Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/28/2003 9:39:38 AM EDT
http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,11869,00.html  
TV's Gay "Bachelor"
by Julie Keller
May 27, 2003, 1:40 PM PT

Call it equal-opportunity humiliation potential.
The Bravo network has taken a pinch of The Bachelor, a dabble of Joe Millionaire-esque fibbing and a few lovelorn homosexuals to produce Boy Meets Boy, a new reality dating series featuring a hot single gay man looking for love. a d v e r t i s e m e n t

The new show, which will bow this July, centers on one man who must find his love match from a pool of 15 fellow singletons. And to make things more interesting than, say, a Trista-Ryan cheese-fest, the network is throwing in a few straight men pretending to be gay to trip up their bachelor.

"I think this will be truly groundbreaking television," executive producer and cocreator Douglas Ross told the Hollywood Reporter. "One of the reasons we decided to take the basic dating format and throw in this twist is that we wanted the show to appeal to a broader audience."

Boy is made up of a six-episode season of one-on-one dates and contestant elimination until the pack of hunks is whittled down to one. Extra correspondent Dani Behr hosts.

So far, complete details are sketchy, but producers have let a few tidbits out of the bag. For one, the Boy in question is a 32-year-old HR exec from Southern California who recently spent nine days in Palm Springs on a whirlwind dating bonanza.

Like The Bachelor, Boy Meets Boy features group meetings and one-on-one dates designed to help its star narrow down his choices.

Bravo has not revealed the number of straight versus gay bachelors who participated (though viewers will know their orientation at the outset). Ross said he is sure viewers, both gay and straight, will be surprised by the results.

"Several of the straight men have very intense experiences," he told the trade paper. "We anticipate a lot of both gay and straight viewers will have their assumptions challenged about what it means to be gay and what it means to be straight."

One thing the network is revealing is its strict TV-intimacy credo: any sexual interaction beyond a lip lock is a strict no-no.

Though producers call Boy Meets Boy "groundbreaking" and the first prime-time dating series that is exclusively gay in scope, this isn't Bravo's first foray into gay-themed programming.

Ross earlier produced a documentary called Gay Weddings for the cable net. Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, a new series teaming fashion-conscious gay men with fashion-disaster heterosexuals, will bow in July, as well.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 9:43:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't even know how to respond to this except to say [puke]
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 9:44:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Please tell me this is a joke!
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 9:46:01 AM EDT
[#3]
What straight guy would pretend to be queer??

CRC
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 9:47:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Do they do a gerbile test to see if they guy is really gay?
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 9:48:30 AM EDT
[#5]
[size=4]ACK![/size=4]
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 9:48:41 AM EDT
[#6]
UGH!! thats.. thats.. gay!! I get 6 channels and one of them is going to be infested with this!  Minus the god channel and the stupid teen shit on 39 and i'm down to the major networks...
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 9:49:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Chuck Woolery must be in orbit. I remember how he used to flirt with all the hot girls who didn't hit it off with their dates.

Man, that guy must have gotten laid more than drywall.

EDITED TO ADD: Vulcan... there's always C-SPAN...
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 9:59:20 AM EDT
[#8]
[puke][puke][puke][puke][puke][puke][puke]

[puke][puke][puke][puke][puke][puke][puke]
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 10:00:51 AM EDT
[#9]
DAMNIT! I'm so sorry guys. It's all my fault. I said they couldn't make the original version any "gayer" and they proved me wrong. I'm so very, very sorry. I take full responsbilty for this travesty in programming.
Maybe next fall they'll do my other idea of just having lots of hot chicks make out for an hour?
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 10:08:51 AM EDT
[#10]
This will NEVER work!   The contestants will all be backstage sucking each other off and forget the reason they are even there.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 10:10:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 10:16:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Maybe next fall they'll do my other idea of just having lots of hot chicks make out for an hour?
View Quote

Well... the Man Show was pretty close... and they CANCELLED THAT ONE!! [banghead]
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 10:16:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Y'all need to read [url=www.mrsdutoit.com/pmach/comments.php?id=652_0_1_0_M]this piece[/url] and see what your children might be exposed to in the name of "diversity."  Read the links, and read the comments.

Pitchforks and torches, indeed.

Link Posted: 5/28/2003 10:18:53 AM EDT
[#14]
[Bravo]Johnny, do you like to watch gladiator movies?[/Bravo]
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 10:20:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
[Bravo]Johnny, do you like to watch gladiator movies?[/Bravo]
View Quote

jesus, not this again please.

have you ever been in a turkish prison?
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 10:25:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Open up the closet door and put them ALL back in. Let then suck each other to death.
When will a cedible scientist finally come out and say that homosexuallity is a birth defect?
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 10:26:06 AM EDT
[#17]
I don't like the idea of a show thats theme song is "Dueling Penises" either.

But this is America for fuck sakes. You dont want to watch it change the channel!
If it were A guy with a tub full of ladies you all would be dying over the wait for it to begin.

I wont watch it, because it makes me sick too. But this is America and either you want things to be equal (even if that means you dont agree with it) or you want a communist state, which is it?
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 10:29:21 AM EDT
[#18]
KBaker... The SCARY article is the one linked from the one you provided....

[url]http://www.city-journal.org/html/13_2_queering_the_schools.html[/url]
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 10:29:30 AM EDT
[#19]
[url]http://reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=entertainmentNews&storyID=2830212[/url]

Bravo Readies Gay Dating Show, 'Boy Meets Boy'

Tue May 27, 2003 05:47 PM ET
By Ben Berkowitz

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - It's the latest twist in reality television: boy meets boy, boy falls in love with boy, and then boy finds out other boy was pretending to like boys in the first place.

Bravo, the cable arts and entertainment channel owned by the NBC unit of General Electric Co., on Tuesday said it will launch "Boy Meets Boy," billed as TV's first gay dating series, this summer.

[b]But as with most reality programs, this one has a hook -- some of the potential suitors are actually heterosexual but were asked by producers to act homosexual.[/b]

"The idea is to have the straight men there to really challenge the audience's preconceived notions of what is gay and what is straight," Kirk Marcolina, the show's supervising producer, told Reuters.

The show marks the latest attempt by Bravo to reach the gay audience that by some estimates represents at least 7 percent of the U.S. population and spends as much as $500 billion a year.

Major networks like Showtime and MTV, units of Viacom Inc., are reported to be working on developing a gay network, following on the success of Showtime shows like "Queer as Folk."

"The gay market is less and less mysterious all the time." said Michael Wilke, the executive director of the Commercial Closet Association, which works to improve the image of gays and lesbians in advertising.

Bravo said "Boy Meets Boy" will feature a leading man who spends eight days on location with 15 potential partners and turns to a trusted female friend to whittle down the prospects.

[b]Marcolina said the leading man, a 32-year-old who works in human resources at a California law firm, finds out halfway through the show that some of his potential partners are straight.[/b]

"We told the leading man and all the guys -- 'We want you to see this as a fun experience, don't look to necessarily fall in love,"' he said, adding that the producers wanted to avoid springing any mean surprises on anyone.

In one such notorious case, a Michigan man, Jonathan Schmitz, was sentenced in September 1999 to a minimum of 25 years in prison after killing a gay acquaintance who surprised Schmitz by declaring he had a crush on the straight man during a TV show taping.

Bravo's summer schedule will also include "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy," a reality series where five gay men from various worlds of style make-over a straight man.

So you're going to set up someone believing that it's a dating/romantic situation and trick them in the worst way?

Whatever you feel or believe about gays, this show is nothing more than exploiting people by creating a bogus situation. Bait and switch with someone's emotions to provide "entertainment" for the viewers.

Sick, sick fucking people that would do this to other human beings (and sick fuckers that would watch to see other people's basic needs and emotions used for "entertainment").

[pissed]
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 10:33:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Whatever you feel or believe about gays, this show is nothing more than exploiting people by creating a bogus situation. Bait and switch with someone's emotions to provide "entertainment" for the viewers.

Sick, sick fucking people that would do this to other human beings (and sick fuckers that would watch to see other people's basic needs and emotions used for "entertainment").

[pissed]
View Quote

I agree 100%
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 10:38:26 AM EDT
[#21]
At least they are pushing the format...

Half the stuff on Bravo and IFC are crap but the other half are great.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 10:41:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 11:10:01 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm going to exercise my freedom of choice and not watch this P.O.S.  
Agree with the above statements about this being exploitive and down right tasteless.

And by the Way [puke]
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 7:39:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
KBaker... The SCARY article is the one linked from the one you provided....

[url]http://www.city-journal.org/html/13_2_queering_the_schools.html[/url]
View Quote
That's why I said "read the links"

And also "read the comments."  A lot of denial going on there.

Connie du Toit is right - townsfolk with pitchforks and torches...
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 7:46:51 PM EDT
[#25]
This is rediculous.
Something in me wishes we could all just go back to the totally anti-pc times of the 50's.
Name one other nation on earth where societies try to trully fag up their kids?
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 8:06:48 PM EDT
[#26]
One of the very few threads that does NOT make me want to say "I'd hit it"...
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 8:15:30 PM EDT
[#27]
I am glad I saw this, so that I can avoid watching that trash.

Like I watch the Bravo Network anyway.

Link Posted: 5/28/2003 8:33:49 PM EDT
[#28]
And we wonder why so many other cultures hate us.....
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 8:46:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 9:01:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

France
Norway
Sweden
Thailand
Half of Latin America
Canada
Germany
Italy
Australia
New Zealand
Denmark

Im pretty sure I am forgetting a few too
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 2:38:59 AM EDT
[#31]
What do you expect?

The TV show is being made in La-La Land.
Fienstein Territory!
The only guns permitted out there is the one inside your pants!
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 3:08:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Come on now,

Don't the TV execs know that we want to see the Women making out.

That would be the show I would want to watch.

Badredfish [devil]
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 4:30:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Come on now,

Don't the TV execs know that we want to see the Women making out.

That would be the show I would want to watch.

View Quote

I remember the first time it was done on network TV. They gave us.... Calista Flockhart and Lucy Lu.

WTF is THAT?!?!?
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 5:08:05 AM EDT
[#34]
[b][i]sigh[/b][/i]

[puke]
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 5:37:42 AM EDT
[#35]
At this rate the next reality show will involve a necrophiliac and several local mortuaries vying for a Million dollars if the necro-batchelor picks their stiff.[xx(]

God, at times don't you just love this country.[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 6:19:05 AM EDT
[#36]
I don't think I would watch necro, but conjoined twins or dwarfism Bachelor would be pretty interesting.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 6:36:56 AM EDT
[#37]
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=10770[/img]

Who watches Bravo anyway?

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 7:00:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 8:16:49 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

France
Norway
Sweden
Thailand
Half of Latin America
Canada [red]<---I don't think so Tim.[/red]
Germany
Italy
Australia
New Zealand
Denmark

View Quote

Which show was it that had the gay guy profess his love for his straight buddy who ended up shooting and killing said gay friend?
View Quote

Jenny Jones
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 9:23:08 AM EDT
[#40]
"...are we rolling downhill like a snowball headed for hell?..", Merle Haggard

Yes, and we are really gaining momentum now.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 10:17:53 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

France
Norway
Sweden
Thailand
Half of Latin America
Canada
Germany
Italy
Australia
New Zealand
Denmark

View Quote

Wow, ya sure that many nations try to promote hemosexuality among their youth?(Like ours)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top