Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/1/2003 7:47:13 PM EDT
[b]44 Minutes: A Social Commentary On The All Too Easy Accessibility Of Weapons Of Mass Destruction[/b] On February 28, 1997, 2 heavily armed gunmen Larry Phillips Jr. and Emil Matasareanu walked into a North Hollywood Bank with the intent of robbery, but in the process forever changed the public perception of the easy accessibility of military assault weapons of war. The FOX production, 44 Minutes, faithfully re-creates the carnage that Phillips and Matasareanu left in their wake in their attempt at escape a botched bank robbery while the pitifully undergunned LAPD heroically tried to stop them. Heavily padded with bullet proof vests and armed to the teeth with several assault weapons including a pair of AK47s with drum clips loaded with armor piercing ammuntion, the 2 robbers were litteraly walking tanks. Every duty firearm at the disposal of the brave LAPD officers were completely ineffective. Even their own issue body armor and police cruisers were no match for the AK47 ammunition that is designed to penetrate steel plating and kill the person behind it. At two points in the docudrama the issue of lax gun control laws are touched upon. In a very ironic scene where, as a last resort, officers go to obtain additional firearms at a local gun store, they are shockingly made aware of the types of military firepower readily available to civilians. The store owner, a typical representation of an NRA member, gleefully describes the assault weapons as he hands them to the officers. He even tries to give the officers a sniper weapon, but is angrily told by one of the policemen "I can't believe they let people just buy these!". Well, the viewer should be shocked that these weapons of mass destruction are available over the counter no questions asked to anyone with the cash. The second point occurs when the boorish store owner demands payment for the guns and is told "Bill it to Mayor Riordan." This is another irony touched upon as during the Mayoral election, Richard Riordan was endorsed by the NRA, both of which maintain a revisionist opinion that the 2nd Amendment allows civilians to own anything and everything short of nuclear weapons. In the end, the price paid for gun owners fallacious opinion of a right to keep and bear arms, 8 officers and 12 civilians were critically wounded and the two poster idols for the NRA lay dead on the street. Even though this incident took place over 6 years ago, now is the time to renew our efforts to let our legislatures know that the assault weapon ban should not be allowed to sunset, but put a new more expansive gun ban on the president's desk so that he can fulfill his campaign promise of signing it into law. Let us insure that the valliant actions of the LAPD were not in vain.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:58:03 PM EDT
Cite your source pls.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 8:09:05 PM EDT
Anyone else wanna join the "beat Imbroglio with a tire iron club?"
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 8:25:18 PM EDT
The social commentary is taking place right here: [url]http://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/originals/44_Minutes/message_board.html[/url] Please join in [:D]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 8:26:27 PM EDT
Imbro, I hope that you spend at least the same amount of time writing pro-gun pieces to your representatives and the news.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 8:29:54 PM EDT
I didn't think the store owner was boorish; he was trying to help. And I doubt that any of the real cops had time for social commentary. Those ARs all looked like LE only models.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 8:34:36 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 8:41:31 PM EDT
AFter the, "I can't believe they let people buy these things" BS I threw in the "Heat" DVD.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 9:27:44 PM EDT
That line was so badly worked in there.. This was one of the worst directed films i've seen on FX.. that whole scene with the dispatcher crying? okay.. next channel thank you.. I like the way the cops knew they had CHINEESE AK's and body armor before any shots where fired..
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 9:34:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/1/2003 9:36:13 PM EDT by Imbroglio]
I am just trying to help people and maybe get a job in the process.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 9:47:19 PM EDT
OH BS!!! the NRA did NOT endorse reardon, and reardon is NOT Pro-gun in any way, shape or form. hes a democrap in sheeps clothes, he had to run as a demo cuz there was already a demo candidate for mayor.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 9:56:01 PM EDT
Originally Posted By ckapsl: The social commentary is taking place right here: [url]http://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/originals/44_Minutes/message_board.html[/url] Please join in [:D]
View Quote
That messageboard = owned [slap]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 10:09:47 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Katana16j: Anyone else wanna join the "beat Imbroglio with a tire iron club?"
View Quote
Im in... Unless hes trying to make some sort of humor?
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 4:10:55 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Electricview: That line was so badly worked in there.. This was one of the worst directed films i've seen on FX.. that whole scene with the dispatcher crying? okay.. next channel thank you.. I like the way the cops knew they had CHINEESE AK's and body armor before any shots where fired..
View Quote
That dispatcher actually did start crying in real life.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 4:20:26 AM EDT
[b]It's a good thing the Gun Shop waived the 15 day waiting period. Some people can't wait for their protection. [/b]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 5:00:23 AM EDT
I wasn't to pleased by some of the refernces in that movie last night. I hated how there was a distinction between officers and civilians (once again, they are the same difference). If your not a civilian, your in the military (and subject to military law...ie. tribunals and firing squads). I think that it would have been fitting if the shop owner would have required the officer to fill out paper work on each firearm. So that the LEO's got to see just what it would feel like to jump through that gun law hoops when you need a firearm. Another disturbing, yet subtle, immage was how the police let the second shooter bleed to death. It the movie it was clear that none of his wounds were critical hits, yet they showed the police keepinghim on the ground, with the blood squirting out of a leg wound. I know that emotions were running high, but the officer have a duity to remain professional. Unfortunately letting a suspect bleed to death isn't very professional.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 5:05:12 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Katana16j: Anyone else wanna join the "beat Imbroglio with a tire iron club?"
View Quote
If I wasn't sure he is being sarcastic, I'd be in the club. I think this is Imbroglio's efforts to keep us advised on the tactics of our adversaries.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 5:17:48 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 5:23:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/2/2003 5:26:01 AM EDT by 9divdoc]
A made for tv scripted story to put pressure on politicians via soccer mom's and their male counterparts to not only extend the AW ban but to add substantially to it... The new version makes the mini 14 and 10/22 assault rifles... [url]http://www.nraila.org/LegislativeUpdate.asp?FormMode=Detail&ID=644[/url]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:59:44 AM EDT
I taped the movie, I think it was pretty accurate? all the scenes were very close to the original scenes from the news, they even showed the part when one of them used an HK91 and fired at the helicopter, this is the first tv movie with so much AK47 footage ever made, the AK's looked like Romanian clones? with the side folding heavy wire stocks and the forward pointing pistol grip lower handguard.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 8:07:57 AM EDT
Originally Posted By fight4yourrights: [b]It's a good thing the Gun Shop waived the 15 day waiting period. Some people can't wait for their protection. [/b]
View Quote
I've always wondered what would of happened if the Gun Shop owner would have told the cops to "GET BENT!!" or "Come back in 15 days and you can have your weapons"
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 8:38:30 AM EDT
It seems to me that it is always glazed over that these guys were not completly covered with body armor and were atleast vulnerble to head shots and even as it showed they were not coverd on there feet, so they could have been taken out early. Why did they seem to constantly aim for the centermass evem when they knew that they were wearing body armor. Also Swats response time was lame. The cops response about the bolt action sniper rifle tells me how people feel about my old bolt action hunting rifle.
Top Top