The Ruger is way overpriced for less accuracy, and shoots more like a hunting rifle.  I don't want to hunt with a 9mm carbine, I want to shoot for fun.
View Quote

Hi-POint more accurate my ass.
I own 2 Ruger PC's (PC9 and PC4) and a Hi Point.
No friggin way. My Rugers are DEFINITLEY more accurate.
Also, the Ruger can eat +P+++ loads (where the hi-point would turn to dust).
As far as "holding your head up", that's a form issue more than a gun issue. And the Ruger comes with intergral scope basesso you can mount a dot sight as high as you want.

I don't get off on a pistol grip [i]that much[/i] to ever pick a Hi-POint over a PC, but the Hi-Point is a fine gun for what it is.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 7:29:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't consider this a scare tactic cause it is my only experience with Hi-point and could have been a fluke. A friend on a limited budget bought one(9mm). We go to the range and since he has the newest hardware he shoots first. He loads up, takes aim and fires one round. We load him up and what's left of the gun and head for the hospital where he gets 12 stitches for hand lacerations. The damn thing just came apart. I mean there was the explosion of the cartridge but the gun 'popped' apart kinda like a toy derby car. You know the ones that the hood and doors fly off of and the bumpers pop out when they run into something? Anyway it broke into four pieces, the slide broke in two and the frame broke at the trigger guard up through the rails. I'm pretty sure he's still got it, I'll try to get pics. Probably not what you wanted to hear but others seem to have had better luck.

EDIT: What the hell are we talkin about, handguns or carbines?
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 7:43:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I like my Hi-point carbine. Its never jammed or had any malfunctions. I have shot about 500 rounds through it and it was used when I picked it up. I paid $100 and it had a 4x Tasco on it. Accurate and fun to dick around with shootin cans and what not.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 7:48:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Hi-Point 9mm Carbine
View Quote

NO, I would not buy a Hi Point 9mm carbine, I
think it's a worthless piece of junk! [argue]

Link Posted: 6/5/2003 8:18:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I got one for my birthday last year and it has been a hoot to shoot.  I love the sights on the thing and it digests all kinds of ammo easily.  My bitches with the thing are that there are no hicap mags for 'em and the bolt doesn't stay open after the last round is shot.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 8:28:14 PM EDT
[#13]
The only thing I know about them, is that is what the gangbangers used a couple weeks ago to shoot up a couple rival gang's houses from the street here in my little podunk WI town!

Oh yeah.....the SO detectives needed Spanish interpreters to interview the "victims" and the perps too.  I wonder if they deported anyone?

Bah.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 8:29:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Do you plan on filming a seqal to planet of the apes? If not I would not buy it.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 8:37:18 PM EDT
[#15]
I have one. It's fun to shoot. No problems.
Kev
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 8:37:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Do you mean the carbine, or the huge 'imitation glock' 9mm pistols???

Carbine:
No, I'd rather have a 9mm AR upper...

Pistol:
Yeah right... The choice of street thugs everywhere (cause it's so big & mean looking)... [;)] Full-size 9 means '92FS' for me...

Link Posted: 6/5/2003 8:39:04 PM EDT
[#17]
I've got one, my buddy has one...they work fine, and they're great fun for the money.  Don't expect much in the way of refinement, though, 'cos you won't find it.  I haven't seen too many posts by people who actually have one that say they're disappointed.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 8:48:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Hi Point 9mm carbine? Arent those the guns they used on Planet of the Apes?
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 8:48:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The only thing I know about them, is that is what the gangbangers used a couple weeks ago to shoot up a couple rival gang's houses from the street here in my little podunk WI town!

Oh yeah.....the SO detectives needed Spanish interpreters to interview the "victims" and the perps too.  I wonder if they deported anyone?

Bah.
View Quote

Heh...

I was in my local gun shop once, and these 2 Jr thug-types (barely 21, if...) came in oggling a big ol Hi-Point 9mm pistol (think Desert Eagle big, but in 9mm)... I don't know if they passed the NICS (or even came back to sign up), 'cause they walked out after asking the owner what they needed to 'qualify' for it, and he responded by going through all the things that mean 'no guns for you'... Something like (GSO) 'You can't have any felony convictions', (Customer) 'How do I know if I have one?', etc... Somewhat odd... They sure were impressed by my AR-15, too (i.e. How'd you get one of those, aren't they banned???)...
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 8:52:24 PM EDT
[#20]
I'll add one more "fun to shoot, decent accuracy".
I had one for a while, and had no problems with it. I put a Wal-Mart special, 3-9x scope on it and had no problem splattering eggs with it at 50 yards.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 9:14:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 2:44:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Thank you for your post,Found a 9mm for 200 dollars, plus 500 rounds. Hope i got a good price.....I love to plink....
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 2:57:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Is it stolen or made by Davis Industry?
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 3:27:59 AM EDT
[#24]
HI Points are jsut like fat chicks:
Fun to hammer on, until your friends find out.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 5:35:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Hi Point 9mm carbine? Arent those the guns they used on Planet of the Apes?
View Quote

No, those were M1 Carbines.

As for the Hi-Point carbine, they seem OK. Fun little plinkers for $100.

Never tried the handgun.

Av.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 5:52:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 10:43:31 AM EDT
[#27]
It's brand new, my best friend is a gun shop owmer, he also gave me the 500 rounds of 9mm blazer. To shoot today, and I shot 500 rounds with out a hitch, you guys were right great little plinker for the money..........thanks.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 11:48:34 AM EDT
[#28]
NO WOULD NOT, THINK JUNK
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 11:50:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Those things are SOOO ugly, I don't think I could even hold one, let alone buy one. Heheh
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 11:56:54 AM EDT
[#30]
No, if I was in the market for a goober gadget I'd get a 16" barrel and buttstock for a 1911. If you buy them at a gun show they often come with free beef jerkey. [:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top