Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/27/2003 5:31:01 PM EDT
Please tell me that these people are NOT living on the same planet as we are.  Please?

[url]http://www.rochesterdandc.com/news/0522story5_news.shtml[/url]

PETA upset over treatment of fiberglass elephant

By Jeffrey Blackwell
Democrat and Chronicle

[img]http://www.rochesterdandc.com/news/images/0522story_news5_1.jpg[/img]

Alka Chandna, campaign manager for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, and Greg Baum, a member of Animal Rights Advocates, apply a shackle to a fiberglass elephant Wednesday. PETA claims that the organizers of Animal Scramble tried to suppress its message about cruelty to circus animals by delaying the display of the elephant. [Day in Photos]

(May 22, 2003) — Animal Scramble has a politically problematic pachyderm.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals is upset with organizers of Rochester’s latest parade of decorated fiberglass animals. The group accuses organizers of trying to suppress its message about cruelty to circus animals.

PETA officials say Out Front Productions delayed placing its elephant near Blue Cross Arena at the Community War Memorial until the Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey Circus closed May 11.

PETA, a national animal rights organization, created a weeping elephant carrying a banner on its back emblazoned “Step right up! See shackles, bullhooks and loneliness.” PETA members placed a shackle around the elephant’s leg Wednesday.

“We really want to get across that idea, and because Out Front Productions decided to be a gatekeeper for the citizens of Rochester, we weren’t able to do that,” said Alka Chandna, a spokeswoman from PETA’s headquarters in Norfolk, Va. “We are disappointed and currently contemplating suing them.”

Howard Jacobson, managing partner of Out Front Productions, which oversees the project, said the allegations are untrue.

Jacobson said six animals were placed behind the Blue Cross Arena on the walkway overlooking the Genesee River on May 13, including PETA’s “Elly Wanna Be Free.”

“Blue Cross Arena asked us, when they agreed to have animals placed, to wait until after May 12, because of all the traffic and all the events going on down at the arena,” Jacobson said.

Out Front officials had decided two weeks before installation to place the elephant at a suburban location because the message needed to be changed and they weren’t sure it could be done on time.

Chandna said Out Front asked them to change a word in the inscription from “whipped” to “loneliness.”

Once the issue was resolved, PETA’s elephant was slated for the arena, Jacobson said.

“We discourage political statements, but we felt that design was appropriate and we were able to accommodate them,” he said.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 5:38:45 PM EDT
[#1]
IBTL
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 5:41:19 PM EDT
[#2]
[?]
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 6:03:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
IBTL
View Quote

[>:/]
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 6:04:45 PM EDT
[#4]
No fiberglass animals were harmed in the taking of this picture [:)]
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 6:58:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I have to say I'm a member of PETA. People Eating Tasty Animals. I guess they need to feel good about something. I, however, feel good sitting against a tree in November with my M70 across my lap or in a duck blind in January with a cup of coffee and a couple of Mallards at my feet. I can't wait until fall.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 4:36:52 AM EDT
[#6]
[b][i]sigh[/b][/i]
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 8:10:22 AM EDT
[#7]
The stupid shall be punished
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top