Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/1/2003 12:23:33 PM EDT
I got an offer, through the AR15.COM email system, for one of the handguns I have listed for sale here.

Aside from offering me less than I'll take, which is his right, he stated that he was "willing to do a direct sale. I 'll send you the money and you send me the gun."  Followed by an offer to send me the name and address of his FFL if I wanted to do that.

Frankly, I wouldn't do business with someone who asked me to commit a felony even if he offered me twice what the gun was worth.

So what do you think; troll, ATF agent, moron?

BTW, the private sale of handguns in my state is unlawful. Longarms can be sold that way, and you can mail a longarm intrastate legally to a non-licensee. But the specific gun this guy wanted was a handgun.

Link Posted: 6/1/2003 12:25:04 PM EDT
[#1]
"shall not be infringed"
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 12:25:23 PM EDT
[#2]
probably a fed

i bet they're itching to shut down "virtual gunshows" such as the EE
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 12:33:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 12:39:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Take it from me, sometimes people just don't know.  However, in his case, he indicated he did know by his later comment about doing it through the FFL if you wanted to do that.

I'm betting he's a dumbass, not a fed, mainly because feds know that people in states with licensing procedures don't sell guns that will remain on their licenses.  

Plus, can we say entrapment?  I'd say it'd be easy to prove entrapment unless you have prior convictions of the same sort.

Just tell him to go scratch.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 12:48:47 PM EDT
[#5]
He's either ignorant or hopeing you are.

I doubt it's the feds....
-HS
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 1:00:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 1:06:03 PM EDT
[#7]
He's a dumbass Run don't walk away from this sale.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 1:07:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I had a similar situation about a year ago.

I was selling three handguns in the EE.
Got email from a guy in VA wanting to do a "face to face" no paperwork deal.
I told him it was cool with long guns, but handguns, forget it...
He assured me it was OK in VA to do such a thing.
Not knowing VA laws, I actually considered it, but then did my homework, by asking my FFL how to handle it.

Only way to do it is through an FFL in VA.

I agreed to meet the buyer for the transaction, and an afternoon of shooting.

When at the FFL doing the transfer, I learned of the "One gun a month" law in VA.
The FFL was familiar with the buyer, and knew he already used his tokens for that month.
The buyer was forced to leave the three guns he bought from me with the FFL.

All in all the transaction went smooth, and I got paid.
The buyer seemed sincere, but I believe he tried to capitalize on my ignorance.
That lesson taught me to be sure and do my homework before selling guns...
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 1:13:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Now do you people believe me of the number of feds, mjtf, state doj, and agent provocateurs that have infiltrated this board?
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 1:14:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 1:20:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes, a moron.  Lazy idiot probably has some delusion that he's free to buy and sell among other citizens without an okay from the state.  God, what a jerk.  Run away from fools who don't give due regard to the laws of the land.  Bozo, that one.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 5:11:46 PM EDT
[#12]
I wouldn't be quite as harsh as you guys that used words like moron.  Most of the people I know are still shocked to find-out that you have to fill-out paperwork to buy a gun now or that you can no longer buy mail order.  I know I was a couple of years ago when I first looked into buying an AR lower.  I couldn't believe you had to go through an FFL.  Remember, you could be dealing with someone that last bought or sold a gun before the GCA.z

Link Posted: 6/1/2003 5:15:10 PM EDT
[#13]
could just be naive about the law, up until i started visiting here, i didn't know you had to go through an FFL to transfer handguns
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 5:47:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Some one educate this moron please but as far as I was aware Person to Person sales are legal in AZ.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 5:52:50 PM EDT
[#15]
I wouldn't go so far to call the guy a moron or BATFE sting. Probably just uninformed. I ran into a similar situation with a [b]PROMINENT[/b] board member (he is actually a moderator in some forums here) last year over a handgun sale. He wanted to just send it directly to me USPS. He wasn't a moron or BATFE shill, just uninformed.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 12:48:40 AM EDT
[#16]
wouldn't do it through the mail.  That'd be silly.  Could be he's comfortable with the "community" here and feels like it's like dealing with a neighbor.  Or maybe it's your old governor filling his new shoes [rolleyes]

I did a little reading on Pa law.  I can't believe Pa doesn't consider a rifle or shotgun a "firearm" nor a short barrel an AOW.  It's almost like they remember we have a Constitution.  Maybe they just don't feel the need to duplicate federal regs.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 1:15:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
He wasn't a moron or BATFE shill, just uninformed.
View Quote

That's what Randy Weaver thought too.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 2:19:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 2:22:13 AM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

So you would believe one of our fair moderators is a BATFE informant? I don't think so. I had him go through an FFL holder on my end and ship it UPS. Everything worked out just hunky dory.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 2:35:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

So you would believe one of our fair moderators is a BATFE informant? I don't think so. I had him go through an FFL holder on my end and ship it UPS. Everything worked out just hunky dory.
View Quote

Be careful asking Imbroglio what he thinks about some of our "fair moderators."
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 3:34:39 AM EDT
[#21]
I'd vote moron. There are more and more born everyday.

Here's a recent example for me: I'm an FFL in PA. A young man comes in wanting to buy a handgun. No problem, I show him what I have and he picks one out. THEN he says "I'm only 20, I'll have to get my MOM to come buy it for me". Wha, wha, what? He knows he can't buy a handgun until 21 and I show him the question on the 4473 that says "Are you the purchaser, yada, yada". Now when mommy comes to buy the handgun, she'd have to lie on the form. Am I supposed to overlook that lie? Risk my license and more because he can't wait a year to buy his first handgun? No thanks!

BTW it was good to meet you out on "Fog Mountain" a couple weeks ago DavidC. I was the guy parked next to you in the red Jeep.

Sam B.
[url=http://www.fireflyarms.com]FireflyArms.com[/url]

Link Posted: 6/2/2003 3:48:38 AM EDT
[#22]
SamB,

Can two (2) PA residents do a private, person to peson, handgun sale?

Just want to know.

Mike
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 4:13:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Mike,

No. PA handgun sales must go through a dealer or county sheriff. The dealer or sheriff must fill out the Application/Record of Sale Form (SP4-113) and perform a PICS check.

Sam B.
[url=http://www.fireflyarms.com]FireflyArms.com[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top