Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 6/1/2003 11:52:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/1/2003 11:53:39 PM EDT by tjmz]
Hi all. I am looking for some help from all of you, help in getting a question answered about something that I think might be a very dangerous trend in book stores, since they are the front line distributers of information. Today, my brother and I went into Border's to get him a book on an American policy, he needed it for school. While he was looking, I decided to take a look at what else they had, and saw a book that was pretty clearly in support of the gun control advocates position. There was only one copy of this book in the political science section, and I could not find any other books on the matter, especially important here is the lack of books supporting the other position. Border's here in L.A. is a two story building, and I was on the second floor. I went to an employee there and asked where I could find other books on the subject of gun control and firearms. I was told to look downstairs, as they had a whole section dedicated to firearms and the debate surrounding them. So, I went downstairs to the section they told me to look, and there was NO firarms section. I went to an employee there, and they brought me over to where the section should have been, but lo and behold, there were no books, and no placard saying where the section was. Mind, the employees were just as confused as I was, because they used to have a shelf dedicated to the subject, not 2 weeks ago. We searched the entire store, not a single book to be found, let alone a section. At this point, I asked the employee if Border's had changed their policy about selling books dealing with firearms, and they said that to their knowledge, the answer was no. They checked the computer, and it said that they had dozens of books dealing with firearms, but again, there were NONE on the floor. At this point, I asked them to get the manager, I felt that this situation needed to be explained. If they were taking these books off the shelves, I wanted to let you guys know about it, and also, I was going to refuse to spend my money there. While I was waiting, I wandered over to the magazine isle, where there used to be an entire 1/2 of a shelf dedicated to various types of guns magazines..... surprise surprise, both the magazines and the placard identifying the section were also gone. Finally, the manager showed up, and I asked him about the new policy. He said that it was not true, that there were plenty of firearms books on the shelves. I had the employee I was working with back me up when I said that we had gone through the entire store to no avail, and I mentioned the disappearance of the placards and the magazines. He assured me that it was not the case, and when his employee once again backed me up, he then switched to saying that perhaps all the firearms magazines and books sold out, and that they were all on back order. I looked him straight in the eye and asked him if he really believed that in a town like Hollywood, all the books on guns had really sold out at once? He then said that no, that probably did not happen, and reitterated that they did indeed have books on firearms in the store. So, I asked him to bring me at least one. After 30 minutes, he brought me a book on making potato launchers. All through the ordeal, the manager continued to insist that the store was not purposefully removing any information on firearms and the gun rights position, but the fact was, there were no books or magazines on the subject. What can be done about this? I called one other Border's around here and asked them to produce a book on the gun rights position that the other people's computer said that they had, and they said that they had none in store, even though the computer said they did. So my question is, is this a trend? Are other Border's and other book stores now going to limit our access even to this slim amount of information? Are Border's in your areas doing this as well? I would really like to know, because if so, this ratchets up the limitations to our right to free information another notch. Please, I really want to know, and I think that if this IS a trend, it is a potentially dangerous one. If the stores are allowed to go through with this, what's next?
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 12:50:37 AM EDT
I buy Shotgun News and Gun List at the closest Borders to my house. Always have a ton of gun rags. That said, Walden Books is virulently anti gun and don't even carry gun magazines. Every once in a while when I'm in the mall I'll grab about $100 worth of books and bring them up to the counter. I wait for them to ring about half of them up and then "remember" that I wanted a Guns & Ammo mag and ask where I can find them. When they tell me that they don't carry I say I can't support a store that won't support gun owners. I also said Oh, too bad, and walked out. Most of the kids behind the counter don't really care but I feel better. [:)]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 12:54:16 AM EDT
Borders here also have plenty of gun magazines and books, as does Barnes and Noble.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 1:05:44 AM EDT
Borders here in houston sells plenty of gun books. they have there own little section on it.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 1:07:09 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 1:51:41 AM EDT
Sometimes advanced neo-cons will relocate books and magazines that they don't like.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 4:50:36 AM EDT
I think they just hire "anit-gun type" (whatever that is) people to managment positions. There probably isn't any direct policy, but more of a passive anit-gun policy. The Border's here sells no gun rags, and very few gun books. The B&N here has tons of every kind of gun literature. Heck, the grocery store (Food Lion) carries a whole section of gun rags, including Shotgun News, Soldier of Fortune, etc. It's not exactly an "uber-liberal" area. But Waldens and Border's here don't. Those in other town that do, probably hired some local guy to manage the store through some fluke. They probably keep him around because he makes a profit, because he does his job and sells books, not push some political agenda. Ross
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 5:24:21 AM EDT
maybe, just maybe, it's a bunch of local anti's pulling them off the shelves and thowing them in the trash or hiding them (??)
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 5:33:44 AM EDT
last year out Borders hosted several pro-gun meet the author lectures. it's all in what the community will pay for. supply and demand!
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 5:35:53 AM EDT
No gun books or magazines at my local Borders. I go to BAM, Books A Million. They probably have every gun rag known to man, including some obscure ones.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 6:33:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/2/2003 6:35:06 AM EDT by warlord]
No gun magazines at the Borders in Pasadena, CAlif, Lake & Colorado Blvds either. Don't know about gun books though never looked for them. Wal-Mart gots'em.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:36:14 AM EDT
I was at BORDERS BOOKS last Saturday in northern Ca. and they had several gun related magazines like: Combat handgunner, Soldier of Fortune, Shotgun news, Gun list, etc. to name a few.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:53:41 AM EDT
plenty of mags here, never looked for books
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 8:48:33 AM EDT
the borders here in oklahoma had the vice pres of the NRA here to speak recently (or it still might be coming up) and a big display with the info and the book of his to buy. and not to mention the magazines, there was a couple of racks of actual books, i.e. the history of HK, and the gun collectors value guide. so AFAIK, they are not anti gun, but... it IS california
Top Top