Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 5/29/2003 1:29:56 PM EDT
So, I've got this dog. He's an American Bulldog, 3 1/2 years old. Anyhow, he started scratching himself to the point where he bleeds when I leave. I have to put a cone on his head now when I leave, otherwise, he tears the crap out of his ears. This started about six months ago. He doesn't have fleas or anything like that, he's on frontline. My vet says there is nothing that would be causing it - he did tons of tests on him. He said that the only thing left I could do would be to sedate him before I leave, which I really don't want to do. When I am gone, it's never more than for 4 hours at a time (I go home everday at lunch to walk him). He gets plenty of exercise, we go for a two mile walk every night. Any ideas from you guys to help with this? Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 1:38:19 PM EDT
TAKE HIM TO A DIFFERENT VET. There has to be some kind of med for this. I seriously doubt it is some psychlogical form of self mutalation.... -hs
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 1:45:23 PM EDT
Hi Pete. I have a dog that has problems similar to what you described. It turned out that she had allergies. I had allergy testing done on her. They shaved some of her coat and did tests on her skin pretty much the same as they do to a human. I found out what she was allergic to (human dander, a melaluca tree, and a couple of different weeds) and now she gets allergy shots for it. They mixed up the allergens and sent me home with those and big box of syringes. For the first couple of weeks she needs shots every day, then every 10 days for a couple of months and now I'm up to one shot every 15 days. It takes a long time to fully cure the problem, 6 - 9 months they say, but she's been on it now for about 4 1/2 months seems to gradually be getting better. She still has bad days if it's a real windy day or something like that. I had her for about 6 months before she started having these problems so I didn't think they were allergy related. Or I thought maybe it was the food I put her on or something enviromental here that had caused the change. I tried everything, 8 or 9 dog foods, even tried a diet the vet recommended of mixing canned yams with vegetarian refried beans. None of that worked so we did the testing. They say that some times the allergies don't appear until later in life. I had her on steroids for a while to get the scratching under control because they couldn't do the testing until her wounds healed. Some vets recommended keeping her on those for life but it wasn't something I really wanted to do. So far it looks like the allergy treatment is going to take care of all of her scratching problems or at least the majority of it. So that's something you might want to check into. John
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 1:52:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/29/2003 1:54:46 PM EDT by TomJefferson]
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 2:19:34 PM EDT
Tyson use to scratch the tips of his ears with his hind legs until they bleed. Then lick the blood from his rear claws. Then he discovered the tasty ear wax and stopped scratching his ears till they bleed. Wierd eh. Some vets might tell you to give him something to do while you are gone. Such as a toy he can not swallow/choke on. I would go to another vet tomorrow. Jason
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 2:26:09 PM EDT
Pilot4X4: Not trying to hijack this, but your mention of melaluca reminded me of something. We used to have products with melaluca oil in them. My wife started to get a skin rash and she went to the doc. He diagnosed it as a fungal skin infection, gave her something to help with the itching and said it should clear up. I figured fungal, eh? Melaluca oil is a natural fungicide, so I was putting these lotions on her, but it kept getting worse. What to do? More melaluca! She was MISERABLE! She couldn't sleep and finally decided to get a second opinion. Result: Turns out she was allergic to melaluca oil. Sheesh, I spent a looooooong time apologizing for being an amateur doctor!
Top Top