Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/1/2003 6:11:30 PM EDT
44 Mins. got me to thinking...In this VERY strange/uncommon situation...Would the LEO have welcomed some citizen help. I do understand that there would/can be problems with armed citizens, but in this case ( ie.outgunned,very specific threat)it seems some help would be better than none.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 6:25:47 PM EDT
Yeah I was thinking about this also, like when they were in the residential section it would have been cool if an armed AR15.com member came out and shot the guy. [jump] But they probably wouldn't allow for citizen help, it might confuse them and they would open fire on the armed civilian thinking he was another gunmen.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 6:32:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/1/2003 6:34:37 PM EDT by Citabria7GCBC]
yeah i was thinking about that aswell. for example if this 44 minute thing or another L.A. riot type thing happend, would the PDs welcome us helping them?? I also think they would confuse us with the enemy.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 6:42:48 PM EDT
Well, maybe if it was in a smaller town. They could let us wear those small blue jackets with POLICE on the back.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 6:48:58 PM EDT
this incident ever since it happened, I have never forgot it,,,of if you can get a camera watching the event,,,you can get a iron sighted or scoped rifle on target, catch what I mean,,when that event was going on and watching it unfold on tv,,I dont know about the rest of you,,I was cussing and damning,,of why aint no body hitting them in the head,,,and why aint nobody got a rifle,,plenty of places to slip up and line up a shot ect,,,and to add to the fact,,the bunch I shoot with we regularly shoot 100yds in a gravel pit with pistols,and 200yds with misc rifles,(believe it or not a old 30/30 is still my favorite,,), and popcans flying is regular event,,if you can make cans jump,,its close enough for a head shot,,oh well,,,and yes I know,,cans arnt shooting at you either,, and yes me too, wondered what the response from the PD if you had a varmit rifle or AR and dusted them bad guys from a balcony or roof top a hunnerd or more yards away,,guess we will will wait and see if a leo chimes in on this thread,,,
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 6:54:49 PM EDT
Yeah, why not a headshot with that shotgun for example?
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 6:55:37 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:01:27 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:05:07 PM EDT
My thoughts were that the BG in the fire-fight were very similar ie dress, mask, weapons, you get the point. Me coming out of my house in a pair of shorts wearing my AR15.COM shirt would "look" different.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:09:46 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:10:52 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Tonys68l36: 44 Mins. got me to thinking...In this VERY strange/uncommon situation...Would the LEO have welcomed some citizen help. I do understand that there would/can be problems with armed citizens, but in this case ( ie.outgunned,very specific threat)it seems some help would be better than none.
View Quote
How 'bout, supporting your local cops, on a regular day w/o bullets flying, when they ask for reasonable tools and training to do the job that you want them to do. See sig line.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:13:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/1/2003 7:13:33 PM EDT by 455SD]
He may have worked in Mayberry, but Sheriff Taylor was a badass in every sense of the word.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:17:49 PM EDT
Originally Posted By OLY-M4gery:
Originally Posted By Tonys68l36: 44 Mins. got me to thinking...In this VERY strange/uncommon situation...Would the LEO have welcomed some citizen help. I do understand that there would/can be problems with armed citizens, but in this case ( ie.outgunned,very specific threat)it seems some help would be better than none.
View Quote
How 'bout, supporting your local cops, on a regular day w/o bullets flying, when they ask for reasonable tools and training to do the job that you want them to do. See sig line.
View Quote
Well I pay taxes and have all those trendy little police org stickers on my vehicles!!! I feel I support the LEO in my town. I cannot however account for the actions of the higher-ups in the police force that hamstrings its officers by not giving them the proper gear to do the job. I think this was a horrible position for any LEO to be in. BTW whats up with the wheel-gun guy in the movie??? It should be policy to get/use more modern equipment.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:24:03 PM EDT
Yes, a .357 wheelgun is totally useless in any defense situation.[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:36:06 PM EDT
Originally Posted By 455SD: Yes, a .357 wheelgun is totally useless in any defense situation.[rolleyes]
View Quote
No just outdated. I still have one 4" S&W 357. I would just would rather use something that let see 1. Holds more rounds 2. Easier/faster to reload 3. More of 1 and 2 I wa not trying to dog out the 6-shooter,just is a gun of the past. Ever wonder why the military is not handing out wheelers???
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:36:16 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Tonys68l36: Well I pay taxes and have all those trendy little police org stickers on my vehicles!!! I feel I support the LEO in my town.
View Quote
Thank you.
I cannot however account for the actions of the higher-ups in the police force that hamstrings its officers by not giving them the proper gear to do the job. I think this was a horrible position for any LEO to be in. BTW whats up with the wheel-gun guy in the movie??? It should be policy to get/use more modern equipment.
View Quote
Ummm, not sure that newer is always better. Many police agencies replaced their .357 Magnum revolvers with wonder-nines, to get more "firepower". Many of those same agencies were loading their .357's with .38 spl. Sorry but I don't see a "firepower" increase with a wonder-nine over a .357 with full power ammo. Revolvers are generally more accurate, have longer barrels, and nicer triggers. They are harder to reload.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:42:16 PM EDT
It's a good thing the Gun Shop waived the 15 day waiting period. Some people can't wait for their protection.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:43:23 PM EDT
Originally Posted By OLY-M4gery:
Originally Posted By Tonys68l36: Well I pay taxes and have all those trendy little police org stickers on my vehicles!!! I feel I support the LEO in my town.
View Quote
Thank you.
I cannot however account for the actions of the higher-ups in the police force that hamstrings its officers by not giving them the proper gear to do the job. I think this was a horrible position for any LEO to be in. BTW whats up with the wheel-gun guy in the movie??? It should be policy to get/use more modern equipment.
View Quote
Ummm, not sure that newer is always better. Many police agencies replaced their .357 Magnum revolvers with wonder-nines, to get more "firepower". Many of those same agencies were loading their .357's with .38 spl. Sorry but I don't see a "firepower" increase with a wonder-nine over a .357 with full power ammo. Revolvers are generally more accurate, have longer barrels, and nicer triggers. They are harder to reload.
View Quote
I was going to post that and you beat me to it. I had a Colt Trooper MkIII 4" that was super accurate. I wish I still had it! It was more accurate than my Kimber and certainly more stopping power/range. I saw American Shooter today, Bob Lunden was busting balloons at 200 yards with a .454 Casull AND, get this, with a S&W .38SPL snubby. I would imagine a 4 or 6" .357 with full house loads might have been effective if employed by trained/talented hands.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:44:47 PM EDT
It's up to the departments what type of weapon/ammo is acceptable. IN my humble opinion there should be no-limit on what the officer is allowed to carry in his or her car. AR15, Shotgun, 700PSS, whatever they need to do the job they need to do. The problem with correctly equiping the officers has more to do with politics and poo-poo lawsuits than whats best for the all round safty of the officer/community.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 8:01:35 PM EDT
10mm Glock 20...You get huge capacity, heavy and fast loads, quick reloads. OK I'll shut up about the dang Glock, but you gotta admit it would solve your wheelgun/semi dilemma.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 9:17:26 PM EDT
Just me speaking but in that situation I would welcome any friendly help. But I can guarantee in a situation like that with that many people and that much gun fire that there would mass confusion and it would be dangerous for someone not in uniform to get involved.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 9:30:05 PM EDT
My friend employs the daughter of the Sherrif in these parts. Fastest draw around, wins the competitions. Wears three guns every day, and tell civilians--"it takes us 40 minutes to get to your house. You better shoot them first".
Top Top