Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/5/2003 2:13:12 AM EDT
Each year as Summer approaches, I find myself stocking up on this stuff. Don't get me wrong, I like water, sodas, Kool-Aid, whatever. But it seems that when working outdoors in high heat and humidity, nothing puts life back into you like good ol' Gatorade. This is now what I even use on hiking trips in my canteens. Anyone else here as fond of the stuff as me? BTW, my favorite flavor is the Riptide Rush sold under the Frost label. Man that is some refreshing stuff.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 2:34:59 AM EDT
[#1]
When things are super hot and im sweating buckets nothing beats cold water.  Although after a long day of snowboarding a good gatorade always refreshes and the added sweetness is an added extra.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 2:41:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Water fails to replace lost electrolytes in your body though. I load up on water prior to being in the heat, stay hydrated and then supplement w/ sports drinks though the day if I'm in extreme heat.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 2:43:05 AM EDT
[#3]
When I'm out working, I absolutely crave Gatorade.  On hot days when I'm working, it's either that or room temperature water.  Cold water on a hot day gives me an immediate headache and makes my throat hurt.

They say Gatorade is scientifically formulated to taste better the more dehydrated you are, and I really don't doubt it.  The more thirsty I am, the better that stuff seems to taste.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 2:44:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Hell yes,

At 44, I can't drink much that does not upset my stomach.

The only beverages I drink are; water, coffee, green tea, gatorade, beer.  In that order!!

On a really hot day nothing beats a gatorade, although I still like the lime flavor.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 4:30:00 AM EDT
[#5]
One of the best thirst quenchers I've found is chinese iced tea.
No sugar, just straight tea.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 4:44:40 AM EDT
[#6]

Hmm..  Ice tea has caffeine... meaning it actually dehydrates you by drinking it. Just like cokes. The more you drink.. The More thirsty you get.

Gatorade has like 127 mg of salt per 8 oz.

That's a lot of sodium for people especially if you downing a gallon a day..

Drink water and just supplement with Gatorade
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 4:48:47 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm a cyclist, so I drink it all summer.

It also works great to cure a hang-over.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 4:49:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Pedialyte replaces the electrolytes without the sodium.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 6:57:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Each year as Summer approaches, I find myself stocking up on this stuff. Don't get me wrong, I like water, sodas, Kool-Aid, whatever. But it seems that when working outdoors in high heat and humidity, nothing puts life back into you like good ol' Gatorade. This is now what I even use on hiking trips in my canteens. Anyone else here as fond of the stuff as me? BTW, my favorite flavor is the Riptide Rush sold under the Frost label. Man that is some refreshing stuff.
View Quote

I put the stuff in my camelback
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 7:01:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Yes, no doubt it works, it was invented at UF. [;)]

You can dilute it 50/50 with water and get the same results.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 7:09:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Nothing like GA and a Snickers bar to pick me up on a busy Sat. afternoon when I dont have time to stop and eat.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 7:10:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Watch how much you drink.  From what I have read, the sports drinks contain minerals which help produce kidney stones.   Not being one who wants to ever pee one of those things out....I will stick with water.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 7:20:12 AM EDT
[#13]
One of the minerals that Gatorade contains is sodium, which can be bad for those of us with high blood pressure, but is nonetheless essential for survival. One of the silent killers of summer is hyponatremia, a condition in which the body's serum sodium level is depleted. This can be fatal, and can be brought about by drinking only water to replace moisture lost through excessive sweating. In the extreme case, brain tissue can swell inside the cranium, creating disorientation, lethargy, seizures and even death.

As with just about anything, moderation is the key. I will vouch for Dredd308's claim that Gatorade helps relieve hangovers.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 7:25:41 AM EDT
[#14]
i drink water and eat potassium gluconate and some table salt.  seems to do the trick.  Gatorade makes me "sugar silly".
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 7:47:21 AM EDT
[#15]
For me, a cold Warsteiner!.....That's right, the more you drink, the more thirsty you get.......and until you drop......I love it! [:)]

Working?....Who said about working in the heat?

[img]http://www.warsteiner-usa.com/images/mainBeerImage.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 7:48:44 AM EDT
[#16]
I always stock up on the GA for race weekends. After a 25 min track session, I have soaked my driving suit, and have become completely dehydrated.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 8:09:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Its good occasionally but drinking it too much can give you kidney stones pretty bad.  

Keving67
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 8:09:33 AM EDT
[#18]
For those who don't know it, gatorade also makes powdered drink mixes that are sold in supermarkets. I like it when I only want a glass of it here and there, without opening a big bottle that I might not drink from again for a week or so. Plus you can mix the flavor stronger than bottled version.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 8:25:21 AM EDT
[#19]
We have large cans of the powdered Gatorade on all our engines, and brush trucks. It tastes great when you're dehydrated and worn out. Otherwise, it doesn't taste good to me at all.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 8:34:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
For those who don't know it, gatorade also makes powdered drink mixes that are sold in supermarkets. I like it when I only want a glass of it here and there, without opening a big bottle that I might not drink from again for a week or so. Plus you can mix the flavor stronger than bottled version.
View Quote

To expand on this a bit, you can also get the stuff in concentrated liquid form. This is very popular with construction workers, since the concentrated liquid can be added to an Igloo full of ice and doesn't need to be dissolved like the powder. Also, this time of year, it's not uncommon to be able to get free samples of the powder and concentrated liquid from [s]Graniger[/s] Grainger. They also run promotions where you buy a case of Gatorade and get a free Igloo cooler, or vice-versa.

Edited for spelling.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 8:37:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Gatorade is actually more effective than Pedialyte.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 8:39:22 AM EDT
[#22]

....and on the 8th day God made Gatorade to refresh his Creation.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 10:50:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Gatorade was especially invented for Pro NFL
football players, because they neededed more than just plain water, because they were exerting themselves much more than the average
person and they needed the added sodium, electolytes, and suger. They originally combined the saline mixture with "KOOL-AID" to
improve the flavor. Gatorade is useful for
anybody that is working out or sweating out in
the hot weather, atheletes, construction workers, hikers, etc. I love Gatorade, my favorite flavors are origianl lime, and the red
punch.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 10:59:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Check out another Gatorade product called "Propel" fitness water.

It ABSOLUTELY ROCKS!!!

Personally tested by ME in the Arizona desert in August.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 11:20:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sodium IS required by most people given enough exertion in heat...i.e. sweating.  The electrolyte balance MUST be maintained and if you were to only take in potassium, eventually muscle control would be lost and the old heart would stop beating.  Matter of fact, the standard protocol for lethal injection includes a big shot of potassium chloride to stop the heart from beating.  

Trust me, the salt is in there for more than just flavor.  Many an athlete has suffered from hyponatremia, this cyclist included.

On one extremely fast century in July Texas heat, I had loaded on water/glycerol 4 hours prior.  We started at 34 MPH for the first 50 miles and I didn't feel the need to drink which was a good thing considering this was a drafting pack/triple paceline of 80+ cyclists.  After that, I sucked both Gatoraide bottles in short order (25 miles) and hit some Gu.  By mile 85 I was spent and ended up finishing under 4 hours but was extremely ill.

Later that afternoon, I managed to order a margarita and immediately licked all the salt off, something I never did before.  My doctor friends diagnosed it as lack of salt.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 11:31:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Another note on sodium.  The body cannot control the excretion of sodium from sweat glands.  Kidneys and intestines are different, they will not over-excrete sodium.

Pedialyte therefore needs no sodium.  Gatoraide does and therefore, it has it.

Unless you are sweating, additional sodium is not required.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 11:41:59 AM EDT
[#27]

I only drink it when I'm riding my bike, and not really that much of it when you consider the dilution factor of the ice in the bottle.    
 It's better for me than that Allsport crap, talk about too sweet[XX(]
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 12:04:00 PM EDT
[#28]
You guys must not be eating properly if it takes a drink to maintain a propper sodium balance.

Link Posted: 6/5/2003 12:09:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
You guys must not be eating properly if it takes a drink to maintain a propper sodium balance.
View Quote

Actually, it's the potassium that you loose, especially if on BP meds and combining it with  a few hrs. of aerobic exercise like bike riding.

Not all of us are 18 yrs old. [BD]
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 12:15:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Drink a couple gallons of Grape and see what it does to your BMs -- bright green.  I thought it was something I ate until I mentioned it to my friend.  Same thing with him.

Most people consume way too much sodium.
Here's what a dietician has to say about it.
[url]http://www.frc.mass.edu/bbraate/packlite/water.htm[/url]

This is aimed at thru-hikers -- 15 to 30 miles a day.  She refers to 1000mg of sodium in a quart of sweat.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top