Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/2/2003 4:02:48 PM EDT
I read one of the news articles posted on the home page here about the former NJ police officer being prosecuted for having an illegal 'assault weapon' (bullshit term) and it was an M1 carbine.  WTF is up with that????  Even the bullshit Federal law does not include that.

The moronic author of the article called it an M1 carbine assault rifle.  What an idiot!  If it was an M2, it would be an assault rifle, but an M1??????????  Fucking idiots.

I am beginning to believe that NJ is worse than Kali.  Isn't an M1 carbine still legal in Kali?
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 4:13:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah. An M1 is an assault weapon according to NJ law.

2C:39-1 w.   "Assault firearm" means:

(1)  The following firearms:

Algimec AGM1 type
     Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder such as the "Street Sweeper" or "Striker 12"
     Armalite AR-180 type
     Australian Automatic Arms SAR
     Avtomat Kalashnikov type semi-automatic firearms
     Beretta AR-70 and BM59 semi-automatic firearms
     Bushmaster Assault Rifle
     Calico M-900 Assault carbine and M-900
     CETME G3
     Chartered Industries of Singapore SR-88 type
     Colt AR-15 and CAR-15 series
     Daewoo K-1, K-2, Max 1 and Max 2, AR 100 types
     Demro TAC-1 carbine type
     Encom MP-9 and MP-45 carbine types
     FAMAS MAS223 types
     FN-FAL, FN-LAR, or FN-FNC type semi-automatic firearms
     Franchi SPAS 12 and LAW 12 shotguns
     G3SA type
     Galil type      Heckler and Koch HK91, HK93, HK94, MP5, PSG-1
     Intratec TEC 9 and 22 semi-automatic firearms
     [b]M1 carbine type [/b]
     M14S type
     MAC 10, MAC 11, MAC 11-9mm carbine type firearms
     PJK M-68 carbine type
     Plainfield Machine Company Carbine
     Ruger K-Mini-14/5F and Mini-14/5RF
     SIG AMT, SIG 550SP, SIG 551SP, SIG PE-57 types
     SKS with detachable magazine type
     Spectre Auto carbine type
     Springfield Armory BM59 and SAR-48 type
     Sterling MK-6, MK-7 and SAR types
     Steyr A.U.G. semi-automatic firearms
     USAS 12 semi-automatic type shotgun
     Uzi type semi-automatic firearms
     Valmet M62, M71S, M76, or M78 type semi-automatic firearms
     Weaver Arm Nighthawk.

Link Posted: 6/2/2003 4:47:27 PM EDT
[#2]
what a bunch of crock.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 4:50:34 PM EDT
[#3]
M-1 Carbine [b]w/ Folding Stock[/b] is the ususal reason for being on the list.

At least in CA
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 4:56:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Well if the carbine is an assault rifle in NJ, how would they classsify a M1 enforcer? Pistol or rifle.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 4:29:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Another reason NOT to live in New Jermany.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 4:51:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Here's how bad NJ is - I live in MA and we are the land of the free by comparison!!

[BD]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 4:54:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yeah. An M1 is an assault weapon according to NJ law.

2C:39-1 w.   "Assault firearm" means:

(1)  The following firearms:

Algimec AGM1 type
     Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder such as the "Street Sweeper" or "Striker 12"
     Armalite AR-180 type
     Australian Automatic Arms SAR
     Avtomat Kalashnikov type semi-automatic firearms
     Beretta AR-70 and BM59 semi-automatic firearms
     Bushmaster Assault Rifle
     Calico M-900 Assault carbine and M-900
     CETME G3
     Chartered Industries of Singapore SR-88 type
     Colt AR-15 and CAR-15 series
     Daewoo K-1, K-2, Max 1 and Max 2, AR 100 types
     Demro TAC-1 carbine type
     Encom MP-9 and MP-45 carbine types
     FAMAS MAS223 types
     FN-FAL, FN-LAR, or FN-FNC type semi-automatic firearms
     Franchi SPAS 12 and LAW 12 shotguns
     G3SA type
     Galil type      Heckler and Koch HK91, HK93, HK94, MP5, PSG-1
     Intratec TEC 9 and 22 semi-automatic firearms
     [b]M1 carbine type [/b]
     M14S type
     MAC 10, MAC 11, MAC 11-9mm carbine type firearms
     PJK M-68 carbine type
     Plainfield Machine Company Carbine
     Ruger K-Mini-14/5F and Mini-14/5RF
     SIG AMT, SIG 550SP, SIG 551SP, SIG PE-57 types
     SKS with detachable magazine type
     Spectre Auto carbine type
     Springfield Armory BM59 and SAR-48 type
     Sterling MK-6, MK-7 and SAR types
     Steyr A.U.G. semi-automatic firearms
     USAS 12 semi-automatic type shotgun
     Uzi type semi-automatic firearms
     Valmet M62, M71S, M76, or M78 type semi-automatic firearms
     Weaver Arm Nighthawk.
View Quote

Hmmmm. I guess Olympic Arms AR's are legal, then... [whacko]

It's true. After Kalifornia drops into the ocean, we'll need to see if there's any way to sever No Joyzee from the Union!
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 5:14:32 AM EDT
[#8]
The law specifically reads "Bushmaster Assault Rifle". So this means that all semi-automatic Bushmasters and especially post-ban Bushmasters are legal?

[whacko]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 5:23:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The law specifically reads "Bushmaster Assault Rifle". So this means that all semi-automatic Bushmasters and especially post-ban Bushmasters are legal?

[whacko]
View Quote

Yes, they are. I lived in NJ, and bought my post-ban Bushy there in 95.

Go figure. [whacko]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 5:29:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Wow, my grandfather, who lives in NJ was thinking of getting an M1 Carbine as his next gun, does that mean he can't get it? Or is NJ doing the pre/post ban thing?
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 5:54:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Hmmmm. I guess Olympic Arms AR's are legal, then...
View Quote

Thanks to the 'nearly identical' clauses, it basically comes down to this....if the firearm has Colt AR-15 or CAR-15 stamped on the receiver, es ist verboten. Which is why you can still get 'AR-15's' like the Bushy or Armalites...

View Quote

I can't remember the exact details, but there is a weapon that is specifically named 'Bushmaster Assault Rifle'. That's what they refer to in the law....it's one of those nice little peculiarities. Bushy semi-autos aren't covered, because they are labeled XM-15, and are not considered 'identical' to the Colt AR-15 or CAR-15.

Wow, my grandfather, who lives in NJ was thinking of getting an M1 Carbine as his next gun, does that mean he can't get it? Or is NJ doing the pre/post ban thing?
View Quote

NJ does the pre-post ban thing differently. I can't remember the statute off the top of my head, but as I recall it works as follows:

1. Anything that is classified as an assault weapon is banned, unless the owner can show proof that the weapon was legally owned prior to the law taking effect.
2. Sales of such assault weapons are generally prohibited. A special exemption can be obtained, but it requires going before a judge and convinving them that there is a compelling reason, [b]for the good of the community[/b], for you to be able to obtain such a weapon.

Off the top of my head, I'd say your grandfather is SOL, unfortunately.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 5:57:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

NOPE, NJ banned them all back in 1989, thanks to Jim Florio. Grandpa wont be able to buy one while he lives in NJ.

edited to say: Even if the ban sunsets, NJ will keep their ban.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 5:59:43 AM EDT
[#13]
I am SO glad I live in Californistan instead of New Jersistan.

I'm going to go hug my M1 Carbine now.

[peep]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:24:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Here's how bad NJ is - I live in MA and we are the land of the free by comparison!!

[BD]
View Quote
I think this statement you made is 100 percent off the wall.
The NJ laws are fucked up, but no where as fucked as Mass. laws.

The only rilfes that are banned are the ones on that list, If I have a EA J16 lower it is of course pre-ban as all Essential Arms rifles were made prior to the ban, it is legal here, the upper with a bayonet and flash hider is not legal.

I am in no way saying NJ gun laws are right ,They Suck with a capital [b]S[/b] but not as bad as Mass.

My wife just last year went down and asked for and recieved ten hand gun permits all at once and used everyone of them, now some of you don't need any hand gun permits to buy a hand gun but here in NJ we have always had to get hand gun permits to purchase as long as I can remember anyway.

Now some of you can only buy one hand gun a month ,right?
we can buy 100 if we want, they have to grant the permits and as many as you want,it's in the law.

Mass laws link,
[url]http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws.asp?FormMode=Detail&R=MA[/url]

A private individual is permitted to sell not more than four firearms (rifles, shotguns, or handguns) per year unless sold directly to a licensed gun dealer. He must be properly licensed to possess these firearms and the purchaser must be properly licensed to buy them. The seller must file a report of the sale with the Executive Director of the Criminal History Systems Board within seven days of the sale. This report must be on the proper forms provided by the Executive Director and give all required details regarding the seller, purchaser and the firearm being transferred, including the caliber, make and serial number, and the FID, license or permit number of the buyer.
View Quote

It is unlawful to sell, transfer, or possess "any assault weapon or a large capacity ammunition feeding device that was not otherwise lawfully possessed on September 13, 1994.
View Quote

Any handgun or large capacity firearm sold without a safety device approved by the colonel of state police "shall be defective and the sale of such weapon shall constitute a breach of warranty ... and an unfair or deceptive trade act or practice.
View Quote

All firearms must be stored or kept secured in a locked container or equipped with a lock or other safety device.
View Quote

[b]In your own damned home they are dictating to you.[/b]

[b]this one's great[/b]
Regarding current holders of lifetime cards, the card expires in 1999 (if birthday is between July 1 and Dec. 31) or 2000 (birthday is between Jan. 1 and June 30)
View Quote

[b]I guess when they issued those "life time cards" they were just kidding,huh?[/b]

Here's New Jersey's to be fair,they both suck but I think Massachusetts swallows, LOL

[url]http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws.asp?FormMode=Detail&R=NJ[/url]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:42:39 AM EDT
[#15]
If the "assault ban" sunsets
will the states still keep their own restrictions?
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 7:05:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If the "assault ban" sunsets
will the states still keep their own restrictions?
View Quote

Yes, they will keep them. Their ban has been in place since 1989.

Link Posted: 6/3/2003 7:10:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 7:30:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Send them to California where they are more than welcomed.
View Quote

...As long as they have a fixed stock.  No paratrooper models, no flash hider, and no M2 selective-fire.  Bayonet lug is allowed.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 7:49:16 AM EDT
[#19]
I can own a Mini-14 and any SAR series rifle, but no M1 Carbine. Go figure !!
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 7:58:24 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm glad I'm here and not there.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 8:43:36 AM EDT
[#21]
The original version of the ban they've been kicking around in Illinois also would've banned them - detachable mag and a bayonet lug.  I think it's been amended to they'd be exempt.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 8:58:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

nope you can't own none of them, the mini14 is on the list so are a couple sar type rifles
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 10:00:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

nope you can't own none of them, the mini14 is on the list so are a couple sar type rifles
View Quote

However you CAN own a post-ban M60E3!!!
I have two friends who own bought and own them.

This is why I live in TX now.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 10:17:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Boy, it sucks to live in CA or NJ. I am not too far behind, but still way a head of were you guys are at. I would pack up and move that is for sure.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top