Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/1/2003 9:51:01 PM EDT
I dont know about you, but this is a very important movie to my life.  Even more than Star Wars.  It's really hard to describe how this movie pretty much molded my basic idea about how a man should be.  My father, and Indiana Jones, biggest influences on my life.

So that's why this story is such a trip. Some kids 2 years older than me felt the same way and re-shot the entire movie during their adolesence scene-to-scene over 6 years.  It was their own private thing until it came to light recently.  Someone sent a copy to Spielberg, who loved it, and they had a public screening that Harrison Ford attended.

I just found this whole thing profoundly cool, glad to see someone out there lved this flick even more than I do. The story: [url]http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=15348[/url]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 11:15:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Jut watched it again a couple of nights ago.  Great movie.  Especially when the fools opened it up.  Also the scene where he shoots the guy who brought a sword to the gunfight (inspiration for Ash?).
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 11:17:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Forgot to mention -- waaaaaay better than Temple of Doom.

Remeber that TV show on young Indiana Jones, or whatever?  WHat was the name of it?  It is available on VHS or DVD?
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 11:27:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 11:28:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Jut watched it again a couple of nights ago.  Great movie.  Especially when the fools opened it up.  Also the scene where he shoots the guy who brought a sword to the gunfight (inspiration for Ash?).
View Quote

Hey, did you know that wasn't in the script?  It turns out that Harrison Ford was too sick with dysintery that day to shoot the fight they actually choreographed.   At a meeting that morning, Ford says to Spielberg something like, "It's too bad I just can't shoot the guy."  The light bulbs come on.  "Why not?"   Instant classic scene!
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 12:06:29 AM EDT
[#5]
I find the entire series VERY cool.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 12:09:26 AM EDT
[#6]
I have to agree.  Raiders of the Lost Ark is one of the best action/adventure movies ever made.  It was made before all the PC stuff infected our cinema.  Good acting. Good story.  It's one of those rare movies that was filmed so well that it could have been made this year.

[img]photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=476[/img]
[url=www.nra.org][b][red]NRA[/red][/url] [url=www.nra.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.gunowners.org][b][red]GOA[/red] [/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.saf.org][red]SAF[/red][/url] [url=www.saf.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/url]
[url=sas-aim.org][red]SAS[/red][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/b][/url]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 1:16:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Raiders rule!

Temple of Doom was kinda odd.

Last Crusade was cool.  I especially liked the part when they were at the entrance to the ancient city of Petra.

Way cool!

[img]http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/getaways/021199/art/dest11pix1.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 6/2/2003 2:21:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Right, thats me off to Kazaa to see if I can find a copy of those kids film.

http://www.indygear.com/index.shtml

Anybody fancy playing dress up :)
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 3:45:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Yes Raiders rocks. By far my favorite movie ever. When my Dad [i]finally[/i] bought a VCR it was the only tape we had for a long time, so I watched over and over. I bet I've seen it 500 times.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 3:50:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Its coming out on DVd 11/4/03.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 4:00:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 6:42:01 AM EDT
[#12]
I like all of the movies in the INdianna Jones series. The lead actor in the Young Indianna Jones TV series died from a drug overdose in front of a nightclub in Hollyweird, Calif. about 5 or 6 years ago.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:20:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I like all of the movies in the INdianna Jones series. The lead actor in the Young Indianna Jones TV series died from a drug overdose in front of a nightclub in Hollyweird, Calif. about 5 or 6 years ago.
View Quote

UNTRUE!!!

The Actor who died is River Phoenix, the actor who portrayed the young Indy in "The Last Crusade."  Sean Patrick Flannery was the star of "The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles" and he is alive and well if not tremendously successful.

River Phoenix was the brother of Joaquin Phoenix of "Gladiator" and "Signs."
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:45:16 AM EDT
[#14]
I liked it because I was really heavy into older S&W large frame guns at the time.  I also appreciated that it didn't have a one word title.  It seemed like every previous blockbuster movie after "Jaws" had just a one word title, and I just found it annoying.  

Raiders of the Lost Ark brought back some of the real movie making to Hollywood.

Ross
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 8:51:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 8:55:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Yes Raiders rocks. By far my favorite movie ever. When my Dad [i]finally[/i] bought a VCR it was the only tape we had for a long time, so I watched over and over. I bet I've seen it 500 times.
View Quote

My dad, a  confirmed technophobe, bought one of the first RCA VHS recorders just so he could watch this movie whenever  he wanted. I don't think that tape was out of the VCR more than an hour over 10 years.

CKMorley
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 8:58:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

UNTRUE!!!

The Actor who died is River Phoenix, the actor who portrayed the young Indy in "The Last Crusade."  Sean Patrick Flannery was the star of "The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles" and he is alive and well if not tremendously successful.

River Phoenix was the brother of Joaquin Phoenix of "Gladiator" and "Signs."
View Quote

You're right. My mind gets hazy after a few years. Got the 2 actors mixed up, sorry for the confusion.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 10:34:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Raiders is certainly one of my all-time favorites.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 12:56:40 PM EDT
[#19]
River Phoenix played the young Indy in the opening sequence of Last Crusade.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 1:53:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Raiders and Crusade both are great, Temple not so much.  

For those of you who are hidden-message buffs:

Check out the neon sign outside the club that Indy comes out of in Temple of Doom.  The club name is "Obi Wan".
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 2:05:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Which one had Kate Capshaw in it? She has got to be the worst actor I've ever seen. Shitty movie, also. They should have stopped after the first one.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 3:51:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just so you know, (as of now) the movies won't be released separately, only in a box set.
http://www.dvdtalk.com/archives/001380.html
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 4:16:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Temple.....cause Kate Capshaw was a real looker.

Oh my God... Oh my God! .. Oh my God!!
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:31:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

My dad, a  confirmed technophobe, bought one of the first RCA VHS recorders just so he could watch this movie whenever  he wanted. I don't think that tape was out of the VCR more than an hour over 10 years.

CKMorley
View Quote
 My Dad, a confirmed cheapskate, had gotten a "deal" on our VCR and our copy of Raiders was a bootleg off HBO. I don't think it had been released on tape yet.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:45:48 PM EDT
[#25]
A buddy of mine has a theory on that movie. If you take Indy out of it, nothing changes. The Nazis find the Ark and die. Kinda sucked when he pointed that out to me.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:58:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
A buddy of mine has a theory on that movie. If you take Indy out of it, nothing changes. The Nazis find the Ark and die. Kinda sucked when he pointed that out to me.
View Quote

NOT TRUE!! Indy was the one that found the Ark! The Germans "ARE DIGGING IN THE WRONG PLACE".

Tell your buddy he is full of crap.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 8:16:09 PM EDT
[#27]
I've been meaning to see it again since he told me. It didn't seem to me there could be that big of a flaw in the movie.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 8:27:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Watch it again. Like I said, 500 times. I know every line in the movie.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 8:29:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Raiders and the whole Indy series is fairly top notch.

But a couple questions:

1.   Does anyone know what the symbolism is of each movie starting off focused on a mountain / mountain formation of a similar shape?

2.  Any word on the "new" Indiana Jones movie?  My theory:   It will be a "bust" as its outside of the "zone" the director/producers created for the first three.  (Sort of like the Starwars prequel nightmares, or the upcoming T3 failure).

Link Posted: 6/2/2003 8:50:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

2.  Any word on the "new" Indiana Jones movie?  My theory:   It will be a "bust" as its outside of the "zone" the director/producers created for the first three.  (Sort of like the Starwars prequel nightmares, or the upcoming T3 failure).

View Quote

Don't know... StarWars I was a bit odd, and out-of-zone... StarWars II (er PlanetWars, as very little of it occurred in space), was better about that...

As for T3, it is certainly odd timing... 2 movies about artificially intelligent machines taking over the world in 1 year... Piggyback???
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 9:29:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
DIGGING IN THE WRONG PLACE.
View Quote

i am the monarch of the sea.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 11:35:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Looks like I'll get my third set
I have all three on pan/scan laser disc and later when they came out, wide screen.  Same deal with the first Star Wars series.  I hate technology advancements sometimes.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 8:13:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
View Quote

NOT TRUE!! Indy was the one that found the Ark! The Germans "ARE DIGGING IN THE WRONG PLACE".  Tell your buddy he is full of crap.
View Quote

Au contraire!  The buddy is not full of crap. You are!  Without Indiana Jones to save her, Marrion Ravenwood would have lost the real headpiece to the staff of ra to the Nazi's that night at her bar, and thus, the Nazis wouldn't have been digging in the wrong place.  Remember, they only got the location wrong because they used the imprint burned into the Nazi guy's hand to make a duplicate headpiece, which did not include an inscription from the other side of the headpiece about the height of the staff, which said "and take back one Kaddam to honor the Hebrew god whose ark this is."

So the buddy is correct.  Take out Indy, and nothing changes.  The Nazi's find the Ark and die.   (The only difference, as it turns out, is that by way of Indy's involvement the Ark ends up in Hangar 18).

Link Posted: 6/3/2003 11:50:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
View Quote

NOT TRUE!! Indy was the one that found the Ark! The Germans "ARE DIGGING IN THE WRONG PLACE".  Tell your buddy he is full of crap.
View Quote

Au contraire!  The buddy is not full of crap. You are!  Without Indiana Jones to save her, Marrion Ravenwood would have lost the real headpiece to the staff of ra to the Nazi's that night at her bar, and thus, the Nazis wouldn't have been digging in the wrong place.  Remember, they only got the location wrong because they used the imprint burned into the Nazi guy's hand to make a duplicate headpiece, which did not include an inscription from the other side of the headpiece about the height of the staff, which said "and take back one Kaddam to honor the Hebrew god whose ark this is."

So the buddy is correct.  Take out Indy, and nothing changes.  The Nazi's find the Ark and die.   (The only difference, as it turns out, is that by way of Indy's involvement the Ark ends up in Hangar 18).

View Quote

Yes, but the Nazis filmed the opening of the Ark.  When no one on the island reports back, they would have investigated, found the Ark and the film and know better than to open it again.  They would then still be in possession of the Ark.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 8:01:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

Ah. Touche Gonzo.[:)] Good point.

HOWEVER, wasn't it Indy who led the Nazis to Marrion Ravenwood? Remember the spy on the plane? So couldn't you theorize that without Indy the nazis would have never found the headpiece to the staff of ra and therefore never found the Ark?

Did I miss anything? Now I'm feeling gunshy.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 11:09:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

Ah. Touche Gonzo.[:)] Good point.

HOWEVER, wasn't it Indy who led the Nazis to Marrion Ravenwood? Remember the spy on the plane? So couldn't you theorize that without Indy the nazis would have never found the headpiece to the staff of ra and therefore never found the Ark?

View Quote

OOOH! Check and MATE!  Because of the intercepted cable, the US knew the Nazis were looking for Abner Ravenwood, so they contacted his star student, Indy Jones for info.  Because of he was Ravenwood's protoge, he knew of Ravenwood's whereabouts and that of Marion, his illicit relationship with whom led to the "falling out" he had with his mentor.  The Nazis knew Indy was his star student too, so were keeping an eye on him, and followed him to Nepal.

It is a great great script.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 12:04:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Um... yeah...
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 12:54:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Yes! I stood about 3 feet behind Steven Spielberg for two minutes once.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 5:27:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted by otto-nyc
  "i am the monarch of the sea."
View Quote

Gilbert & Sullivan's "HMS Pinafore".
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 9:08:48 AM EDT
[#40]

View Quote

Game, set, and match... I stand humbled by your response.  (Probably because I watched this movie 1000 times on HBO growing up, and always missed the first 5 minutes).

But you're right... Indy was the link that led the Nazi's to Marrion Ravenwood.   (They didn't enen know Abner was dead). Perhaps they would have found her perhaps not.

As for the comment above about the opening of the Ark being filmed, remember that the film would have cut out before the carnage because the Ark burned out the power generator.  Also, I'm not sure, but I think I remember all the bodies and all the film equipment, lights, etc., being sucked up into the vortex in the sky so that when it shows the lid of the Ark falling down and sealing everything, there's nothing but Indy and Marrion left.

(BTW, bonus points if anyone can identify the biblical reference that led Indy to tell Marrion to close her eyes and not look while they opened the Ark).

Link Posted: 6/4/2003 9:35:05 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
(BTW, bonus points if anyone can identify the biblical reference that led Indy to tell Marrion to close her eyes and not look while they opened the Ark).
View Quote

¶ And he smote the men of Beth–she'mesh, because they had looked into the ark of the LORD, even he smote of the people fifty thousand and threescore and ten men: and the people lamented, because the LORD had smitten many of the people with a great slaughter.

1 Samuel 6

I've never been a person of religious nature, but I must admit that this movie made me read much of the Old Testament.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 9:59:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

It is a great great script.
View Quote

Yup, Lawrence Kasdan at his greatest!  That along with "Empire Strikes Back" are his two greatest stories.  Throw in Silverado, too.  Then he got too "Big Chill" for my taste.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:15:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Game, set, and match... I stand humbled by your response.  (Probably because I watched this movie 1000 times on HBO growing up, and always missed the first 5 minutes).

But you're right... Indy was the link that led the Nazi's to Marrion Ravenwood.   (They didn't enen know Abner was dead). Perhaps they would have found her perhaps not.

As for the comment above about the opening of the Ark being filmed, remember that the film would have cut out before the carnage because the Ark burned out the power generator.  Also, I'm not sure, but I think I remember all the bodies and all the film equipment, lights, etc., being sucked up into the vortex in the sky so that when it shows the lid of the Ark falling down and sealing everything, there's nothing but Indy and Marrion left.

View Quote

Wow. Am I the Raiders geek or what?[:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top