Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 5/31/2003 7:33:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/31/2003 7:35:05 PM EDT by LoginName]
What makes this nonsense even sadder is that it's coming from a state Attorney General. (Yeah, I know it's 2 weeks old but I just found out about it today). [url]http://www.riag.state.ri.us/press/2003/February/02-18-03_toy%20gun%20bash.htm[/url] “Not fun and games” Lynch announces “Toy Gun Bash”—May 17th event to feature swap of toys for toy guns, provide free gun locks Providence—Attorney General Patrick C. Lynch today announced that the Department of Attorney General will hold a “Toy Gun Bash” on Saturday, May 17, at the Mount Hope Learning Center in Providence. Children 14 and under who attend will be the first to use the “Bash-O-Matic,” an aptly named device that will be invented just for this event. Devised and built by students at the New England Institute of Technology, the “Bash-O-Matic” has a single purpose: to destroy toy guns. In return for “giving up their guns,” Lynch said children will receive a substitute toy (valued at between $5 and $10) and be eligible to win additional prizes. Although it takes a fun approach, the “Toy Gun Bash” obviously has a serious message. “Toy guns are not fun and games,” explained Lynch. “Tragic accidents happen too often because children and adults alike find it hard to distinguish a toy gun from a real gun. Just as important, we need to do a better job teaching our children not to point toy guns at anybody because it simulates killing. We’d like the kids who attend to have fun as they learn about the dangers of all firearms—toy guns and real guns.” Information about gun safety will be provided for adults as well as children. According to research compiled by the Children’s Defense Fund, Harvard School of Public Health, U.S. Centers for Disease Control, and other groups: Every day 9 children die from gunfire in the United States. Two-thirds of students in grades 6 to 12 say they could obtain a firearm in 24hours. Nearly 3 times as many children under the age of 2 died from gunfire as the number of law enforcement officers killed in the line of duty. More children die from gunfire than from cancer, pneumonia, influenza, and HIV/AIDS combined. “Clearly, the evidence indicates that we’ve got to do something,” said Lynch, who added that he was “very pleased with the positive response the department is having from both the private and public sectors to ensure the success of the Gun Bash.” Partners include Justice Assistance as well as the U.S. Department of Justice, New England Institute of Technology, Rhode Island Justice Commission, Providence Police Department, and Mount Hope Learning Center. The Community Prosecution Unit within the Department of the Attorney General has direct responsibility for planning the “Toy Gun Bash.” This Unit works toward community-based crime prevention and prosecution and improving a community’s quality of life.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 7:42:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/31/2003 7:43:45 PM EDT by P806]
Originally Posted By LoginName: More children die from gunfire than from cancer, pneumonia, influenza, and HIV/AIDS combined.
View Quote
[BS] Damn, I get tired of this BS.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 7:42:48 PM EDT
Well, as long as we're making up meaningless statistics, here's a few of mine: * More children are killed everyday by guns than are killed in a year by meteors. * More children are killed by guns every year than are trampled to death by wild elephants. * More children are killed by guns every year than are killed by venomous spiders in Iceland. * More children are killed by guns every year than are abducted by aliens from Zeta Reticuli III. * More children are killed by guns every year than are run over by pink Hummers. * More children are killed by guns every year than are killed by man-eating algae. * More children are killed by guns every year than are poisoned by gummy bears that have been exposed to cosmic rays. * More children are killed by guns every year than are killed by cordless electric drills with dead batteries. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 7:47:50 PM EDT
The real sad thing about statistics like this is that if you were to crawl behind the data, here is what you would find. Of those "x" number of "children" who "die by gunfire" each day. A majority are pre-teens who die by their own hands. I'm sorry, but suicide is endemic in our nation, even in areas with no guns. Kids just OD or slit wrists, or jump off of shit in those places.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 8:13:32 PM EDT
Too bad the majority of those "children" are gang members up to the age of 21 who are killed in relation to criminal activity.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 8:16:26 PM EDT
Toys and a gross of condoms.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 8:17:10 PM EDT
Exactly. Is a 16 year old drug dealer gunned down by rivals really a child victim of gun violence?
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 8:20:11 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Phil_A_Steen: Exactly. Is a 16 year old drug dealer gunned down by rivals really a child victim of gun violence?
View Quote
As a matter of fact, yes they are.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 8:24:58 PM EDT
Originally Posted By LoginName: More children die from gunfire than from cancer, pneumonia, influenza, and HIV/AIDS combined.
View Quote
Fucking duh! Children usually don't die of old age, or of sexually transmitted diseases, so _if_ a kid dies that at a young age, it's usually under some sort of violent circumstances.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 8:26:43 PM EDT
good i hate children
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 8:31:03 PM EDT
unless that's a typo and should be 12 and not 2 I call BS I might even call BS if it should be 12
Nearly 3 times as many children under the age of 2 died from gunfire as the number of law enforcement officers killed in the line of duty.
View Quote
and smashing their toy guns? that should be illegal. we used to have huge toy gun battles as a kid and early teen. with toy guns that were the correct color, no flourascent guns for us
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 8:43:37 PM EDT
what are the stats on child pool drownings?, and children dying in auto accidents? does this mean we should ban pools and cars?
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 8:55:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/31/2003 8:56:10 PM EDT by Vulcan59]
Why don't we put people who abuse their children in machines like that?? Or how about the guy that came up with that BS statistic. I would pay THEM 5 - 10$ to do that. Or on a more serious note, why don't they use that money to teach people proper weapon saftey. Or give it to an orphanage or something.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 8:56:34 PM EDT
Originally Posted By sharky30: and smashing their toy guns? that should be illegal. we used to have huge toy gun battles as a kid and early teen. with toy guns that were the correct color, no flourascent guns for us
View Quote
Exactly! Thats what worries me almost as much as them trying to ban guns, these people are doing their best to create generations of cowards. I'm sure most of us here played war as much as anything else, with the cool toy guns that we used to be able to get. We used to have games like dodge ball (man, that was a great game) & we had real competition, with winners & losers. Now we get sensitivity training for kids, they probably want our boys to play with dolls now. If they get their way "Manhood" as we know it will be gone & we will have a neutered society.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 9:04:09 PM EDT
What exactly does semper fi mean?
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 9:12:52 PM EDT
Semper Fi.... It is the shortened version of the Latin, Semper Fidelis. It is the Marine Corps Motto and it means,"Always Faithful".
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 9:26:32 PM EDT
Originally Posted By keving67:
Originally Posted By Phil_A_Steen: Exactly. Is a 16 year old drug dealer gunned down by rivals really a child victim of gun violence?
View Quote
As a matter of fact, yes they are.
View Quote
No, they are not! They are victims of gang voilence. The "gun" didn't do a damn thing.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 9:29:30 PM EDT
Now, can someone explain how this is while the U.S. has strict gun control?
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 9:36:08 PM EDT
Glock-O-Matic? cynic
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:50:14 AM EDT
Cool stats, I'm curious who the RI AG/govt defines as children? I've seen ages from 0-25 years old. Where & who is the original study?
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 8:00:34 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 8:11:56 AM EDT
gang violence AND child suicides are included in those figures to spice them up...
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 8:12:02 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Jarhead_22: Can I pick the nine for today?
View Quote
[lol]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 8:18:05 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 8:21:56 AM EDT
Every day, more than 9 homeless adults are denied adequate and timely medical care at hospitals due to sick children taking up valuable medical resources. ...see, you just have to debate with liberals using their "talking points" against them.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 8:52:53 AM EDT
There is a UNICEF report regarding the leading cause of death in children in developed nations. Anyone care to guess what the number one killer is? %41 Motor vehicle accidents. %15 Drowning %14 Intentional, murder by parents %16 Unintentional, other %7 Fire %4 Falls %2 Poisoning Firearm deaths rank in the lowest statistical catagory %1 along with trampling by wild animals, meteor strikes and alien abductions. [url]http://www.unicef-icdc.org/publications/pdf/repcard2e.pdf [/url] Therefore, politicians should start saving children by banning all automobiles, closing the automobile plants, banning automobile imports, plowing up the highways & interstates & roads so that travel is possible by foot, donkey, horse and wagons. Futhermore, if 9 kids a day died from guns, it would be all over the news. Stop by you local interstate rest area and look at all the missing children posters, 7000 kids a month go missing. Do you really think that guns are a bigger problem?????
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 8:56:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/1/2003 8:57:13 AM EDT by a320az]
I have a new one that needs to get around. Everyday 9 children drown in Az because their stupid ass parents don't watch them...So stop worrying about our fucking guns!!! Well??? Edited because im a moron and kant spell
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 8:58:39 AM EDT
[bs2]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 9:15:51 AM EDT
Originally Posted By EX11B: what are the stats on child pool drownings?, and children dying in auto accidents? does this mean we should ban pools and cars?
View Quote
dont forget about bicycles and toddlers eating poisons. the stats. on these deaths are always left out when guns are being talked about.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 9:50:34 AM EDT
We should sent you folks to the congress! Oh wait...reasonable and logical men have no place in congress [:(]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 1:00:29 PM EDT
The top law enforcement officer in that state obviously has more concrete information available to him than a bunch of civilians and their "fact filled" biased internet websites. Why are you people so resistant to reasonable and common sense gun safety that the president promotes? All you will succeed in doing is making him lose the election and then you will have a democrat taking the credit for the same laws. Please come to your senses.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 1:40:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/1/2003 1:45:25 PM EDT by Bobby_the_Hun]
[BS] [BS] [BS] [BS] [BS] 15,16 or 17 year old drug dealers don't count.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 2:01:12 PM EDT
Originally Posted By EX11B: what are the stats on child pool drownings?, and children dying in auto accidents? does this mean we should ban pools and cars?
View Quote
And ban car pools while we're at it.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 2:18:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/1/2003 2:19:35 PM EDT by 556mm]
Hmmmmm, I wonder how many children die everyday in the custody of our wonderful government who are supposed to have the answers to our problems. I bet that number would be at least 2-3 times as high. More children are killed everyday because of ignorant ass piece of shit parents who ride around with thier babies on thier laps in the front seat of the car. More children are killed everyday by stupid ass parents with swimming pools who think it is OK to "take a short nap" while thier toddler, who can walk and open unlocked doors, plays unsupervised. More children are killed everyday by moronic asswipe parents who leave thier kids unsupervised while they "step out of the room for just moment" or "I was only on the phone a few minutes". More children are killed everyday by idiotic sub-intelligent parents who leave them locked up in a car that is not running(wouldn't want to waste gas you know), while they "run inside for a few minutes", translates into " I went inside and smoked some crack and had unprotected sex with 3 or 4 STD infected crackheads" Truth be told, kids biggest natural enemies are stupid parents that shouldn't be allowed to BREATH, much less BREED! But because there a few that die very quickly from a GSW, let's ban all guns while we console the crackheaded bitch for leaving her kid to die a slow, agonizing death locked in a car while it is 95* degrees outside. What a wonderful society we've evolved into. 556mm p.s. sorry for the incoherant ranting. I feel better now.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 2:27:52 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Bobby_the_Hun: [BS] [BS] [BS] [BS] [BS] 15,16 or 17 year old drug dealers don't count.
View Quote
Actually they count them all the way up to age 21. The magazine America's First Freedom exposed the "9 children every day" statistic last year. About 80% of them were in relation to gang on gang shootings and criminal shot in the course of criminal activity. In other words, if a 17 year old gang banger is shot by a woman he is trying to rape, he becomes a "child of gun violence." Same holds true for gang members killed in drive bys by other gang members or drug deal related shootings. The remaining 20% include suicides. But if you include suicides by narcotics with your "killed by drugs" statistics the liberals cry foul. The genuine cases of children killed by firearm "accidents" is less than 1%.
Top Top