Warning

 

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 5/29/2003 10:13:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/31/2003 5:49:05 PM EDT by DrFrige]
This evening I am looking at my dog and her snout looks a little puffy. I think nothing of it. Now as of 11:00 she is scratching a lot and to the point she has rubbed a raw spot on her leg and her muzzle has really started to noticeably get puffed up. She is eating as normal but scratching the shit out of herself. I am taking her to the vet tomorrow AM but if this sounds familiar to anyone...HELP!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 10:25:36 PM EDT
Sounds like hives due to an allergic reaction. Sometimes they will go away in a few hours, but can sometimes linger for days. I dunno what the dosage would be, but the vet will probably prescribe benadryl to ease the symptoms.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 10:33:53 PM EDT
Now there was a dead 'possum on Saturday in my backyard... wonder if that had anything to do with it.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 10:41:26 PM EDT
Just in case, get the phone book out and lookup a 24hr emergency clinic in your area. Go to mapquest for driving directions and plan the fastest route. Imbroglio's guess sounded good so I wouldn’t worry. Good luck. TIP: If no 24hr clinic go to a hospital emergency room carrying your dog. There's always a nurse or doctor animal lover on call that wont turn their back on a dying dog.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 10:43:47 PM EDT
Are you sure she wasnt bit by something? My dog is always chasing bees aroung and getting his snout stung all the time! You would think he maybe would have learned after the first time. Look for an insect bite mark. I hope your dog gets better!!
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 10:44:43 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Imbroglio: I dunno what the dosage would be, but the vet will probably prescribe benadryl to ease the symptoms.
View Quote
If its a large dog, I think its 1/5 of what a man would take.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 10:50:25 PM EDT
there is a high chance that the possum was poisoned, your dog might have been chewing on the dead animal and could have been poisoned too.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 10:53:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/29/2003 10:56:06 PM EDT by DrFrige]
Originally Posted By gaspain: there is a high chance that the possum was poisoned, your dog might have been chewing on the dead animal and could have been poisoned too.
View Quote
Oh Shit. You know they have been putting those poison traps for rats around here. I swear they need to ban those poison traps. F*cking rats eat that crap... then run off into walls and attics to die. Use the snap traps!!! kill them instantly and THATS THE END!
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 10:54:26 PM EDT
I would look for an emergency vet place just in case. If your dog's breathing becomes labored he might be going into anaphylactic shock and it can cause death.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 11:21:27 PM EDT
You can actually give dogs lots of Benadryl without harm. Our 100lb girls get 75mg (three pills) two or three times a day. I would go ahead and give her 50mg. If it is a sting or allergy it will really help. If not it won't hurt. Our puppy was stung in the mouth repeatedly by a yellow jacket and her head swelled up to the size of a St. Bernards. Luckily we brought Benadryl with us and gave her about 100mg. Within minutes her swelling softened up but it took overnight to really shrink down again.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 11:39:33 PM EDT
try calling the clinic even though it's closed. the one i worked at was linked into an answering service with all the other clinics so whichever doc was on call will handle it. i'd try a phone conversation first as the cost of off-call appointments is pretty high.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 11:40:51 PM EDT
This is what happened when my smaller dog got stung. He's 11 pounds and the vet said to give him a whole 25 mg benadryl. He usually gets one a day for allergies anyway. The first time it made him hyper as hell. No problems since.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 11:44:07 PM EDT
Originally Posted By inferno715: try calling the clinic even though it's closed. the one i worked at was linked into an answering service with all the other clinics so whichever doc was on call will handle it. i'd try a phone conversation first as the cost of off-call appointments is pretty high.
View Quote
Thanks. I just did that and they too said it sounds like an allergic reaction. They told me to check the gums...did. they also asked how is her behavior... she is eating and drinking OK I would pay whatever it takes to take care of this dog...YES THE DOG I NEVER WANTED IN THE FIRST PLACE. She's my buddy.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 12:53:49 AM EDT
As per my vet---25mg tabs 1-10lb's----1/2 tab 10-20lb's----1 20-30lb's----1 1/2 30-50lb's----2 Over 50lb's---2 to 3 All 3x daily. This is for allergies. 2 of my dogs have reactions to plants and will swell up like you describe. I weigh 190lb's and if I take 2 benadryl I'm out like a light. My 135lb male Rott will take 8 and still be running around like an idiot...!
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 5:47:52 PM EDT
UPDATE!!! First of all thanks guys. you calmed me down... I didnt know what the hell was going on with my dog. Now she is normal strutting around like the bitch that she is. some sort of allergic reaction. To what I have NO CLUE. a big bite or something she ate or maybe she go into the trash... I dont know. Once again THANKS!
Top Top