Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/27/2003 4:00:08 PM EDT
Well i hope not anyway. Anyone know what might cause a computer to not turn on? I know the power cord is good, i know the power is running through it. But what i don't know is why the thing won't turn on. It worked sunday and never got turned on on monday. I'm out of ideas and so i hope that someone here might have some ideas to pass along.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 4:02:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Power supply?
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 4:04:17 PM EDT
[#2]
how'd you post this?
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 4:12:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 4:14:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I know the power cord is good, i know the power is running through it.
View Quote

you're going to have to supply more info.  ok, the power cord is almost certainly good unless you cut it or your dog chewed on it.  i mean, it's solid state.  but your power supply, as ponyboy suggested, is a definate point of failure on an older machine.

so how do you know power is running through it.  lights light up momentarily?  fans rotate once of twice and then die?  cause that is almost certainly an indication that the power suppy is tanked.

open 'er up, write down the wattage you are currently using.  buy another of equal or greater power.  remember how the original was plugged and put the new one *exactly* in its place.  it's a simple, modular unit, so reinstallation shouldn't be too big of a job.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 4:37:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know the power cord is good, i know the power is running through it.
View Quote

you're going to have to supply more info.  ok, the power cord is almost certainly good unless you cut it or your dog chewed on it.  i mean, it's solid state.  but your power supply, as ponyboy suggested, is a definate point of failure on an older machine.

so how do you know power is running through it.  lights light up momentarily?  fans rotate once of twice and then die?  cause that is almost certainly an indication that the power suppy is tanked.

open 'er up, write down the wattage you are currently using.  buy another of equal or greater power.  remember how the original was plugged and put the new one *exactly* in its place.  it's a simple, modular unit, so reinstallation shouldn't be too big of a job.
View Quote

You can try this. I would. But if your computer is old enough to be AT then the power supply to your motherboard is going to have two connectors with only one row of wires. And the ATX is going to have one connector with two rows. Make sense?

Well if it does good. Because if it is AT when you plug your power supply back into the motherboard make sure that all the black wires are together or in the middle of the connector.

Hope I didnt confuse you.

KC
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 4:40:19 PM EDT
[#6]
basics...try the power switch in the back//sometimes the switch//button upfront has a loose solder/connection
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 4:47:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Ok i know it's not the cord because if i plug the cord into the monitor the monitor will turn on, So it's got to be something inside the computer, When I hit the power button nothing happens, no lights, no fans, no noise. And the power switch in the back doesn't exist, I got the computer back in 97, so it's old as far a computers go. And i'm posting from my parents computer. I'll check some more stuff and get back to ya'll.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 4:53:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Might be at...

Is your power button momentary (there is a spring somewhere) or is it a switch taht get thrown somehow?

Sounds like at least a bad psu to me, asssuming that everythign is pluged in.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 5:46:34 PM EDT
[#9]
if you decide to get a new PSU  and can wait a few days(as opposed to running out to store to buy new one), this one's a nice bargain:
http://store.yahoo.com/amamax/psspecial2fnlp6100e.html

Although it cost just $8 a couple weeks ago when I got mine (same one).

edit: might also want to try unplugging the power to reset the PSU if you havent already done so (sometime a short somewhere will require re-plugging). Also check your power stripper (perhaps the surge protector fuse was set off?)

edit #2: if that machine has a AT power supply, go on pricewatch.com and find a new one of those types. Not sure what kind of psu you have. Actually, if its a PC from '97, i'd just trash the thing and get a new one, but thats just me.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 5:55:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ok i know it's not the cord because if i plug the cord into the monitor the monitor will turn on, So it's got to be something inside the computer, When I hit the power button nothing happens, no lights, no fans, no noise. And the power switch in the back doesn't exist, I got the computer back in 97, so it's old as far a computers go. And i'm posting from my parents computer. I'll check some more stuff and get back to ya'll.
View Quote

did you plug the cord back into the computer after using it for the monitor?

Anyways, if you aren't seeing anything lightup or move, it's most likely the power supply. This morning my MP3/webserver wouldn't turn back on after the power company momentarily didn't fufill the contract, I still am not sure what it was, since I'm more of a software guy, but did you try unplugging everything, blowing any dust out of the inside that might be insulating connectors that shouldn't be insulated, and make sure you discharge all static electricity before and while you're in the box. Most likely, sounds like a Power Supply problem. I have found that it is usually the same price or cheaper to just buy a new case(w/ power supply).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top