Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/1/2003 6:10:32 PM EDT
I am watching it on FX right now and for the most part, is a real good movie.  Lot of big name actors.  But, of course the liberal bias can be seen.  A couple of cops go into a gun store saying "we have a situation.  We need assault weapons." the gun store owner hands him an AR saying it is not an AK but it will do the job.  And then a carbine saying this is a CAR15, it is what the military uses.  Then puts a Rem 700 with a nice scope on the counter saying it is the best sniper rifle ever made.  Cop says I can't believe you can just buy this stuff.  Dealer "If you have some money and an ID, you can buy anything"  Then they empty the racks of about 15 assorted ARs and talk about getting them a bunch of ammo.  

So, what do we have, a gun store owner that doesn't know guns, a cop that is a friggen liberal and a screenwriter that tries to badmouth guns instead of pointing out that people that are firm believers in the second amendment come to the assistance of the police.  An honest, law abiding gun store owner (albeit one that due to the writers ignorance is actually incompetent)faces loss of inventory and paperwork hell to aid the cops and they turn it into liberal propaganda.  
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 6:15:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Just finished watching it, Great movie! But yes, I also disliked the store part. I highly doubt the dealer actually said "some money and an ID, you can buy anything."  maybe something like that though.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 6:15:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah I saw it it was a pretty good flick action wise. Atleast they said AK-47 machine guns and not assualt rifles. I also did'nt know teh gunmen had FALs and M-16s with beta c mags
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 6:18:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Not an anti-gun movie. A pro Cop movie.

I didn't see any overt anti gun message. The exchange between the cop and the gun store employee may be as it happened. Cops, like all people come with a variety of opinions on every issue. We all know many gun store workers don't know dick about guns. How many times have we seen threads about that very subject.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 6:21:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh...you didn't see any anti-gun slant? Might wanna rewind the tape ;)

Did you miss the part about the cops getting "M16 Machineguns" after this incident? My understanding is they were Pentagon-donated and converted to Semi-Auto only. I didn't like all the references to us being "civilians" either...like we are different than them? LOL!
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 6:25:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Tin foil hat fitting a little tight this evening Greenmountain?
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 6:27:35 PM EDT
[#6]
And how about that cop pushing a shopping cart full of rifles through a mess of spent brass then it was all over?
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 6:30:16 PM EDT
[#7]
No tinfoil hat needed when looking at the facts.

LAPD gets M-16s

Result of being outgunned in February shootout
September 22, 1997
Web posted at: 2:41 p.m. EDT (1841 GMT)

LOS ANGELES (CNN) -- The police arsenal here now includes M-16 rifles powerful enough to pierce body armor like that worn by two heavily armed bank robbers last February. The pair fired hundreds of rounds, outgunning more than 200 officers in a North Hollywood shootout carried on live television.

The two bandits, Emil Matasareanu and Larry Eugene Phillips Jr., fired automatic weapons including AK-47 and M-16-type rifles in their attempt to escape after the stickup was foiled. At first, police could only fire back with standard issue 9 mm and .38-caliber revolvers.

Scenes from the February 28 shootout:
1.6M/43 sec. QuickTime movie  

A dozen people -- officers and bystanders -- were injured in the February 28 shootout. Both robbers died, one by suicide. But the tide of the urban gun battle didn't turn until police borrowed more powerful weapons from a nearby gun shop.

600 surplus M-16s
That won't happen again. In direct response to the North Hollywood shootout, Los Angeles police have acquired 600 M-16s -- U.S. Army surplus weapons donated by the Pentagon.

"This was a clear indication that we needed that kind of firepower and we need it early on," says LAPD Commander Rick Dinse.

The weapons, which will be converted from fully automatic to semi-automatic for safety reasons, will be assigned to sergeants and carried in the trunks of their cars.

Police on the street are glad to have the extra firepower and say it would have helped back in February.

"At least we would have had something decent to shoot back at those guys, rather than just our 9-millimeters and little 38s that some guys still carry," one officer told CNN.

Nearly every police agency and city council in the nation took notice on that deadly day.

Miami moved to put more powerful weapons in the hands of its police. And in Los Angeles, itself, the Police Commission voted to allow officers to carry .45-caliber semi-automatic pistols.

Many police agencies already carry M-16s or equivalent kinds of weapons but they are usually reserved for SWAT teams. In Los Angeles, however, the extra firepower is going directly to the streets.

Correspondent Greg LaMotte contributed to this report.

Link Posted: 6/1/2003 6:36:16 PM EDT
[#8]
yeah this show is not on my good list
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top