Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2003 3:02:59 PM EDT
What is the best web page design software for beginners? The local vo-tech pushes FrontPage. What is best to learn on and what is most user friendly?
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 3:06:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Learn HTML/XML/Javascript/PHP/.NET/ASP/C# and just use a text editor. [:)]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 3:22:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Opinions vary, of course, but FrontPage is likely to be as good as any you will find. If you can run a word processor, you can probably make it work for the basics, and then build your skills as you need them. I used it for my site and that contains something like 10,000 pages and 800 megabytes.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 3:25:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I like Macromedia Dreamweaver, you can download a free trial from their site and they even include a tutorial.
[url=http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=dreamweaver]Dreamweaver download site[/url]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 3:26:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I use notepad, but vi is probably as good.

I did a few sites with Frontpage, and it was real easy to learn. There were a few things to clean up after, but it works well for beginners.  How complex do you want to make your site?
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 3:39:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I use the Composer in the older version of Netscape for basic type stuff.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 3:55:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I agree with slickbt, Dreamweaver is definitely the way to go.  There is almost no reason to hand code anymore(except for tweaking stuff).  It takes way too long and the new Dreamweaver MX is pretty good at using IE and Netscape compatible code.  Also, Frontpage is based on using Frontpage extensions or a Windows based server.  I don't think those Windows guys understand that Unix is just plain better.  Dreamweaver is very versatile depending on your needs.  You can use it to edit just one page or you can update a whole site.  Dreamweaver is also intertwined with Fireworks, for editing graphics.  I would recommend checking it out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top