Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/4/2003 12:03:18 PM EDT
[img]http://www.smith-wesson.com/Products/Firearms/images/SW108282_lrg.jpg[/img]

[url]http://www.smith-wesson.com/Products/Firearms/sw1911.htm[/url]
[url]http://www.smith-wesson.com/DealersOnly/pdf/ModelSW1911.pdf[/url]

Looks nice, but I have three questions:

1. WTF?

2. How does it compare (quality and price) to others... like a Kimber?

3. Is it OK to buy S&W products or are they still un-American, British owned anti-RKBA sellouts?
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 12:04:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks good, if it shoots good, they will have a seller I think.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 12:37:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I've seen this gun mentioned before, don't recall where exactly. But someone stated that it did NOT accept standard Colt magazines. I haven't been able to confirm this statement anywhere. If this is true, then someone at S&W should be fired for gross stupidity.

Good looking pistol though!

Don in Ohio
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 12:52:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I saw one today at Galyan's in Columbus, OH.  It has a Wilson Combat magazine in it, standard size.  It also has an external extractor, like a Browning Hi Power. I am no 1911 expert, but I prefer Kimber.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 12:52:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Several reviews, mostly positive over at www.1911forum.com. Look under "Other 1911's" in the Forums area.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 12:52:57 PM EDT
[#5]
S&W is owned by an american company, Saf-T in AZ now, but it's still [b]A POS SELL-OUT COMPANY[/B]!

They HAVE NOT gotten out from under their agreement with HUD, it's just not being enforced right now (can you say "contempt of court"????????)

They sold us out REAL BAD.  I won't buy anything from those SOB's.

[size=4][blue][b][devil]S&W[devil] can burn in hell! [devil][/size=4][/b][/blue]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:24:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Slickbt: Thanks for straightening that out, I couldn't really believe they'd make a 1911 the wouldn't take standard magazines. Weird things do happen though!

Don in Ohio
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:34:09 PM EDT
[#7]
i am gonna get one.
S&W is under all new management, i see no reason not to buy their products.

Link Posted: 6/4/2003 5:10:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Damm biters!

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=13262[/img]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 5:25:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Dry fired one at the local gun shop. I didn't like the trigger, and feel it would require a trigger job. That would be an expense on top of an already high price tag (although, it is the only 1911 that can be purchased new here in MA). Coincidentally, the review of it in Guns & Ammo was accurate in my opinion.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:15:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Not interested in their autos

Love their wheel guns tho...

Would rather spend the 1000 on the .500
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 7:43:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I've shot two of them... They are okay.. I would pass and go for a Kimber (on the low end) and a Baer (on the high end.)

If'n you want a 1911, get a Baer TR Special and you doing perfect.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 7:55:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I am no 1911 expert, but I prefer Kimber.
View Quote

FWIW, Smith makes an assload of the parts for Kimber. MIMcCormick makes the rest, methinks...

No difference.
Smith makes a really nice autoloader.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 7:55:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
i am gonna get one.
S&W is under all new management, i see no reason not to buy their products.

View Quote

Under new management, under the same agreement, which has still not been disavowed. Why would you buy from guys who will not disavow the same agreement their predecessors signed? It's the same thing.

J.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 8:07:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am no 1911 expert, but I prefer Kimber.
View Quote

FWIW, Smith makes an assload of the parts for Kimber. MIMcCormick makes the rest, methinks...

No difference.
Smith makes a really nice autoloader.
View Quote

Actually you're incorrect AFAIK.  Kimber buys raw steel forgings from Smith, nothing else.  They then make the guns in their OWN plant that they bought from Jericho, on the same machines that the slides and frames for Wilson Combat guns are made on.  They also make their own parts although they are McCormick designed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top