Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 5/30/2003 6:32:30 PM EDT
ok, the ducks just hatched what now. When should we first feed them ....how much when they start eating?
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:51:40 PM EDT
No help for you but congratulations. Where is the momma duck? She would know this type of stuff. Do ducks breast feed? Keving67
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:56:27 PM EDT
Feed them corn and water...cool water. Keep the area clean and save the manure for plants. Should be ready to eat in 10-12 weeks. E-mail me when you want the receipe for the glaze sauce.[;D] Sgtar15
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:57:18 PM EDT
The mother ate it, so we took over. I am pretty surprised that one has hatched. I don't think that htey breast feed. Regergitation perhapse?
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 7:01:47 PM EDT
Originally Posted By sgtar15: E-mail me when you want the receipe for the glaze sauce.[;D]
View Quote
[LOLabove]
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 7:03:10 PM EDT
give it worms, bugs etc. OR get it some baby food, which is ground up already. You can give it milk in a small dropper. Sgtar15
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 7:03:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/30/2003 7:05:48 PM EDT by keving67]
Originally Posted By killingmachine123: The mother ate it, so we took over. I am pretty surprised that one has hatched. I don't think that htey breast feed. Regergitation perhapse?
View Quote
I have done the same with raccons and rabbits. Its alot of fun when you have little kids around to see them grow up. I don't know what area you are from but if you have a TSC (Tractor Supply Company) around, give them a call. They always have baby chicks and ducks at the one by my house.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 7:06:06 PM EDT
Originally Posted By sgtar15: give it worms, bugs etc. OR get it some baby food, which is ground up already. You can give it milk in a small dropper. Sgtar15
View Quote
Thanks for the fod tips. How often do I need to feed them. Mind you, they JUST hatched.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 7:08:58 PM EDT
The ducks will start eating right away. You need to get a heat lamp and keep it on them otherwise they will freeze. You will need to do this until they get their real feathers. You need to find baby duck feed. The ducks aren't big enough to eat corn unless you grind it up. The baby duck feed is in small granuals. Once they grow a little you can get regular duck feed. You need to have plenty of water for the ducks but don't put a bowl of water in with them or they will drown. Baby ducks don't produce the oil needed, they get it from the mother when they go under her wing. So the ducks won't be able to swim for a little while but they will play in the water and make a huge mess. I raised all sorts of ducks for about 15 years. So if you have any more questions just IM or email me.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 7:09:53 PM EDT
Go to the feed store and buy some commercial gamebird starter. It is about 21 to 25% protein, which they need to get started. If you can't get that, a commercial broiler/chick starter will work. If you can't find a feed store, check some places that sell gamebird feeders. They may have some feed to fill them. You need to give them a balanced ration. Do not use bird seed, etc. This may work, but if you want the birds healthy start them off right. Also, to get them to find the food you might need to sprinkle some on top of some newspaper and let them "learn" how to find it. Good luck
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 7:15:36 PM EDT
Good advice already here. Dont feed them corn for quite a while,, get chick feed, or duckling feed. One thing I would suggest though is get them use to water. When I was growing up we had a chicken 'adopt' some ducklings, and those things never learned how to swim right.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 7:17:23 PM EDT
What kind of ducks? I have 5 Wood duck nest boxes out on the lake I live on. They all have eggs in them right now. Should be hatching real soon. Last year I timed it perfect...I was able to watch the little chicks leap out of one of the boxes. Next year, I'm going to mount a wireless camera in the closest box so I can watch it on my TV. Maybe I'll set up a Web page...WWW.Woodycam.com!
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 7:21:24 PM EDT
Feed them as ofetn as they want. Babies get hungry. I am serious....they make great meals if done right. Sgtar15
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 7:33:05 PM EDT
The have a yolk sack that will provide them with food for a few days. They eat a vegetarian type diet and you can feed them corn meal or go to a feed store and get some chops which is semi ground corn. You can also feed them lettuce, soy beans, rice or milo. They will also need some grit or very small gravel for their gizzard to help grind up their food. Keep their water very clean you have to buy some type a drops or small pill to put in the water or they can get sick and die. Your lucky they hatched out duck eggs must be keep moist and turned every 4 hours to hatch. Oh don't forget about the imprint thing if they see you and you take care of them when they first hatch you are mom from that point on. They will imprint to dogs cats rabbits and almost anything.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 7:56:32 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Mach1: What kind of ducks?
View Quote
We beleve it to be a mallard. I sure hope we can keep this thing alive.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 7:59:35 PM EDT
Does anyone else find the nick of hte poster and this topic to be ironic.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 8:00:09 PM EDT
Purina Duck Chow. Ask for it by name. Tell them Johnny Reno sent you.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 8:05:39 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Stormbringer2: Does anyone else find the nick of hte poster and this topic to be ironic.
View Quote
I was waiting for someone to point that out.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 9:16:02 PM EDT
What, no pictures?
Top Top