Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/30/2003 6:08:08 PM EDT
I am on the Board of our gun club. The state police wanted to use our rifle range, with no civvies around that day, for free, and the board let them (I don't support that, they should have to pay the same as anyone else)

All but a very few dumbasses on our rifle range realize that when shooting offhand at 25 yards you should have your targets high on the stands to avoid shooting the 50 yard line holders. The troopers were too stupid to figure that out, and they blasted the shit out of those holders all day. Now they won't pay, and the rest of the board is too scared of them to make a big deal out of it, so they want to take our activity money and pay to replace the 50 yard holders.

At the board meeting someone said formally they were scared of getting stopped if they made them pay for their fuck-up.

I am so glad I am a lawyer. If they don't kill me on a traffic stop or fake no-knock warrant, they have to be more scared of me.

Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:14:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:22:45 PM EDT
[#2]
A hard charger like yourself could do a little pro bono work on behalf of the club if needed.  But I'm willing to bet a pleasent phone call to the SP office where these troopers are HQ'd would resolve the issue.  Just express that your club let the officers use the range as a service to the community at large, but the damage incured to the facility are more then the club can cover.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:23:05 PM EDT
[#3]
They were asked once. The rest of the board is too scared to push it.

I can't lone ranger it when the board decided to shut up and take it, that is why there is a board to decide crap like that--even if they are wrong.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:23:53 PM EDT
[#4]
bummer
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:27:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I suggest you shoot the shit out of the 25 yard holders to keep them from coming back. [;D]
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:32:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Boy I wonder what that rifle club is going to do when those troopers come to take your guns.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:48:25 PM EDT
[#7]
1) I [i]thought[/i] LEO had to pay for anything they got to keep things from looking not-so-kosher...

2) I wonder how they would shoot with no holders down range next time...

3) I bet there is more than one way to skin this cat...
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 7:44:15 PM EDT
[#8]
It's sad that the worst shooters at the ranges are often LEO's, yet they are the most trusted gun carriers by the general public.  If they only knew!
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 7:49:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Our local PD is going to use my range for 20 consecutive Wednesday afternoons.

They only get 2 of our 3 outdoor ranges and the club house.

No use of the indoor range.

They are PAYING $3500 for the use!!

You are getting RIPED OFF BIG TIME!

Oh they also have to truck in their OWN targets and holders..

We get to keep all the brass ( about 40,000 rounds of 40)

Link Posted: 5/30/2003 7:55:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
They are PAYING $3500 for the use!!

You are getting RIPED OFF BIG TIME!
View Quote

Yeah, but in Canadian Pesos, $3500 is worth what; $15 or $20 American?
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 8:01:13 PM EDT
[#11]
I would pursue this. don't let anyone mess up your range and get away with it.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 8:02:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Actually have you see the exchange rates of late??

Besides the point...

We are talking Canadian dollars IN CANADA!

The buying power here is about equal on the whole...

Even if it were a nickel it would be better than nothing.

Not to mention the brass....or is that discounted like the dollar as well somehow?
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 8:03:51 PM EDT
[#13]
So, is your weak kneed board going to let them use the range again?

Your membership paid in several ways:

1.  They were denied the use of the range THEY pay for the day the cops were using it

2.  Now the membership get to pick up the tab for the State Police's misuse of the range

Link Posted: 5/31/2003 3:25:26 AM EDT
[#14]
All that matters is that the LEO's went home safely!!!
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 4:39:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It's sad that the worst shooters at the ranges are often LEO's, yet they are the most trusted gun carriers by the general public.  If they only knew!
View Quote

Wow. I never knew all those holes in the roof of the range house  at the Austin rifle club were put there by police officers.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 7:11:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 7:28:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top