Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 5/30/2003 7:02:16 PM EDT
Carlos Casteneda- have you ever read his stuff? what did you think?
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 7:04:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/30/2003 7:05:01 PM EDT by raven]
Wonderful fiction. His books up until Journey to Ixtlan are great. After that it gets pretty weird, even more outlandish and unbelievable, but he insists it's all real and true.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 7:15:33 PM EDT
He's way the hell out there. All my pothead and peyote fiend buddies in high school lived by those books. They're still for sale in new age escapist book stores.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 7:26:57 PM EDT
Originally Posted By raven: Wonderful fiction. His books up until Journey to Ixtlan are great. After that it gets pretty weird, even more outlandish and unbelievable, but he insists it's all real and true.
View Quote
I have several of his books, including that one. I seem to recall, however, that he was recently proven to be a complete fraud.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 7:32:42 PM EDT
No doubt that he's a fraud and Don Juan is a fictional character. Doesn't make his stories any less interesting.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 5:51:21 AM EDT
Any body know if he's still around? He'd have to be pretty old. I have not heard of him ever writing anything else beside the series- did he do anything else?
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 6:06:35 AM EDT
i've read most of his books...many years ago. do enough peyote and anything becomes "real". man, that shit is nasty tasting. while the literature was entertaining, much of it was pure corn.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 6:25:18 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Grock: Any body know if he's still around? He'd have to be pretty old. I have not heard of him ever writing anything else beside the series- did he do anything else?
View Quote
He died a few years ago. -Nick Viejo.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 10:48:31 AM EDT
Originally Posted By LARRYG: I have several of his books, including that one. I seem to recall, however, that he was recently proven to be a complete fraud.
View Quote
He was proven a fraud many years ago. There's a book about it, if you can find it, [i]The Don Juan Papers[/i], by Richard de Mille.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 11:38:37 AM EDT
Castaneda died a few years ago. There was one final book that is a synopsis of everything he wrote. Strange books. I tried reading the first one in high school, it didn't make any sense to me. Picked it up again a few years later and read it while I was stoned. It made PERFECT SENSE then (Maaaaan) [:)]
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 11:41:10 AM EDT
I read all his stuff back in the late 70's. Don Juan Matus, Nestor, La Gorda and all the other characters. Them peyote buttons will give you a good buzz. :) No one can prove if his writings are true one way or the other. It's all just opinions. There are a lot of people that still believe everything the government tells them. There is no difference here. Think of all the other books and movies that have come out over the years as being based on true events phenomena or such. Just think about the billions of people around the world that believe in GOD or the equivalent by any other name. I have yet to read or meet anyone that has been able to prove GOD exists. Ask anybody that believes in GOD to prove he exists and stand back. Its all just opinions and beliefs. Nothing wrong with that. Read Carlos Castaneda's books and form your own opinion.
Top Top