Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/27/2003 6:41:53 PM EDT
...and I am still pissed off about it today.

Visited Lincoln City, Oregon, this weekend. Turned the vehicle on a side street to turn around just in time to see a man, about 6'4"/250 lbs.,  walk up a flight of stairs to a residential unit then start beating a little dog with magazine he had in his hand then he proceeded to kick the little guy. When he was done hitting and kicking the poor dog he then proceeded to pick him up by the knap of the neck and threw it half way down the stairs. Of course, the whole time the dog was yelping.

I couldn't believe my eyes. What really disturbed me was the fact that this dog was, no kidding, no bigger than probably 5-6 pounds. When the son-of-a-bitch walked down the stairs I told him what a tough guy he was. Got into a verbal spar with the guy and when I told him that he was going to hurt the little fella, he walked away and said, I'm not going to hurt the GD thing."

I tried to go back and tell him if he didn't want the dog I would take home with me but I wasn't able to find the prick again. Don't know how I would have gotten the dog back home to Denver but I would have tried.  

Finally reported the incident to the local PD and Humane Society Abuse Hotline. I don't typically like to get involved in business that is not mine but I was too pissed off and I had to do something - I still can't get the image of the little guy hiding and cowering under a vehicle after the prick threw him down the stairs. The look on the dogs face was awful...

I suppose I feel so attached because of the fact that I lost a little Maltese to my ex-wife when I got divorced last year. I loved that little dog. He only weighted 6.5 pounds and I couldn't imagine abusing the little guy like what I saw this guy do to this poor dog. This has really got me upset. I feel like I should have done more. I wish I could have somehow gotten the dog. Funny thing is that I am a bigtime hunter but I have no tolerence for this BS. I hope the little guy will be okay...
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 6:50:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I think I would have been hard pressed not to intervene.  I have two Yorkies, and the thought of someone treating them that way makes me homicidally pissed.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 6:51:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like the dude was abusing the little dog.

Brick-a-Brats to that asshole.

[img]http://fnhipower.com/images/forum/avatar/071.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 6:53:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Funny thing is that I am a bigtime hunter but I have no tolerence for this BS.

I don't see that as funny myself.  First of all, hunting is population control.  Since the ranchers and farmers killed off the major predators, it is left to the hunter to maintain the population of the former prey.  Failure to do so would result in starvation and disease due to overpopulation and be far worse than that suffered because of the hunters bullet.  therefor, I consider hunting humane.  

Now, for that fat ratbastard abusing this little animal.  I am a dog lover (this is serious, no snide remarks please)  I have had pets for as long as I can remember.  I currently have 3 dogs.  Over the last 8 months I have lost 2 to old age.  Each is considered a part of the family.  I despise anyone that will abuse a helpless animal in such a manner.  I commend you on your relative restraint because I would probably have taken it further.  Hopefully the police will let this guy spend a little time in the greybar to think about his actions.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 7:06:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
...Funny thing is that I am a bigtime hunter but I have no tolerence for this BS...
View Quote

I see no contradiction here.  I usually say to the animal-rights wackos I know, "I want to kill the animal, not hurt it!"  

As a hunter, you have the responsibility to take an animal in the most painless way possible (I don't like to use the word "humane," because that puts the animal on the same level as humans).  In fact, I submit that any hunter that does NOT feel at least a little bit sorry for the taking of life, whether it's a coyote or a 7X7 elk, is not really a hunter at all.

Having said that, I would be more than happy to accompany anyone on a blanket party for the bastard abusing the dog.  I'm glad you got involved; remember, "The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"  (Edmund Burke.)  You may have very well saved the life of that dog.  Another thing--do you honestly think you could look at yourself in the mirror today if you DIDN'T get involved?  I know I couldn't.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 7:12:36 PM EDT
[#5]
One of the few things I truly cannot stomach is the abuse of an animal.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 7:20:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Bravo on your restraint! You didn't let the situtation escalate. Now we'll find that your community cares more about dog abuse than child abuse. Mine does, unfornuately.(that's not to say dog abuse is wrong!)

CRC
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 7:56:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 8:06:26 PM EDT
[#8]
arptspt72,
I have no room for animal abuse whtsoever. Stand tall.

Sorry your visit to Oregon had to have that attached to it. Next time, stop in Hood river and I'll buy you a locally brewed beer, ahhhh the joys of having Full Sail here in town!
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 8:14:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
There is the possibility that it's not his dog. It's an irresponsible neighbor's dog who lets it run loose, perhaps the dog comes over there to harass this guy's cat and shit on his steps. Perhaps that is why he kicked the dog off his property. Or perhaps he just likes to pick on tiny animals.
View Quote

This is very true dave, but you kick the neighbor/owner and not the tiny defenseless dog. Only a coward takes their frustration out on a defenseless animal.

arptspt72
I hope you do the right thing and if you are called to testify you will make the court appearance.

I have 0 tolerance for abuse such as that, I just don't believe I could have held back on that big dumb ass.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 8:25:44 PM EDT
[#10]
5lbs??  That isn't a dog...it's a dish rag with legs!!

Poor animal, pets are just pets but that doesn't mean they should be abused.

Even if it is a dog with "little bark" complex.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 8:40:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Just this spring I had a incident like this happen to me. Me and the wife were staying at the snow king resort in jackson Wyo for the snowmobile hillclimbs with all three of our dogs. The last day of our stay I was alone in the hotel while my wife was shopping, when I heard what sounded like a dog fight, so I looked out the window to see what was going on. There was this guy beating one of his dogs with a skipole and then he thru the other dog into the side of the truck. Well needless to say I flew down the hall in my wheelchair and thru the lobby and out the door yelling call the fucking police.
I confronted the dumbfuck and asked him what his problem was. His response was telling me to mind my own fucking buisness, but thats not what was on my mind so I kept at him. By now the hotel people were outside and a few other people also but I seemed to be the only one confronting him so I kept at it. Well he decides that I am causing him more grief than he expected so he gets in his truck and trys to leave so I decide to get infront of the truck and hang from his grill guard leaving my wheelchair below me. He then gets out of the truck and walks off.

Long story shortened the police show up soon and have a long talk with him issueing tickets and taking the dogs.

It still pisses me of to this day and its been 2 months.

arptspt72 you did the right thing.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 4:48:21 AM EDT
[#12]
You did the right thing.
I can understand you feeling you didn;t do enough, but you sure as heck did more than alot would.

Poor little guy.

Good for you.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 6:21:10 AM EDT
[#13]
If it was my dog he was abusing I would be making calls and swinging a bat.I like animals more than I humans and would hate to see this happen but...
I still firmly believe dogs (cats, etc) are still just animals. If this is his dog then thats his right no matter how screwed up and heartless it is.
Unfortunately making a big deal out of incidents like this helps those with the really far out whacked ideas like PETA. Just like banning guns, use little incidents to start "common sense" laws, later sensationalizing events to push even more draconian laws into play. How long before dogs, cats, weasels and ship rats all get an "Unalienable Bill of Animal Rights"? Like stated above, as a hunter some of you found this abhorrent. How hard will it be for PETA, ASCPA etc to spin this into another anti-hunting (re. animal cruelty) incident?
It sucks and I hate it too but losing your control over this is just another step down the slippery slope that we should all know so well.

editted for too damn many typos
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 11:58:18 AM EDT
[#14]
GaryM,  I disagree with your assertion that the dog is just property.  he may own the dog, but he is also required to take basic care of it like any livestock.  Ethical hunters always try to efficiently kill their prey, so why is abusing an animal you own acceptable?

Link Posted: 5/28/2003 12:13:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Bravo..poor little guy.

3 years ago in my apartment complex I saw a puppy in the bed of a truck.  I was pregnant, it was about 50 degrees outside and it had been drizzling all morning.  I watched closer, saw two dogs in the cab of the truck and yet another puppy in the truck bed.  I called my property manager after about an hour when no one had come out.  I tried to get ahold of animal control but it was no use.  After seeing this for 3 hours I finally told my property manager if he did not take care of it this second I was moving and he could kiss my a$$.  He knocked on a few doors, found the owner of the truck and the guy took the puppies to the humane society.  The renter of the apartment said if he had known that the 4, yes 4, puppies were in the truck bed that whole time he would've told his friend to leave.  Hubby got mad because after the guy got back I knocked on the door... The guy answered and I asked if those were his dogs.. he said yes, I asked if those were his puppies, he said yes.  I proceeded to rant in his face while pointing at him telling him he was a horrible, pathetic excuse for a human being and did not deserve to own animals.  He just kept nodding and saying yes ma'am.  Fat schlub.. I don't even wanna know what happened to those poor baby puppies.  over 3 hours in 50 degree temps with ice cold rain pouring down probably gave them pneumonia.  I don't tolerate animal abuse or public stupidity very well at all!!
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 12:30:13 PM EDT
[#16]
I think you are overreacting a bit.  Clearly, this isn't a good thing, but it's also not an issue to become filled with murderous rage over.

From reading this, some of you seem to need to be able to control your emotions better...

Link Posted: 5/28/2003 2:39:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
GaryM,  I disagree with your assertion that the dog is just property.  he may own the dog, but he is also required to take basic care of it like any livestock.  Ethical hunters always try to efficiently kill their prey, so why is abusing an animal you own acceptable?

View Quote

I don't think abusing an animal is acceptable. I believe it to be a moral/ethical issue and as such should not be legislated. By making these incidents into a big deal you are only providing fuel for the animals rights activists. Is this what we want? I do not think dogs/cats are the moral equivalent of humans. I do not think the punishment for harming them should be the same as harming a human.  
In case, if you see a person beating an animal should you beat that person in return? Or would that be assault?
I also hunt, I try to make clean kills. But is shooting an animal inhumane? Many people think so. By this standard (shooting/killing) an animal would be abuse and as such should be outlawed.
Recklessly beating/abusing an animal for no reason is not a good thing. However, as with many other things prohibitions against this can lead to the typical legal twisting and judicial activism that will (and already has in many places) be the end of our sports.
Just my opinion, take it for what it is worth.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 2:39:51 PM EDT
[#18]
our domesticated animals have the minimum rights to clean water, proper nutrition, adequate shelter, and regular veterinary care...we took them in , it is our responsibility to provide for them - don't have an animal if you cannot provide for any of the above...

as far as hunting is concerned - we also have a responsibility to maintain an appropriate ratio of predators to prey - we have done a great job in screwing up our ecology so that hunting is necessary...i don't hunt, but there is a need for responsible hunters to control certain animal populations...

"cruelty" as defined by the State of Florida means any act of neglect, torture, or torment that causes unjustifiable pain or suffering of an animal.

arptspt72 - this would qualify as cruelty in my book...

Link Posted: 5/28/2003 2:46:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
our domesticated animals have the minimum rights to clean water, proper nutrition, adequate shelter, and regular veterinary care...we took them in , it is our responsibility to provide for them - don't have an animal if you cannot provide for any of the above...

as far as hunting is concerned - we also have a responsibility to maintain an appropriate ratio of predators to prey - we have done a great job in screwing up our ecology so that hunting is necessary...i don't hunt, but there is a need for responsible hunters to control certain animal populations...

"cruelty" as defined by the State of Florida means any act of neglect, torture, or torment that causes unjustifiable pain or suffering of an animal.

arptspt72 - this would qualify as cruelty in my book...

View Quote

Excellent points and well taken. Many people believe all hunting, trapping etc. would fall under "cruelty" as defined by the state of Florida though. That is what I would like to avoid.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 3:02:46 PM EDT
[#20]
What do ya'll think of people training dogs using E-collars? How about twisting an ear if its needed?

Funny thing is...the folks that criticize my methods are usually the same people who's animals run off, always seem to be in the road, bite people, chew everything up, jump up,
and basically don't have any sense or manners.

Ironic, no?
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 3:49:58 PM EDT
[#21]
GaryM - yes - it is an extremely subjective definition of "cruelty"...that's the problem with trying to create and enforce laws that are inherently on a variable "gray scale".

i don't want to see legalized and responsible hunting prohibited because some idiot does not see the necessary population control that is actually creating a better situation...i'd much rather see several deer culled from a herd so that the ones remaining can survive on the food available to them than to see an overpopulated habitat be demolished with a bunch of mangy, sick, thin deer - alive, but ain't living so well...is that "cruelty"? i would consider it neglectful if we were to allow the rampant overpopulation of not only deer, but cats, dogs...

as a veterinarian - my job is to promote and help to provide QUALITY of life for animals...
i could go on about this stuff forever, won't bore everyone here...but i feel that the level of quality of health and welfare of the animal community influences our society in many ways.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top