Posted: 6/1/2003 5:56:20 PM EDT
why do you do it?

Link Posted: 6/1/2003 6:13:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Cause I want to.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:54:27 PM EDT
[#2]
No cow for me.

The only birds I eat are turk and chick.

Trying to cut piggy but porkchops are gooooooooooood
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:57:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh sorry. I thought you said vagitarian.

Come on! Somebody had to do it.[:D]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 8:00:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Why are you asking?  It sounds like you think it's dumb to be a vegitarian.  Dude if you really knew about meat and what it does to you and where it comes from you'd start to think more seriously about it.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 8:09:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Why are you asking?  It sounds like you think it's dumb to be a vegitarian.  Dude if you really knew about meat and what it does to you and where it comes from you'd start to think more seriously about it.
View Quote

Humans are Omnivores.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 8:11:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm very familiar with where it comes from.  Killed plenty myself.  My next freezer full is currently mooing in a pasture about 30 miles from here in Longmont.  He's a nice Angus steer.  mmmmmm good!
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 8:12:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 8:17:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Cavemen lived pretty long on meat alone, well until the ice age
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 8:27:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Vegetarian children are no more healthy than meat eating children. We evolved being omnivores. We are not cows. We do not have the digestive system to process only vegetables. Our brains need nutrients only meat can provide.

There are loads of articles about this. But the strict vegetarians act like they're the healthy ones and ridicule those of us who eat meat because we are 'poisoning our bodies' with meat.

I don't slaughter my own food because I don't have to. Just like I don't change my own oil because I don't have to. It's easier and cheaper for me to pay someone else to take care of it all.

You know, I think I'll go to culvers tomorrow and have a bacon butterburger deluxe basket. Two dead animals on a bun. MMMMMMMM.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 8:28:50 PM EDT
[#10]
jtw, I don't think the vast majority of Americans get their meat that way.  But I'm glad you can get it nice and fresh.

RodgerDodger: Well I'm not a caveman so I don't know how that's relevant.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 8:32:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Not to hijack this, but here's a good starter article on 'the myths of vegetarianism'.

[url]http://www.mercola.com/2000/apr/2/vegetarian_myths.htm[/url]

For too long mainstream society has meekly nodded in agreement when told that vegetarianism was a more healthy way to live, just like they nod when they are told that guns are dangerous. Thank God I passed through that 'low meat diet' phase. I'm much healthier and happier after ditching veggie burgers.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 8:33:59 PM EDT
[#12]
yep, right here.

Only thing I eat is Chicken once in a great while so I guess im not 100% veggie
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 8:37:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I eat vegetarians.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 8:43:57 PM EDT
[#14]
I have yet to meet a strict vegitarian that was not a really wierd person. More often than not they are "hippie" types.

blah
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 8:47:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
I think you're taking it a little two far.  he's asking two things.  he's asking if  there are "any vegetarians here?" and, if so, "why do [they] do it?"

nothing whatsoever in those eight words implies he in any way thinks it's dumb to be vegetarian.  it implies he's curious whether there are vegetarians who read this board (and it's a logical step to assume he wants to know who) and that he would like to know their reasons for adhering to such a diet.

kinda like when I meat (sic [:D]) someone and we end up getting some food.  I might ask "so are you a vegetarian?" and if they say 'yes' I'll ask "why?"  just because I ask "why" doesn't mean I think it's dumb.  it means I'm curious why they're vegetarian.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 8:50:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Everytime I think of vegetarians, I think of the quote....

HANNITY: Let me ask you. You know, the PETA people, the animal rights people hate your guts. You know that.

NUGENT: I'm so proud. I couldn't be more proud. Every time they open their mouth, I kill a dozen of something for them.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/1/2003 9:17:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Seems like the few true vegetarians I've met are all kinda pale and frail looking.

Maybe I havn't met enough of em,but they seem kinda sickly.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 9:58:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm very familiar with where it comes from.  Killed plenty myself.
View Quote

Yep.[^]

Out of a family of 5, 4 of us deer hunt. Last fall the 4 of us got 5 adult deer (smallest one was 120lbs field dressed) and we currently are down to about 30 lbs of venison in the freezer.

Deer tastes good.[}:D]

Oh yeah, my uncle raises some(about 200) chickens, and every year we go out there with our relatives, slaughter chickens, and buy/bring home a bunch of freshly kilt birds. (yes, chickens running around with their heads cut off does look weird)

We also buy beef and pork locally whenever possible.

So yes,  I do know where it comes from.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 10:04:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Maybe some of you vegetarian assholes can answer a question for me.

What is the purpose of hummis?
I LOVE that crap, but don't know what it is meant for?
Is it a "spread", or a condiment?
Or is it a meal itself?
Should it be "thick" or "runny"?

It seems all the veggieheads i've ever smelled were really into hummis.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 10:05:20 PM EDT
[#20]
I'll have the 14 oz filet mignon, rare, with a loaded baked potato.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 10:42:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Maybe some of you [red]vegetarian assholes[/red] can answer a question for me.
View Quote

Why the fuck do you have to be disrespectful?
Cant you respect someone's choice to eat what they want or don't want? Does it hurt you in anyway or anyone else that a person doesn't want to eat meant?

What the fuck is your problem? If someone doesn't like to own or shoot bolt-actions does that make them assholes because they have different opinions and likes?

Grow the fuck up - Asshole!
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 10:51:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 11:01:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Why the fuck do you have to be disrespectful?
Cant you respect someone's choice to eat what they want or don't want? Does it hurt you in anyway or anyone else that a person doesn't want to eat meant?

What the fuck is your problem? If someone doesn't like to own or shoot bolt-actions does that make them assholes because they have different opinions and likes?

Grow the fuck up - Asshole!
View Quote

Aw golly.. What the hell was I thinking.

I didn't mean to hurt your feelings by saying "asshole".
Maybe change your Maxi-Pad and take a nice, hot shower, and i'm sure you'll be in a better mood, Sally.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 11:13:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 11:16:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Aw golly.. What the hell was I thinking.

I didn't mean to hurt your feelings by saying "asshole".
Maybe change your Maxi-Pad and take a nice, hot shower, and i'm sure you'll be in a better mood, Sally.
View Quote

LOL you didnt hurt my feelings.

I just dont take it lightly when some -------disrespects other members here.

If you value being a member at this site, I suggest you read the Code of Conduct where is says attacking other members is not permitted.

*Edited my language*
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 11:18:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 11:20:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
For your information, [b]M4_Aiming_at_U[/b], referring to another Member as a "piece of shit" constitutes an attack also.  Everyone, please knock it off, or this thread will be locked.  [:(!]
View Quote

I call it Verbal Self-Defense
I will delete my language from the post.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 11:21:49 PM EDT
[#28]
I don't mean to say that vegetarians are stupid assholes. What I meant was that some vegetarians are stupid and some are assholes. Some vegetarians are both stupid AND are assholes. Sorry about, you know, pigeon holeing anyone. [;)]

Seriously, vegetarianism aint so bad. I feel pretty good when I don't eat meat. I was a vegetarian for a while and it did me good. I think that catholics actually have something there with the not eating meat on fridays. I'm not catholic, but I don't eat meat a couple of days out of the week just because I feel healthier that way.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 11:25:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I call it Verbal Self-Defense
I will delete my language from the post.
View Quote

LMFAO!
What a turd!

"REFER TO THE CODE OF CONDUCT!"
View Quote

"IF YOU WANT TO REMAIN A MEMBER AROUND HERE.."
View Quote

"VERBAL SELF DEFENSE!"
View Quote

Why do I get the feeling the internet is a very important part of your life...
(PS- Vegetarianism is a sickness. A bonnafide mental illness, like people who eat dirt or feces.)

Link Posted: 6/1/2003 11:43:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 11:49:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
"REFER TO THE CODE OF CONDUCT!"
View Quote

"IF YOU WANT TO REMAIN A MEMBER AROUND HERE.."
View Quote

"VERBAL SELF DEFENSE!"
View Quote

Sounds like the artist formerly known as a mod round here....

(PS- Vegetarianism is a sickness. A bonnafide mental illness, like people who eat dirt or feces.)
View Quote

I wouldnt say sickness....There is one vegetarian at work. He said "Everytime I think of meat, I see chickens being fed into a meat grinder (electric) beak first, including their feet....

Sickness? maybe so, if not a serious crack (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) Problem
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 12:51:10 AM EDT
[#32]
I know plenty of vegans (people who dont eat any animal products or even wear animal products, they don't purchase products ever tested on animals either). They aren't any different then the rest of us, other than popping supplemental pills.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 12:54:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

LMFAO!
What a turd!

View Quote

I smell troll.  That sure looks like another insult to me.  

IBTL!!!!
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 8:45:02 AM EDT
[#34]
I don't have any personal criticism toward vegetarians.  What they choose to eat is their business.  That's cool.  What I can't stand is one of those self-righteous, militant ones telling me I'M wrong for what I choose to eat.  Responses to those include:

- If God didn't want us to eat animals why did He make them out of meat?
- If we aren't supposed too eat meat why did God put the wrong teeth in our mouths?
- Acts 10:9-13.  "About noon the following day as they were on their journey and approaching the city, Peter went up on the roof to pray. He became hungry and wanted something to eat, and while the meal was being prepared, he fell into a trance. He saw heaven opened and something like a large sheet being let down to earth by its four corners. It contained all kinds of four-footed animals, as well as reptiles of the earth and birds of the air. Then a voice told him, "Get up, Peter. Kill and eat."

For those of you who are vegetarians and are happy with your personal choice, I wish you well.  For those of you who consider me a murderer for eating meat, mind your own business.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 9:29:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 9:43:59 AM EDT
[#36]
If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat??
Merril_B[:K], one step closer to the lock.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 9:49:49 AM EDT
[#37]
… Well, if you like hamburgers give 'em a try sometime.  Me, I can't usually eat 'em 'cause my girlfriend's a vegetarian.  Which more or less makes me a vegetarian, but I sure love the taste of a good burger.
… You know what they call a Quarter Pounder with Cheese in France?
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 10:15:09 AM EDT
[#38]
It's a royal PITA when I'm ashore because Mrs Pic went Vegan on me a while back.

I still eat meat and she'll cook me chicken and fish, but if I want any red meat, there's probably going to be a lot of whining and I end up cooking it outside, which is OK because I like my meat cooked on an open fire.

Which reminds me, There's a pretty good sirloin sale going on at the local super.......Hmmmmm.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 10:43:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Seems like the few true vegetarians I've met are all kinda pale and frail looking.

Maybe I havn't met enough of em,but they seem kinda sickly.
View Quote

really?  i'm 6', 195 pounds and can easily bench my weight.  i haven't been to the hospital sick ever. i run, and play soccer and the only time i've broken a bone was when i still ate meat.

my reasons for being a vegetarian are two-fold:  1. our meat based culture raises effeminate children that prefer to have the violence that their life-style creates hidden from the nicely wrapped final product.  they don't have to sledge a cow, or cut off a chicken's head.  i would prefer that the blood and the pain was seared into every bite of chicken kiev.

2. the current level of meat consumption in america could never be sustained worldwide.  40% of grain grown feeds animals going to slaughter ([url]http://members.tripod.com/mrparis/book1/chapter7.htm[/url]).  you want to see the foreign pressure boiling and terrorists being born?  take a look at your steak and your ford excursion.

i've got no mercy for animals.  i am the evolutionary winner.  life feeds on life.  however, as the evolutionary winner, i want to stay on top and the current obsession w/ meat is the sort of excess that brings about the end of an empire.

i eat fish and game i kill in *moderation*.  i get to see the eyes of the crab as i'm breaking its claws, i get to see the intestines of the deer as i gut it.  i don't eat more than the environment can sustain, and i don't hide myself from the gory details.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 10:51:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Maybe some of you vegetarian assholes can answer a question for me.

View Quote

Nice people skills.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 10:54:25 AM EDT
[#41]

I just read an article last week that rickets is making a strong comeback in the babies of  nursing vegetarian mothers.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 10:55:41 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I just read an article last week that rickets is making a strong comeback in the babies of  nursing vegetarian mothers.
View Quote

source?
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 10:57:58 AM EDT
[#43]
The old saying regarding "everything in moderation" holds true for diet. A balanced diet of meat, fish, vegetables, fruit and starches (omnivorous diet) is how our bodies have evolved.

The problem I have with commercial meat (and commercial vegetables for that matter) is the amazing amount of chemical stuff in there. It has been argued that the hormones in our meat supply are adversely affecting our evolution. I wouldn't be suprized.

Thats why I try to kill enough meat during hunting season to keep the freezer full throughout the year. You know how long you can feed a family with just one 800lb moose? Man, that stuff is good, too. Yep, wild game is "Free Range" and "Organic" and killing your own food is simply how nature works. Going to the grocery store and filling up your cart with commercial vegetables is unnatural [:D]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 11:08:54 AM EDT
[#44]
make mine a 12 ounce ribeye, rare to medium rare.  throw a baked potato and a bud light into the equation and i'm done.  vegetables/greens/grasses/other plants are either for enhancing the flavor of meat or for putting the weight on that steer so you can haul his dumb ass to the slaughterhouse.  

but, you say you dont want to eat meat?  okey dokey, works for me, but you jam that "poor animals, you murderer!!!!!!!!!!" shit down my throat and i'm going to make that ribeye a 16 oz'er

and as far as PETA goes, i bet half of those nutjobs ride to the protests on leather seats in their FN BMW's and Lexus's and all that other shit

Link Posted: 6/2/2003 11:09:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

God made people out of meat as well.  Do you eat people?

-smn
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 11:15:04 AM EDT
[#46]
I'm a meatitarian. Because plants have feelings too!
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 11:15:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

God made people out of meat as well.  Do you eat people?

-smn
View Quote

No, but other animals do. Circle of life. Go rent the lion king if you don't understand. Or get a south park DVD where mr hanky sings about 'the circle of poo'.

BTW, your argument is along the lines of 'does the second amendment mean you have the right to have a nuclear bomb' coming from the anti gun crowd.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 11:16:01 AM EDT
[#48]
i don't understand meat eater's hostility towards vegetarians.  why do you f*cking care?
i don't care what you eat.  is it like liberal guilt as the cause of affirmative action?  meat eating guilt is the cause of vegetarian hostility?  you're going to ridicule me using my god given freedom to eat what i want?

well, that has all the same pitfalls as gun control advocates ridiculing my right to own guns.  "meat tastes good"  as an argument against vegetarianism is just as inane as "i'm scared of guns" as an argument against gun ownership.  it's emotional, and uninformed.

you want freedom? this is freedom.  and i'll fight and kill for my right to not like the politics of steakhouses and burger joints.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 11:18:53 AM EDT
[#49]
ok, ok, ok, un[b]_twist[/b] your panties for a second............

i dont think anybody here wants to tell you what to eat, they're just not used to having a rational discussion about this subject, other than just some rabid liberal trying to dictate to us what we need to be eating or not eating, which is your argument turned around, thats all

fur is murder!!!!!!!!!!
meat is murder!!!!!!!!!

any of these ringing a bell?
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 11:22:03 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I know plenty of vegans (people who dont eat any animal products or even wear animal products, they don't purchase products ever tested on animals either). They aren't any different then the rest of us, other than popping supplemental pills.
View Quote

Ever heard of kosher plastic?  $10 says your vegan friends haven't either.  [}:D]  I was amazed to find out that there are many forms of plastic that are stabilized with animal products.  The plant where my father-in-law works makes plastic, and apparently they make kosher plastic there as well.

It's somewhat satisfying knowing that your vegetarian friends, who care so much about the little fuzzy animals, are still contributing to their demise with their bottled water and consumer purchases.

And back on topic, I think I'm somewhat of an odd case.  I grew up in a rural community raising livestock for slaughter.  I raised chickens, cows, and pigs personally and we grew all the vegetables we ate.  Peas, corn, carrots, tomatoes (used to eat them off the vine like apples!), watermelons, and tons of other stuff.  Then my dad died and I started going to urban schools.  I fell in with the liberal hippie crowd.  I did the vegetarian thing for my senior year of high school, but it wasn't too strict.  I still ate meat when I felt like it.  It was definitely a peer pressure thing back when I was a spineless hippie liberal.  I seriously blame it on the fact that my dad dying.  I did a lot of odd things back then because I was upset about hiim being gone, and it was only worse because he wasn't there to slap me straight.

When I got away from that group of friends, I eventually became a real person and got back to eating meat.  My biggest problem is the way in which the animals are raised and prepared.  I have no problem still eating a steak though.  I just prefer to know where my food comes from, and where I live it's not hard to get a cow for slaughter.  When we get out of this suburban hellhole and into some acreage, I plan on getting back to the joys of raising livestock and growing my own food again.

I still enjoy some of the vegetarian foods, like tofu (firm only), vegi-burgers, and what not.  But I had no ethical issues eating that 24oz porterhouse cooked medium yesterday, and would do it gladly again today if I could afford it.  Yum!

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top