Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/28/2003 8:13:56 AM EDT
With the birth of our first child only weeks away, my wife and I are thinking of investing in our first digital camera.  Posting pics (dinner, injuries, etc.) here is another reason that I'd like to have one.  Since neither of us know squat about them, what should we be looking for - minimum specs, must have features?  I'd like some advice from the experts here and those of you who already have one.  I don't want to just go by what the salesman at the store tells me.  If you know any good sources to purchase one, let me know that also.  Thanks for the help everyone!

AR_Shorty
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 8:22:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Optical zoom is good, digital zoom is not a big deal, it is like blowing up a pic on your computer, it loses definition.  Batteries that can be recharged or batteries that can be easily obtained are a looking point. Also how long they hold charge ( how many pics they are good for) I bought a Cannon S-50 (600$) and am more than pleased, it is small enought to carry on vacation, and can be used for some advance stuff, the only complaint is lag time between pushing the shutter and the picture being recorded, it is not for action or sports pictures. Digital is fun and great, have fun.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 8:27:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Can't go wrong with a Nikon. I have the coolpix 5000 and love it. Things to look for:
1. Megapixels. You want 5 or more so you can print out those nice 8x10's
2. Optical zoom. At least 3x optical zoom. Most cameras advertise 6x zoom (3x optical, 3x digital) the digital zoom is crap and I never use it.
3. Ease of use. Make sure the menues are easy to use for you and the camera is a manageable size, not too big not too small.
4. Accessories. See if the camera you want has a hot shoe for external flash. Makes a huge difference when you take a picture with a speedlight vs. the onboard flash.
5. Media type. Find out what type of digital media it uses and make sure you can afford it. Most media is pretty cheap now. I got a 256MB CF card for $50. It holds 70 5MP images at 300dpi each.

While I have the coolpix 5000, I would recommend the Nikon coolpix 5700. It is basically the same camera as the 5000 with a slightly different body and the addition of 8x optical zoom.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 8:27:34 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd agree with Cyanide.

I have a sony, works great and have taken thousands of photos.

the Optical zoom is very important, get the most you can.

batteries..they eat them up.  My sony came with proprietary battery packs, but they last quite a while (LiIon)

Memory is important too, thats where the pictures go..
more the better.. and if you can remove it, even better.  There are media readers for your home / notebook computers.  Most use a USB interface.

download from camera- somewhat important.  stay away from serial (if they're even still out there)  go with USB (USB2 is better) and firewire is ok, but you need to have a device compatable with them to download.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 8:31:15 AM EDT
[#4]
I would recommend Canon cameras - they take very high quality photos and have a sleek form factor. I also like the media they use to store pictures - Compactflash cards, which IMO is studier than the wafer-like SecureDigital cards, the Memorystick, etc.

The Canon S200 is a good choice - about the size of a cigarette pack wth stainless steel body - it's cool looking. Resolution is at 2.1 megapixels which is okay. Price varies from $229 low to $300 high.

If your budget allows, the new Canon S400 is about the same size, but it has 4 megapixel resolution!

I am partial to camera with steel bodies as they are sturdier to the plastic bodies of other cameras.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 8:31:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 8:40:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 8:42:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 8:46:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 9:02:01 AM EDT
[#9]
I second Paul's comments, especially about the Digital Elph

I have one that I got about a year ago (2 megapixel).  There's a new version with 4 megapixel I think.  2x optical zoom, which is good for snapshots.  Good quality, and tons of exposure options.  Easy menues and setup.  Uses CF cards.  Takes movie clips (AVI, with sound).  The only real weakness to me is the flash is kinda wimpy, so for good pictures, you need good lighting.  It does use it's own rechargeable battery pack, but it lasts quite a long time (I think like 2 hours with the LCD display on..).  

Fits in my shirt pocket, durable (case is made of metal) and the lense retracts and covers itself.  Freakin neat little camera.  I highly recommend for casual photography.  

Link Posted: 5/28/2003 9:06:46 AM EDT
[#10]
I agree with Paul and the Canonites. I went with the Canon G2 and I'm 100,000% please with it even after 2 years. It's a 4 megapixel and it does little avi movies which would be great for you and your new addition.
Do not go over 4megapxlels, there is no reason at all with this camera or basically any other camera.

To find out the REAL DEAL, check out this website... www.dpreview.com which is digital camera review website...Do not buy a digicam without going there first!

The G2 was/is still the best camera they've reviewed for cost vs features vs quality. Do yourself a big favor and go for the G2. I did several months research before I decided on this camera but dont take my word for it, check it out.
www.bhphotovideo.com has great cust serv and good prices and lots of add ons if you want them later.

email me direct for more info if you want.

gilfrd
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 9:11:34 AM EDT
[#11]
You're a team member right? which means you can search right?  Just a sampling over the last 6 months, have at it.  If all else fails [url]www.cnet.com[/url]
[url]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=186982&w=searchPop[/url]

[url]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=182566&w=searchPop[/url]

[url]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=180054&w=searchPop[/url]

[url]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=175304&w=searchPop[/url]

[url]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=169168&w=searchPop[/url]

[url]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=166744&w=searchPop[/url]

[url]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=160126&w=searchPop[/url]
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 9:39:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Great advice.  I completely forgot about using the search feature.  I guess I did ask a question like "which gun is best" and I should have been more specific as to my intended use.  We'll just be using the camera for snapshots of the little one, etc. - no professional stuff as neither of us are into photography.  Besides printing and e-mailing photos, can you get digital pictures developed like those from regular film cameras?
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 9:41:54 AM EDT
[#13]
yes you send them to a photo developer on the web, and they will send you hard copy pics.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 9:58:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 10:03:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
can you get digital pictures developed like those from regular film cameras?
View Quote

Get at least a 3 megapixel camera and spend another $200 on the printer, and you'l be printing 5x7s that 99% of people won't be able to tell are digital.  Just buy the glossy paper.  My HP printer has a special door to feed the smaller paper.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 10:22:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Try the Olympus c-4000 Zoom. It has some of the highest ratings at all of the review sites and can be had for around $350-$400. (on sale at microcenter.com right now for $359)

It is a 4.0mp camera with a 3x optical. It has a small Digital zoom that is something that you will rarely use.

I could not be more pleased with my Olympus.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 10:29:25 AM EDT
[#17]
just picked up a
CANON POWERSHOT A70
last friday.

3.2mp
EXELLENT battery life!
fully automatic, OR fully Manual
15sec to 1/2000 sec shutter speed
3x OPTICAL zoom
up to 3min of 640x480, 320x240, or 160x120 video with sound!
12 pre-set modes.
[b]$250-$300[/b]  IMHO best bang for the buck right now!

It is very easy to use and is good for beginners or even hardcore hobbyists.

it is #1 all around "DAVES PICK" on image recource.com

here is [url]http://www.imaging-resource.com/WB/WB.HTM[/url] a GREAT recource, it has his best picks for all different categories and i find them very well done and informative.  some of the cameras make it into more than one category too.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 10:30:25 AM EDT
[#18]
From what I am hearing, I shouldn't be disappointed if I get at least a 3 megapixel camera.  I don't want to spend a ton of money on something that is way more than I need, but I also don't want to wish I had gotten something better right away.  

BTW - I need a new printer anyway, so I'll definitely take ability to print good looking photos into consideration when shopping for one.

This site rules for being able to obtain valuable knowledge in a short period of time!

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 10:38:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Oh yeah, we all jumped right on telling you which camera to buy, but forgot to tell you CONGRATULATIONS on the upcoming bambino!
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 11:50:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks...we're excited to meet the little one!  I've got some jitters, but I'm sure everyone does before their first child.  July 9th is fast approaching!  If I get my digital camera before then, I can post some pics of our pride and joy.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 11:52:55 AM EDT
[#21]
BTW, I've said it a thousand times, cameras are like guns, the best one is the one you've got with you when you need it. To that end the Canon Digital Elph series are hard to beat.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 12:14:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 1:53:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Here's a great site for researching digital cameras:

[url]http://www.dpreview.com/[/url]

I did a lot of research before I bought my DC last month.  I went with the Canon G3, and baby, it rocks.  It was a little more expensive, but the features and expandability is outstanding.  It has an "Auto" setting, so you can use it right out of the box.  But it also has a lot of manual options what allow for more technical, professional photography, so the camera grows as your skill and knowledge grow.  I would highly recommend the G3!
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 2:40:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Check these prices:  [url]http://www.buy.com/retail/computers/category.asp?loc=225&searchitemnumber=digital%20camera[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top