Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/31/2003 8:39:10 AM EDT
I have been using foam plugs but want to upgrade to muffs.  Which are the best for shooting rifles/pistols.  I dont want something that interferes w cheek weld, but I dont want something so lightweight that it doesnt work.  Thanks for your reply.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 8:50:59 AM EDT
[#1]
What he said
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 9:00:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I would do both, plugs and muffs. BUT sound is often transmitted to your ears via the bones in your body. I went in to an audiogist for a hearing test, and right away he could tell that I was a right-handed pistol shooter by my hearing curve. There are more minute losses at some frequencies than others, and there were more losses in the right ear vs. the left ear. He was a shooter himself, he recommends to minimize hearing loss, especially on indoor ranges, stand outside when other people are shooting 44 mags. And buy the best muffs you can afford.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 9:03:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 9:54:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What matters is the decibel rating. Decibels (I hope I get this right) double with each point i.e. 30 decibels is twice as much as 29, not 3% more, I think.
View Quote

No, the dB scale is logarithmic.  If you go from 20 dB to 30dB, then you have just increased the sound by 10 times.  This translates to [b]roughly[/b] doubling the volume for every 3 points on the dB scale.

I haven't found any muffs that I can wear without disturbing cheek weld either.  You'd think someone would have designed around that!

By the way, at the range last weekend, a few guys came out and were shooting a SAR-1 and an SKS without hearing protection.  I shot my SKS once without hearing protection and that was enough for me!  Those people have got to be nuts!  Is shooting without hearing protection really that common?

By the way, this was the anarchy range, which is on public land and doesn't have any range officers, so you can do that sort of thing out there.

-Nick Viejo.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 10:23:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Anybody tries the expensive electronic models that block loud sounds but allow normal conversation?   There should be a sorce for reviews of the best muffs but I cant seem to locate one......
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 10:26:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 10:37:50 AM EDT
[#7]
These are interesting.

[url]http://www.earinc.com/p1-electronic.php[/url]
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 10:46:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Anybody tries the expensive electronic models that block loud sounds but allow normal conversation?   There should be a sorce for reviews of the best muffs but I cant seem to locate one......
View Quote

Quoted:
I have heard the electronic ones do not provide the same protection as the better regular ones but do not know if that is true.

I have considered those "Game Ears" for hunting though. The 7mm Rem Mag with the brake is a bit much [shock]
View Quote

Quoted:
I haven't found any muffs that I can wear without disturbing cheek weld either.  You'd think someone would have designed around that!
-Nick Viejo.
View Quote

I love the Peltors, they shut down real quick to prevent the high-intensity sounds from hitting your ears, and they recover fast enough for you to carry on a normal conversation. I have the slimline Peltor(I forget which model, 7s?) but they were design for shotgunners to get a proper cheek weld against their guns. This model doesn't suppress the noise as much as the other other fatter model and it is not quite as comfortable, so you have to trade off a little. On the plus side, it is bit cheaper, uses 2-AAA batteries in each ear(4-total). The other model is a bit more expensive, more comfortable, suppresses sounds a more, uses a single 9V battery, and costs more.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 10:49:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 1:07:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I also recommend the Peltors. We are using the Comtacs right now. They are outstanding on the range. They are alittle spottier for actual tactical stuff, and there is a learning curve, but they are still better than having your eardrums blown out when your buddy shoots an M4 in a closet.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 1:30:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 5:19:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Are the Peltor Tac 6 good enough for the AR at an outdooe range.  I like like looks of these but want to make sure there is enough protection.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 7:42:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I also recommend the Peltors. We are using the Comtacs right now. They are outstanding on the range. They are alittle spottier for actual tactical stuff, and there is a learning curve, but they are still better than having your eardrums blown out when your buddy shoots an M4 in a closet.
View Quote

natez:

What are the pros and cons of use of the Peltor ComTacs for CQB type work based on your experience?

I just got some and they're great (even for mowing the lawn).  I'm interested in their potential use with rifles indoors for home defense.  Team commo is also an issue.

Thanks,

Corey
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 7:58:50 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm very interested in the Peltors,infact I think that will be my next purchase (before more guns or ammo[:D])when I can get a little scratch together.

They seem like they would be the ultimate.

I've even read articles where some models will amplify your hearing in the bush so you can here game russling around........Sounds cool.

I don't know about the SKS,but I shot half a dozen full power .357 rounds out of a GP100  without ear protection once.

Big mistake.

I had a bad headache and rock concert ear ringing for the rest of the day.

It was seriouisly painfull.

Link Posted: 5/31/2003 8:20:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Are the Peltor Tac 6 good enough for the AR at an outdooe range.  I like like looks of these but want to make sure there is enough protection.
View Quote

They sure are! I've used mine with my MT6400C M4 on a covered firing line, all the way to a line of 40 Marines in rapid fire. The only problem I've noticed is noise leakage if I'm wearing glasses with thicker legs(?).I really prefer wearing my rayban aviators w/ the wire wraparound earpieces under my Tac6. I need to find a proper pair of safety glasses with wire earpieces.

I also wear them in the butts. You can hear all sorts of interesting conversations during  firing.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 8:54:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Peltor Com Tac's, nothing else comes close.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 9:16:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

They sure are! I've used mine with my MT6400C M4 on a covered firing line, all the way to a line of 40 Marines in rapid fire. The only problem I've noticed is noise leakage if I'm wearing glasses with thicker legs(?).I really prefer wearing my rayban aviators w/ the wire wraparound earpieces under my Tac6. I need to find a proper pair of safety glasses with wire earpieces.

I also wear them in the butts. You can hear all sorts of interesting conversations during  firing.
View Quote

I wish I could have used my 7s on the line and in the butts, gunny, but they mess with a solid cheek weld on the line and I didn't want to keep track of a loose piece of gear from line to line and from line to the butts.

Semper Fi, Gunny!
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 9:40:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 5:45:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
natez:

What are the pros and cons of use of the Peltor ComTacs for CQB type work based on your experience?

I just got some and they're great (even for mowing the lawn).  I'm interested in their potential use with rifles indoors for home defense.  Team commo is also an issue.

Thanks,

Corey
View Quote

They are fairly directional, and normal speech comms, like from a Team Leader to another team member can be spotty at times. The problem is that the amplification is sensitive enough that background noise can drown out conversations, like a fan, air conditioners, someone's feet or gear making noise, drive fans on a computer, and so on. You can hear somebody hiding in a room, sometimes, but if the TV is still going in the living room, you can't hear them, or the Team Leader tell you to deploy a bang first. For Team member to Team member comms, we have had to start using a few more hand signals, or simply key up the radio. The Comtac will still work with the radio, even if their internal batteries are dead.

Our older bone conduction speaker mikes were probably more comfortable for extended perods, but provided no hearing protection. We have gotten rid of most of our subguns for .223s, and a .223 coming from a 14.5" bbl inside of a room will severely damage your hearing. I know from personal experience that auditory exclusion usually kicks in for pistol-caliber rounds in indoor shootings, so a few rounds fired from a pistol indoors seems to be no big deal, but carbines are another matter entirely.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 6:16:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I sure wish I would have had my Peltor Tac 6s 20 years ago [V]

Hearing loss sucks.
View Quote
[size=6] GUYS,[/size=6] I'd like to convey a long story to you.....use the best hearing protection you can=[b](plugs+muffs)[/b], the old guys at the VFW attribute a good % of their hearing loss to loud bangs when younger in war times if you know what I mean [;)]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 6:27:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I sure wish I would have had my Peltor Tac 6s 20 years ago [V]

Hearing loss sucks.
View Quote
[size=6] GUYS,[/size=6] I'd like to convey a long story to you.....use the best hearing protection you can=[b](plugs+muffs)[/b], the old guys at the VFW attribute a good % of their hearing loss to loud bangs when younger in war times if you know what I mean [;)]
View Quote

[size=6][b]Can I get an AMEN?[/b][/size=6]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 8:16:18 AM EDT
[#22]
I am a believer in ensuring hearing protection at all times.  However, I dont want to use both plugs and muffs if it is possible to protect hearing with muffs alone.  Thanks for all the feedback,  I am leaning toward the Tac 6. Kind of expensive but what the hay...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top