Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/30/2003 9:30:14 AM EDT
I saw a ad for them in HotRod and thought I should look into it.  It looks like they have some Law Enforcement programs that might help me out in the future.

the college tuition would help out a lot, but how much would I get as a salary?

thanks,
greg
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 9:36:28 AM EDT
[#1]
No combat MOS in the Reserves
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 9:38:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote

excuse the ignorance but what is combat MOS?

I thought the reserves went into combat? or do they just run the bases?
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 9:47:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

excuse the ignorance but what is combat MOS?

I thought the reserves went into combat? or do they just run the bases?
View Quote

reserves are all remfs, the guard has infantry, artillery, SF, fighter squadrons (Air Guard) etc...
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 9:56:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Army reserve is just that, FEDERAL army reserve.

National Guard is SUPPOSED to be controlled by the Governor of the state the unit is in unless federalized by POTUS or Congress.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 10:05:06 AM EDT
[#5]
National Guard also is partially funded with State money.  Reserves is all federal.

I believe the pay scales are the same.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 10:09:22 AM EDT
[#6]
note that with the NG, you are far more likely to get called up for action. depending on your "real life" this can be good or bad. if you end up getting "laid off" (as opposed to fired) from your day job because you'r ealways gone, that's not cool. look in the gov't section of the local phone book, call up the closest NG unit, and ask them if you can stop by and ask them real questions.

some thoughts:
there are "permanant" reservists that man the unit full time. these may not be the best peopel to ask. try to go to a unit and ask when the next reserve drill weekend is for the NG unit there and ask if you can attend. i know the army reserve unit i was at would welcome a guest attendance from a motivated civillian. also, the same physical buildings at a "unit" may be shared by multiple entities: Army reserve, NG, or other branches. there are 4 weekends a month...

good luck,
chris
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 10:16:16 AM EDT
[#7]
it shouldn't be a real problem because I am going to school and but I will have to work a couple extra days a week to make up for the missed weekend. but that shouldn't be such a big deal maybe I could just take less units.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 10:20:09 AM EDT
[#8]
School meaning college?
When I was in college I knew several people that were guard/reserves and they all had problems with one or more professors.  The professor might be wrong, legally and ethically, but at the end of the day it's the prof. that's giving out the grade.  Something to keep in mind.
Also, one of my guard friends got called up for something like 2 weeks one year to go fight forest fires.  Think that'll put a damper in your studies?
I think the Guard is "cooler", but the reserves is probably more practical for what you want to do.  Just be prepared to be bored out of your gourd and not EVER touch a weapon of any kind.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 11:38:58 AM EDT
[#9]
My old reserve unit still has 11H and 11B slots open.  Also morter and scouts.  So combat arms do exist in the reserve.  The 100th / 442nd INF is still looking for recruits too.  Sorry we are in Hawaii though.  
During the summers you go places for your 2 weeks.  Got to see Japan and Austrailia and got paid to do it.  When I left I was an E-5 making $300 a week end and they paid my tuition in full.  That was good for college.  I only had to do this and not work a second job.  Granted I didn't live it up as much as some of the other guys.  But I didn't have to ask mom for cash either.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 12:30:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
School meaning college?
When I was in college I knew several people that were guard/reserves and they all had problems with one or more professors.  I think the Guard is "cooler", but the reserves is probably more practical for what you want to do.  Just be prepared to be bored out of your gourd and not EVER touch a weapon of any kind.
View Quote

yeah right now I am going to college for criminal justice.  Anyways is the guard pretty boring the reason I would be joing would be to get military experience and do something a little more exciting.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 12:47:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I guess I was in the "Special" Army Reserves that had Infantry [rolleyes]  Maybe I wasn't really 11B, Maybe it was the Army reserve Psyopps working my brain to THINK I was infantry...
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 1:04:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
School meaning college?
When I was in college I knew several people that were guard/reserves and they all had problems with one or more professors.  I think the Guard is "cooler", but the reserves is probably more practical for what you want to do.  Just be prepared to be bored out of your gourd and not EVER touch a weapon of any kind.
View Quote

yeah right now I am going to college for criminal justice.  Anyways is the guard pretty boring the reason I would be joing would be to get military experience and do something a little more exciting.
View Quote

I was in the guard for 11 years. I have to say most of it was total boredom. I did do some things that were pretty cool.

I would do it again because the money was worth it.

-basic training,AIT
-rifle qualification once a year [:(]
-NCO school was a lot of fun (wargames with miles gear)
-forest fires and floods-not that cool but a change
-NTC-this was one of the worst and one of the best times of my life(huge mock battle in Mojave desert californa).
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 5:51:32 PM EDT
[#13]
The National Guard reports to the State Governors.
The Reserves report directly to Washington D.C.

Please notice that there is no National Guard for the Marines.  Just reserves.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:16:54 PM EDT
[#14]
In the National Guard you can also be called upon to handle prison riots and campus uprisings.  My unit in Ohio trained for that at least every other month.  Many times we would actually go the the Old Ohio Pen and spend the night in the towers and cells.  Creepy  place..
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:22:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:28:24 PM EDT
[#16]
There is no difference. Uncle Sam can command BOTH of them to come and get your guns any time he feels like it.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:35:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Does anyone know if there are any NG infantry units in New Mexico?
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:40:05 PM EDT
[#18]
reserves are all remfs, the guard has infantry, artillery, SF, fighter squadrons (Air Guard) etc...
View Quote

Excuse me but I know of SF and Fighter Wings that are reserve units and would certainly be considered combat units.

Guard units belong to the governor of the state and therefore are subject to his/her whims as to how he uses them until they are "federalized" in a national emergency.  You could be filling sandbags for flood control one weekend and the next weekend you could be washing and waxing his personal car.

If you want to keep the state politics and BS to a minimum, join a reserve unit.  
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 8:15:18 AM EDT
[#19]
I need to look into this can't be as boring as college.

where do you live 1911
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 8:21:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Excuse me but I know of SF and Fighter Wings that are reserve units and would certainly be considered combat units.

Guard units belong to the governor of the state and therefore are subject to his/her whims as to how he uses them until they are "federalized" in a national emergency.  You could be filling sandbags for flood control one weekend and the next weekend you could be washing and waxing his personal car.

If you want to keep the state politics and BS to a minimum, join a reserve unit.  
View Quote

Sorry, I stand corrected. The benefit of the guard over the reserve for me was the tuition waiver for any state colleges here in CT. BTW it does get very boring, in an infantry unit you only get to live fire once or twice a year.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 8:48:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top