Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/2/2003 6:33:35 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 6:40:10 PM EDT
[#1]
... O2 sensors can be purchased at Checker Auto for about $30. Along with a 9/16 wrench the swap out takes about 20 minutes max. Sorry.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 6:43:01 PM EDT
[#2]
WOW
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 6:45:38 PM EDT
[#3]
In a word, yes!
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 6:47:21 PM EDT
[#4]
dealers suck ass, it cost my dad $600 to get a power window motor replaced in his '99 durango

thats $75 in parts and the rest labor, dealers are the shadiest mechanics ever
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 6:47:30 PM EDT
[#5]
yea you got hosed.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 6:47:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 6:48:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Buying a domestic car is just "bent over" waiting to happen.

Sorry it happened to you.

SG
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 6:51:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Price on the O2 sensor way too high, two hours labor is too much. It shouldn't be much different than changing a spark plug. Par for the course at a dealership, a good shadetree should get rich doing them at $100.00.

As for the lifespan of the sensor, sometimes things go bad early. fullclip
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 6:55:37 PM EDT
[#9]
If it makes you feel any better, some punk neighborhood kids broke into my garage and stole the keys to my Infinity.

All I needed was a new key. Nobody but the dealer can make one...$156 for a new freaking key, and that's not even including the damn remote fob!!

I agree...dealers suck!
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 6:59:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If it makes you feel any better, some punk neighborhood kids broke into my garage and stole the keys to my Infinity.

All I needed was a new key. Nobody but the dealer can make one...$156 for a new freaking key, and that's not even including the damn remote fob!!

I agree...dealers suck!
View Quote
I have Jeeps, for a 2001 Grand Cherokee spare key 66.00 for a 2003 Jeep Wrangler spare key (same type) different dealer 36.00 bucks. You guys are right dealers = license to steal. EDIT TO ADD those chip keys suck big time, a freeking rip off.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:04:03 PM EDT
[#11]
On my GM service manual it states that the O2 sensor usually gets a coat of soot over it, and it says to hold the throttle down for 2 minutes to burn it off. (That's all!)
I know for a fact the dealer would love to just change the sensor and bill you.....check with Dodge...
Ohterwise it is usually a wiring problem or engine firing/fuel mix problem (too much soot).

Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:07:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Did you at least get a reach around?
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:07:44 PM EDT
[#13]
In my opinion (as a liscenced mechanic), I'd have expected the dealer to warranty the defective O2 sensor at least. Labor possibly. Call em on it.

Meplat-
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 8:04:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Um yes they change it out let it sit for the hour and a half and charge you for two hours. So yes it's a rip.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 8:11:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Thats probably "book" labor time.  I'ld a screamed bloody murder about failing that soon.  Did you get the old part?  I'ld call the Manager direct and see what he is willing to do about it.  I'ld take them to small claims court over it if necessary

Yeah you got hosed.  Check the small print on the first job and see what warranty was included you might have one on the repair.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 8:17:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 8:17:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Join the "no lube for us club"![sex]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 8:26:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Not only were you bent over, you also got a Dirty Sanchez! They could have at least tossed you salad.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 8:46:38 PM EDT
[#19]
You got screwed but that seems to be the standard operating procedure at Chrysler. How long was it from the time they installed the first O2 at the dealer? All parts and labor should be under some kind of warranty, look at your repair order or call the service dept manager or service rep. For one thing, even the hardest to reach O2 sensors shouldn't take more than 30-40 minutes, and on a Durango they are not very difficult to change. I was a Chrysler mechanic for five years and I finally had to quit due to thier SOP. It was BS then and I see they still rip thier customers off. During my time there they changed the way most of thier mechanics were paid. Instead of a decent hourly wage, they cut that down and put us on commission. Most of the guys loved it and did very well but my paychecks got smaller and smaller because I refused to "find" something wrong with a car. It's really quite ironic how quickly they deny a repair for something under warranty that's not really urgent but when thier mechanics create problems or flat out lie to make more commission they let it all go through.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 8:48:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Live and learn...

O2 sensor should run you about $30-$50. You can change it yourself pretty easily.

When you have a check engine light on, don't go to the dealer. Go to a place like autozone or other chain store. They can read computer codes for free.

The worst part probably is that your 2nd O2 sensor wasn't bad. I'd bet whoever changed it didn't reset the car's computer, so it still thought it had a bad sensor. And you could have fixed that just by disconnecting your car's battery for 10-15 minutes. If it were me, I'd raise hell. They screwed up. Either they sold you a bad 02 sensor, or some kid (and changing the 02 sensor probably wasn't done by a seasoned tech) forgot to reset your computer.

Raise hell. Get your money back. They screwed you.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 8:54:19 PM EDT
[#21]
You're lucky.  Both O2 sensors (ya two of them) went bad on my BMW 528i.  Close to $200 each plus labor.  
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 8:58:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Yeah, they basically raped me on my 90 Jeep as well.  It was having some really bad idling and power problems that a couple shops had no luck in fixing so I figure the dealer would probably be a rip off but would be able to fix it.  Well, about $800 bucks later (60k service and emissions parts/labor), had whole new emmissions system and the thing still ran like crap.  I took it to my local town shop where I just moved, $125 tune up and the thing ran like a champ.  I've taken it no where else since.  Sad thing is I would never buy a Chrysler product, even though they are my favorite American designs.  Oh well.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 9:29:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Yep you got bent over,  sounds like they poured sand on their dick before they did ya too.  

Dealers work on a thing called flat rate, the book tells them how long it takes to do a certain job and they charge you that much.

I had a bad one in my Corrado,  VW wanted 300$ for a new one,  pep boys had one for a 85 5.0 mustang for 26$.  I had to splice the old harness in but hey it could have taken me two days and I would have been money ahead ( took 30 min )

I highly suggest you learn how to do simple stuff on your car,  it can save huge amounts on money.

Charlie
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 9:40:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Next time, see if they'll at least give you the courtesy of the reach-around!
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 4:04:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Besides the normal warranty on the car, isnt there a emissions warranty that is much longer than the 3yr/36k ?
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 4:11:59 AM EDT
[#26]
I'am glad Oklahoma did away with the state inspections.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 4:20:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Besides the normal warranty on the car, isnt there a emissions warranty that is much longer than the 3yr/36k ?
View Quote

Yeah, I think federal law requires manufacturers to warrrant the emission components for 5 years/50,000 miles.

Editted to add Google to the rescue...

United States                 Air and Radiation      EPA420-F-96-020
Environmental Protection                             March 1996
Agency

Office of Mobile Sources
---------------------------------------------------------------------
                EPA Environmental Fact Sheet
---------------------------------------------------------------------

EMISSIONS WARRANTIES
                FOR 1995 AND NEWER CARS & TRUCKS
View Quote

Specified major emission control components
are covered for the first 8 years or 80,000 miles.
View Quote

According to federal law, an emission control or emission related
part, or a specified major emission control component, that fails
because of a defect in materials or workmanship, must be repaired or
replaced by the vehicle manufacturer free of charge as long as the
vehicle has not exceeded the warranty time or mileage limitations for
the failed part.
View Quote

One
manufacturer may use more parts than another, so the following list is
not complete for all vehicles.

EMISSION CONTROL PARTS

Exhaust Gas Conversion Systems

oxygen sensor                    thermal reactor
       catalytic converter              dual-walled exhaust pipe

View Quote

See the whole article here [url]http://www.epa.gov/otaq/consumer/warr95fs.txt[/url]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 4:55:55 AM EDT
[#28]
DAMN, I would be throwing one hell of a fit...

I drive DODGE, I like them, good trucks, BUT parts are a bitch when you need them example,

Starter went out on my 94 ram truck, at about 130,000 miles, well I shop around here in town and all the parts stores could get me a starter but it was $130, I stopped by Dodge and got me a starter for $125...

My O2 senser went next at 148,000 miles, again all the parts stores could get me one but it was still $75, so I stop by Dodge, got a O2 senser for $80 and they installed for FREE....

My Dealer here is Great, thats why I keep on doing business with them, I am willing to give them my Oil change and such, and they allways give me a break if I need something, which is not very often..

Sorry you got hosed, but I would complain, what they did is not right...
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 5:00:41 AM EDT
[#29]
If it is warranted by federal mandate, I would suggest a refund on BOTH repairs!
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 5:32:02 AM EDT
[#30]
you didnt even get a reach around...sorry man
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 5:47:50 AM EDT
[#31]
You been SCREWED at least three times:

1.  Live where they have those dumbass inspections.

2.  Bought a Dodge-em.

3.  Vastly over charged for a warranty part that you should have changed yourself.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 5:59:20 AM EDT
[#32]
You were bent over by the entire dealership.
What a load of crap.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top