Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 5/29/2003 12:03:21 PM EDT
Which is the more accurate and reliable weapon, the SKS or the MINI-14? Which would be the better weapon for general plinking, occasional dances with coyotes and all around HDR? Thanks for the input and opinions!
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 12:06:08 PM EDT
I own both, but I've only fired the Mini, so my input will be based on half the experience I should have, and a lot on what I've read and can infer. The votes will likely break toward the SKS, simply because it is ultra-reliable, cheap to shoot, cheaper to buy, and similarly accurate. Too bad, because I really do like the Mini. My .223.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 12:09:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/29/2003 12:10:38 PM EDT by fastang50]
I have a mini, had an SKS also for awhile. The mini will outshoot the SKS so if you think you'll do much distance at all I'd go that route. Promag and John Masen both make excellent 10rd mags for the mini. However I've got to say, I'd like to have my SKS back. Cheap ammo and I always liked the 'built in' magazine idea, nothing to loose or break on you. Tough call. edit: both are 100% reliable, I've not had a single problem. Can't say that for my AR.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 12:09:41 PM EDT
my type56 sks (chinese) is very accurate and reliable. ammo is quite plentiful. hunting predators? donno, but seems kinda "big". IMHO, if you want to burn up 7.62x39, get an SKS instead of the Mini-30 (do they still make this?) 223, might go with the mini-14, but I have no experince with them. If you base your accuracy upon the tv show A-Team, mini-14's are not accurate at all [:)]
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 12:16:16 PM EDT
SKS hands down! It's the only system that gives the AK competition in the reliability department. This being said, converting one to use detachables lowers its reliability big time. For accuracy, the SKS is not a disaster area. It along with the AK get a worse than deserved reputation, as their iron sights are basic short radius combat units. Plus, most people feed it cheap combloc ammo. Then the compare the accuracy to an AR shooting high grade stuff. The SKS is difficult to properly scope. Forget about those cheap topcover mounts that rattle around 5MOA. If you had a siderail mounted scope, and fired good quality ammo, I imagine that accuracy would rival a FALs. My personal opinion is that the Mini is outclassed in either caliber. If you want *39, buy an AK or SKS. If you want 5.56*45, buy an AR. Of course, if you live in Cali (I didn't notice), you have no choice, you must buy the Mini.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 12:24:26 PM EDT
With Williams Sights (peep rear and FO front) my norinco goes about 3 inches at 100 yards off front and rear bags with barnul and my old stash of norinco ammo, worse with wolf. It always goes bang.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 12:28:32 PM EDT
My vote is for the sks. Have had a few of both. No mini I ever had has ever shot for shit!! Dinner plate groups at 100yd. was norm. The mini is superior as far as ballistics go, as the sks is essentially a 30-30 semi auto. But it doesn't really take much to do the job if you put the hole in the right place........i don't adhere to the "spray - and - pray" school of shooting.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 12:32:43 PM EDT
I would take an AK over either the SKS or a mini-14. Completely reliable, cheap and plentiful mags.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 12:57:46 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Hellraiser: I would take an AK over either the SKS or a mini-14. Completely reliable, cheap and plentiful mags.
View Quote
If the AK had been an available selection, I'd agree with you hands-down. Especially the high-end AK like the PolyTechs. My pre-ban underfolder is an absolute DREAM to shoot, is drop-dead beautiful, and will feed and fire a brick if asked to. Pretty damned accurate, too!
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 1:15:56 PM EDT
def. the Mini
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 1:19:34 PM EDT
Personally I would prefer the AK myself, but living here in the Glorious Workers Paradise that is the PRK I can't have one. I believe both the MINI-14 and the SKS are legal here so that's the choice I have left to me!
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 2:01:06 PM EDT
the SKS is the better choice: good acuracy.... more reliable... more rugged..... more affordable.... military issue.... the SKS is a combat proven rifle [:)]
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 2:14:16 PM EDT
Some SKS rifles are better than others. My early Russian is very accurate. Not that I've seen a whole lot, but the least accurate I ever saw was Chinese. Had a lot of miles on it as a rancher's coyote gun, but it still wasn't bad. Just not something to win a turkey shoot with.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 2:16:02 PM EDT
... Of course, if you live in Cali (I didn't notice), you have no choice, you must buy the Mini.
View Quote
SKS's with fixed magazines are for sale in California. Century Yugoslavian 5966's for $179.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 2:22:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/29/2003 2:24:39 PM EDT by Papertargets]
I was disgusted with a new Mini 30 that couldn't print on the paper even at the furthest adjustment of elevation. It may have been accurate, I'll never know, I sold it instead of sending it back. SKS accuracy experience is satisfactory. Hit the 200 yard gong more often than not. That's about a 4" spread at 100 YARDS. Fine for the effective range of that cartridge. edited to correct units of distance.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 2:39:10 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 3:08:57 PM EDT
The mini 14 is not paticularly reliable, accurate, or sturdy. Some people have had good luck with them, but for most people, it seems to be a chancy buy. it doesnt scope particulaly well (the ranch rifle is better, but the ring design restricts your choice of scopes and placement), and the iron sights are flimsy and crude When you consider that good quality high cap mags are hard to find and expensive, the mini 14 begins to look like a real turd. It's also way too expensive, considering that you can get an AR-15 for a few bucks more, or an SKS or a 30-30 for half the price.The new Kel-Tec rifle may very well stomp the mini-14 into oblivion. On the other hand, an SKS is super reliable, tough (especially with a good aftermarket synthetic stock), and can be fairly accurate with quality ammo, and some decent sights. The SKS is a poor choice for a scope, it interferes with loading the rifle, and the brass will hit the scope unless you have a deflector which makes loading even more awkward. Ideally someone would build a scout mount for the SKS, like the ones available for the AK and the mini 14. The scout concept is perfect for a midrange round like the 7.62x39. Until then, you can replace the rear sight with a willaims aperature sight, or you can buy a lyman micrometer sight for the reciever cover. this ought to give you a much greater sight radius, although some people have complained about their reciever covers fitting rather sloppily. Mine is pretty solid, so i will probably buy one when i get the chance. If the standard ten round magazine bothers you, twenty round fixed magazines are available as well as detachable magazines with a weird protrusion on them to make them fit. yeah, it's a kludge, but if you want detachable mags, it may be the way to go. Considering that quality mini-14 hi-caps are expensive and hard to find, the fixed ten round mag on the SKS doesnt look so bad.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 4:14:18 PM EDT
I've got both. The SKS is reliable, but a well-maintained Mini-14 is too. Accuracy is about equal out of the box for both, but there is a lot you can do to the Mini-14 to improve accuracy. With the SKS, it's the luck of the draw. Some are very accurate, some are pitiful and most are in between with little that can be done without a gunsmith, other than adding a peep sight, that will help. I've used them both for coyotes with good results, but the .223 is best (soft points). For plinking, it's hard to beat the SKS, they are just plain fun. If you want something to carry around in the truck as a "beater" that wont let you down when you need it, go with the SKS. These days ammo is probably cheapest for the SKS, but .223 is getting down there too, so the cost is probably not as big a factor as it might have been a couple of years ago.
Top Top