Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/5/2003 6:20:03 PM EDT
I recently bought a cheapo airsoft Sig 220 and it's been a hoot to shoot around the house. So I got to thinking an airsoft AR15 would be cool to practice with indoors but I have no idea as to what's good and what's not.

Prices seem to vary quite a bit also. Can someone please clue me in?
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 9:57:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I ordered my [b]Tokyo Marui MP5K-PDW[/b] AEG from [url]http://www.wargameclub.com/WGC_Shop[/url].  At the time, December 2001, they were the cheapest I could find on the net. (That didn't have the HK trademark(s) removed and that the orange muzzle paint WAS removable.)

I spent about $500-$600 on it and accessories.  Unless you get 2 or know a buddy that has one the novelty will wear off after a while.

My understanding is you're not supposed to keep the battery charged when stored, so you have to wait 30-60 minutes for it to charge.  You're also not supposed to re-use the BB's, like you can and probably do with your Sig 220, so it seems almost like your wasting BB's target practicing.

If I had to do it again, I'd have gotten a [b]"full metal"[/b] ICS MP5SD3.

I also like the lower capacity magazines, they feed more reliably, then the high caps.  Though I may have messed up my 200 round mag by spraying lube on the feeder-scooping-thing, so it doesn't grab the BB's as well as it should.

I don't know if this helped you any... if you have any specific questions, I may be able to help.  I did research airsoft pretty well before I spent my money.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 10:31:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I had a P99 Airsoft and I loved playing with that thing.  It was accurate across the room and was realistically weighted and balanced.  Check out www.tokyohobby.net    They have the best prices on the net, the shipping is a bit steep (from Tokyo) but you can find the MP5K PDW on special for $112 and it is select fire and battery-powered.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 11:21:09 PM EDT
[#3]
there are teams that compete around here
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 2:37:59 AM EDT
[#4]
There are big time teams that play here too.  I picked up an m4 to shoot the other kids with at the CQB range down the street.  If you want cheap and just want to play around then get a cheap pump version of any gun and have at it.  If you want to do any thing else then your going to spend some money.  Gas and batterys cost cash.  My first $20 pump pistol is still my back up of chice when pallying and just messing around the house.  

P.S. My wife does not like vacumeing up the 6mm plastic bbs.  Make a target box or something and recycle the bbs only from a pump weapon.  You can not recycle from an AEG or gas weapon, fresh bbs only.  
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 5:16:42 AM EDT
[#5]
A buddy of mine has the Airsoft version of the FN P90. 480 fps, select-fire, and holds like 200 rounds. I looks very realistic and is fun as hell to play with.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 5:20:39 AM EDT
[#6]
You can buy Excel BBs, which are supposedly bio-degradable, to shoot outdoors without having to clean them up.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 5:40:20 AM EDT
[#7]
are these things accurate?
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 6:03:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Are the plastic BB's hollow?  Or can they be hollowed out a little, have a drop of mercury put in and then epoxied closed?

Can you put laser sights on them?  Where in the house do you guys hide your airsofts from your parents?

What size lead shot can be substituted for these BB's and where can I buy them?  Also, when and where are the next co-called "games"?
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 7:02:32 AM EDT
[#9]
I have the m-16 a1 style battery operated one.
http://home.attbi.com/~amhsia/airsoft1.jpg
redwolf.com is one of the places to get one, but I got mine in hong kong about 10 years ago.
They are consistent, the sights do not usually show where they hit, but you can put one on top of the other in single shot at around 25 yrds, 50 indoors. You can also order heavier BB's so they don't get blown around as much.
IT is so cool to be able to select full auto and blast the heck out of a target. You really have to move it around to try not to hit in the same spots.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 2:04:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Are the plastic BB's hollow?  Or can they be hollowed out a little, have a drop of mercury put in and then epoxied closed?

Can you put laser sights on them?  Where in the house do you guys hide your airsofts from your parents?

What size lead shot can be substituted for these BB's and where can I buy them?  Also, when and where are the next co-called "games"?
View Quote

Mercury? Why not go all out for ammonia triiodine(don't remember the naem, it is a touch explosive)?
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 2:30:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Buy a Classic Army AR15, ICS makes a nice MP5, but classic army makes one of same quality but with a flashlight.

Then you might want to buy a torque-boosting gear set, the most powerfull motor, and the most powerfull spring available. This would boost the guns muzzle velocities to 650+ fps (that can do ALOT of damage given that it's a bb-gun, airsofters who dont wear masks get teeth knocked out by 450fps 'sniper' airsoft rifles once in a while).

Wargamers shop is a great place.

(i had a airsoft bug a while back, so I have plenty of cheap links to buy, and stuff like that. kontakt if you want)
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 2:50:48 PM EDT
[#12]
IBTL---sumone suggesting NO-NOs, lol.
im lookin at gettin into airsoft myself..
www.airgunstore.com
i believe has em

Link Posted: 6/6/2003 3:01:32 PM EDT
[#13]
I am looking to sell my Airsoft Elite MP5 A4 if any of you are interested.

It's the latest upgraded version MP5 from Airsoft Elite. This AEG has an all-metal body with a reinforced front cocking tube (metal cocking handle). It features the quick takedown receiver. It has been factory upgraded to include:

-reinforced gearbox
-reinforced gears
-metal bushings
-aluminum piston
-upgraded spring (M100)
-metal spring guide with bearings

It has the upgraded metal tappet plate as well. It's in perfect condition and ready to go. It shoots around 320-330 fps with the M100 spring, which is perfect for skirmishing. If you want to bring it up to 400 fps, just install a $12 M120 spring and you're good to go--no other upgrades are necessary since the gearbox, gears, etc. are already upgraded to handle the higher power spring.

This rifle has never been skirmished or even taken outside. I have fired less than 1500 rounds through it in short full-auto bursts. It has the newer Navy-style lower receiver with Safe, Semi, and Auto selector positions.

I also have a 200 round hi-cap magazine, an 8.4v 1800 mAh battery plus charger, a 3-point tactical sling and around 1500 Excel .20g BBs.

Something that you usually won't find with an Airsoft gun that this one has is a 180-day warranty on "internal parts" from manufacturer defects. The warranty still has some time left on it, though it won't likely be needed.

I bought it to see what the fuss with Airsoft is all about, but I have decided that without a team or time to play, I had better spend my money on mags and ammo to feed my real rifles instead.

I am asking $300 plus shipping for the whole package (AE v3.5 MP5A4 + battery + charger + tactical sling + hi-cap mag).
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 6:02:45 PM EDT
[#14]
If you do get another one make sure it has an adjustable hop up system(puts backspin on bb causing it to fly straight for longer distances).  As for accuracy they are fairly accurate and if set properly their very accurate.  You might want to check out redwolfairsoft.com they have AEG's(Automatic Electric Guns), Gas powered Handguns, and Less expensive spring guns.  Some of the guns they carry are PSG-1, M16's, MP5's, Steyr Aug, and plenty of other variants.  I personally bought the FN P90 package for $400 and got a Glock 19 for about $120.  Most of the AEG's range from $150-$1500+ it all depends on what performance that you want to get.  Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 6:15:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Ok, getting some good info.

Now what is the difference in electric and gas?

Which is cheaper and easier to run?

Keep in mind I know nothing. Give the elementary school info please.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 9:20:15 PM EDT
[#16]
An Electric (Automatic Electric Gun - AEG) is the way to go if you plan to play games with others outdoors.  For plinking or indoors play a gas pistol is nice since it operates more realistically, the slide cycles on every shot, locks back after the last mag, etc.  That cycling slide gives some sense of recoil and thus feels more realistic.  The electric guns don't have that (the gas rifles don't do this either I don't believe, they are expensive and rare so I wouldn't even consider one).  They both reload from realistic mags though...  I would get one of the Tokyo Marui AEGs, in fact I am placing an order for a TM Colt M733 Commando in a couple days from [url]http://www.wargameclub.com/WGC_Shop/[/url]  Can't wait...

I just got done selling my gas pistol (A $100 KSC M9 from [url]www.airsoftatlanta.com[/url].  It is nice, and would be great to plink with around the house or play indoors with like I said.  But for playing outside with other guys with rifles I was getting outgunned.  In fact I hadn't used the pistol in 6 months in games, I was borrowing an AEG from a guy that had more than one.  Some of the cheaper gas pistols that run around $100 are more affordable than the AEGs to start with, but gas is not cheap and goes too fast IMO.  Charging up a battery is much better than plunking down $10-$20 for a can of gas everytime you turn around...  

The "springer" single shot airsoft guns are cheap substitutes, not worth a spit to play with IMO.  But for just popping off shots in your house they are good enough, and by far the cheapest.  If you're not serious about playing wargames these aren't bad.  

Link Posted: 6/6/2003 9:31:02 PM EDT
[#17]
If you want realisim, go for high end gas guns, such as the guns from Western Arms ( the king of all Airsoft .45 makers ). These guns are flawless in detail, accurate, powerful, and just a blast to own.

If you are on a budget, go for springer rifles and pistols. The new DPMS A-15 is one of the best - powerful enough to leave a nasty mark, and accurate enough to get headshots ( as in forehead, nose, etc. )at over 100'. It has a mag capacity of 50 rounds, and fires at about 274 FPS - the same as a TM M-16A2 AEG.

For a springer pistol, go for TM HGHU ( high grade hop up ) versions, and the heavy weight KWC models. The best of the TM pistols are the 1911A1 and the MK-23 - both can shoot accurately out to over 120' ( chest shots ), both field strip, and both look very good.

If you want advice on Airsoft guns, come to me. I play huge games all the time. Back in the days of high school, I didn't know much about it, but my shooting buddies resort to Airsoft when shooting at each other... .223s hurt.. : P  

Here's four sites to learn about, and buy Airsoft guns:

www.Airsoftplayers.com
www.Airsoftretreat.com
www.shortyusa.com
www.redwolfairsoft.com

No matter what gun you want, it can be done in Airsoft. Any model, any performance, anything.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 9:56:14 PM EDT
[#18]
First of all, as a beginner, you should get yourself a Tokyo Marui gun.  If you don't plan on playing seriously or in woodlands, don't upgrade it.  Stock Marui guns are durable as hell and hardly ever break down.  Even the most well done upgrade will increase wear on your gun and reduce its lifespan.  

Secondly, don't buy from Redwolf, they're overpriced and they've had some serious shipping probs in the past.  I'd go to either WarGameClub, or UN Company.  

Personally, I'm going to get my AEG from Uncompany.com because they have a better upgrade for the price (it includes bushings).  

Shipping, from a HK retailer, it's going to cost you 40-60 bux just for shipping alone.  Now, you can save on shipping and get it from an american company, but the guns are about 70-80 bux more and so are the accessories.  So on the whole, getting it from asia is cheaper.  
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 1:04:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Here's a site with metal bodies, and your choice of what "brand" you want yours to be; Knights?, Colt?, Oly?, USMC?
[url=boomarms.com/]Boom Arms[/url]
There's also a FAQ, and a discussion forum.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 12:55:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Ok, getting some good info.

Now what is the difference in electric and gas?

Which is cheaper and easier to run?

Keep in mind I know nothing. Give the elementary school info please.
View Quote

Electric uses an motor to actuate the piston.  Instead of cocking every shot like on your Sig 220.  

Gas, I'd believe, is just like a CO2 pellet gun and uses compressed air to launch the BB.

I went with an AEG, because I can just recharge my battery from a wall outlet (or automobile battery).  If you get Gas, you'll need to keep ordering it. (Bluntly, AEG's are cheaper!)

If you like shoting and just don't want to cock between shots, get an AEG.  If you want a high quality realistic gun, gas is better. (Like said above, most have slides that move with every shot.  Of course, I believe, this uses up some of your gas.)

Also, if you do order one, get a bunch of BB's for it.  Like I and others have said before, you're not supposed to reuse BB's.  Get at least 10,000, they WILL go fast.

Since you probably don't know.  AEG's need .2-.25 gram BB's.  Don't use anything lower or higher(unless you have certain guns or upgrades to do so.)

My MP5-PDW has a fully adjustable rear sight and is very accurate out to 30-40 feet.  It'll shot out passed 70 feet(? where I can't see the BB anymore), but it loses power quickly.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 4:17:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Tightwad alert!!!

Tapco has $20.00 electric airsoft that are a hoot.
ARs, AKs and HK91s.

I know, you're thinking junk, but who wants to spend $300-500 for a kid.

I bought mine for a ten year old and he and his buddies haven't torn it up yet in 6 months, so I've gotten my moneys worth.

The cat hates it though.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 12:59:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I am placing an order for a TM Colt M733 Commando in a couple days from [url]http://www.wargameclub.com/WGC_Shop/[/url]  Can't wait...

View Quote

Let me know how your dealings with them went....  I am in the market for one for my son.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top