Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/2/2003 3:24:36 PM EDT
I'm looking to get back into fishing.  I have to start from the beginning as I no longer have any of the gear.  My wife is going to buy me a rod and reel for Fathers day so I need a bit of help.  I've been out so long I dont know whats what anymore.  I would like a mid grade spinning reel.  The Quantum's look and feel real nice.  I would like to keep the real under $60 and the rod under $40.  I will be fishing from shore for trout, bass, and pan fish.  There is also the possibility that I'll go fishing for pike.  Anyone have any ideas?
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 3:49:35 PM EDT
[#1]
i use an open faced Quantum real and i like it a lot.  came with an extra spool too.

for rods i like St. Croix (premier series).  i've tried the gander mtn rods and had problems with them so i returned them and got the st croix ones.  no more problems + they're made in the usa, not china.  

a light/med rod (6-8lb test)will run about $55 or so.  i use mine for northern pike in Lk superior bay and you can handle fish up to around 32inches (biggest i've got so far this spring) ok but still light enough for walleye's and the little guys.  i like fast action rods.

i also own 3 st croix musky rods and use them a lot..they get a workout throwing 1-4oz lures around.  

with a rod and real, beetle spin jigs and  daredevils and i can catch anything that swims.

Link Posted: 6/2/2003 3:55:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I was really heavy into it about 2-3 years ago, but the military and college got in the way.  I have never been trout or pike fishing, but what I understand those are at opposite ends of the spectrum.  For the bass tournaments I fished, I had 1 flipping rig (7 1/2ft rod, baitcast reel w/ 50lb test) 2 or 3 baitcasting rigs, and 2 spinning rigs.  One spinning reel had 6lb test on it, 6ft rod.  The other had 10lb w/ a 6.6 rod.

For your use, I'd say you're gonna have to compromise.  Either a 6 or 6'6" rod, Med. or MH action (med is prob. better since you want to panfish).  Since there is a variety of species, you might want to get some different spools and just change them out, try 6lb test and 12lb, or something like that.

All of the rigs I own are Quantums.  Some of my rods are bass pro, but I like the quantum rods better even though they were 20-30 bucks cheaper.  Probably the best bet to save some $ is to look at Bass Pro or Cabela's magazine and order a combo out of there.  Most likely, you can save 30-50 bucks by doing that.  That way you can have a $150 rig for $100.  Good luck.  

PS- I have a Quantum Energy spinning reel, about 3 years old.  I think it's the E5 model, white in color.  Has the counter weighted handle.  Great reel for the money.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 3:59:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I've tried the Quantum reels and they are nice until you drop them. I let one fall to the ground from a tree it was landing on, it fell in the sand. I just rinsed it off and didn't think much of it well the shaft the moves the line guide was ate up in days and you really could not tell there was sand in there until it just stopped turning. Otherwise nice reels I guess you could compare them to the AR15 [;D]

I like any of the Shimano spinning reels. I like the reliability of the Shimanos and I hate how an hour of fishing can be ruined by one bird's nest.

[nostalgia] Fishing a long the bank of a river in NY go to cast and went a little to far back and hooked on a tiny weed well I complete the cast bringing my thumb off of the spool and I get the biggest bird's nest you've ever seen and it ruined my night, spent the rest of the time clearing it.

Also any of the jointed floating Rapalas are awesome, I used to have a chartreuse small one that would bring in the bass all day....

Can't find one like it

Well there's my .02
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 4:23:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I like Fenwick rods and Shimano open faced reels. I don't fish anymore but when I did they both served me very well and were reasonably priced.

Link Posted: 6/2/2003 4:39:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Shimano open face reel on an Ugly Stick.

Wow:
Those were good days.

Jay
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 5:22:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Shimano Spyrex is the best reel out there.  It runs about $55.  I mount mine on a nice Berkley light action that I bought while on a fishing trip in Maine.  IMHO ugly sticks are too big unless you are planing on catfish or very large bass or if you fish for bass in heavy cover
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 5:33:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a Shimano Chromica 200A for $65 shipped to you if you wanted, New in Box that didn't went through eBAy last week

NsB
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 6:08:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I've had excellent luck with a med weight Ugly stick. Caught everything from smallmouth bass to Stripers on it. Great action and great price.
Lifetime warrenty is nice to have as well.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 6:36:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I like the Shimano reels.  I've used many different reels over the years, but the Shimano reels are very good.  I bought a rod reel combo a while back that had the Shimano rod and they are good too.  
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 9:59:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Another vote for the Ugly Stick or any medium graphite rod - sensitive feel.

For the reel, avoid the spool casting rigs (don't go well with a spinning rods, anyway, you use a casting rod for those.

Get an open face spinning reeel like Jay said, and try to find one that has a quick release spool that you can change by pressing a button inthe center of the spool.   My Daiwa is like that.   And I think Jr.'s Quantuum does, too.

Then get an extra spool or two to go with it.
That way if you get a bad birds nest or just want to change from say 6 pound line to 12 lb. it's quick & easy.

Avoid the closed-face spin-casting reels.  Maybe the highest quality ones are OK, but the one I had was a real POS, and much harder to deal with low-grade backlashes.  Really bad ones make you wanna toss the whole rig in the water with that kind of reel.

Find a tackle box you think will be about right.

The buy the size that's about twice that big....

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top