Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/27/2003 1:38:14 PM EDT
I have a question. I know for a fact that life has hard times. I also know that many people here are going thru it, some have made it out, and others have not yet.

Right now, I just can't bring myself to get back what I once had. I can't bring myself to get down to work - stop beating around the bush and dig into it. I don't know, its just like, if I see a paper that is in front of me, I just can't seem to do what is on it, no matter what I do. But that is wrong to me. I don't believe that it can't be done.

What I want to know is, how have some of you gotten yourself out of a situation like this? What motivated you to change things? What was the spark that turned things sweet? And for any of you who think I've gone mad, let me assure you that I have not... :) At least not completely.... ;)

I just need a little help and advice on how to make things right again. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 1:42:38 PM EDT
[#1]
i'm laid off from my job. went from $3-400/wk to pretty much nothing.  everything in the paper as far as jobs go sucks.  i won't work at a restraunt, or a hotel, or a group home.  i turned in a few applications for shitty jobs and didn't even get those.  geez.  good thing it's fishing season or i'd be depressed!
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 1:46:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 1:50:05 PM EDT
[#3]
If you have a truck, you have a job.  Go get some cleaning supplies, and start hitting the local realtors.  They always need someone to clean homes to be shown, or better yet, if they run (or find) a rental management company.  Find out what they pay their usual cleaning people, and under cut them, but you get to keep what ever is left over in the house/appartment to haul off.  You'd be surprised what people leave behind. and then sell it at a yard sale or just put it in your yard with a for sale sign.  My wife's uncle started doing this and brings in $500 - $1000 extra a month on just selling the junk....

Why is it a Korean or Pakastani imigrant can come to this country with nothing and then within two years own a store and drive a BMW?  Maybe it's the "I don't have anything to loose, because I don't have anything" mentality that they start with.

The American dream is still there, you just have to find it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 1:55:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey, Inferno, I will say that I don't have much to complain about, as you have it worse than me. But I have a suggestion. You must like rifles, right? Why not seek out a job with an arms company such as Fulton Armory, Bushmaster or something else?

Paul, thank  very much for the idea. Up until this point, I have had little motivation. Now that idea is going thru my head like a lightning bolt. See how much, and how well you REALLY can do it... Yeah, that's not a bad way to operate at all, is it?
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 1:55:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Im not sure what your exact situation is, but it will get better, Time really does heal all wounds. About 3 months ago I got home to find my girlfriend of 4 years in our bed with another guy. It was so unexpected, I trusted her completly. My entire life was shattered in an instant. In one minute my life went from being completly normal and comfortable to absloute chaos.  I lost my girlfriend, my home, my cat (well our cat, she kept it, but I got the dogs,) and most of my stuff in the course of a few minutes.  to top it off the company I work for decided to take my company car that week.
I didnt think I could put the peices together and go on.  But I am starting to and it gets easier every day.

What Ive learned is that you cant just mope around feeling sorry for yourself.  When that happens you just dwell on the pain and it only makes things worse.  You have to make yourself get up out of bed every day and make things happen no matter how hard it is.  I hope things turn around for you.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 1:58:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks, MAHABALI. It seems to me that I have nothing to complain about at all. So many of you other guys have it 10X harder...
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 2:00:07 PM EDT
[#7]
You people need to think outside the box. This is the time for you to find out what you really want to do with your life...and then do it. Don't grovel and beg for a shitty job in the newspaper. Sure, look for a job that pays the bills, but do lots of things outside of work that will make yourself marketable.

As for me, I am still employed, but my work is not interesting (to me). I want to be a filmmaker...so I am taking the steps toward that end. It's what I want to do. (I'm an architect right now).
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 2:04:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Right now, I just can't bring myself to get back what I once had. I can't bring myself to get down to work - stop beating around the bush and dig into it. I don't know, its just like, if I see a paper that is in front of me, I just can't seem to do what is on it, no matter what I do. But that is wrong to me. I don't believe that it can't be done.

What I want to know is, how have some of you gotten yourself out of a situation like this? What motivated you to change things?
View Quote

I've been there several times over the last 2 years.  I'm not sure what got me into it or what exactly got me out of it.

Some things I can suggest is:
Join a gym and start to work out.  Losing weight always motivates people.  If you are one of the few people who doesn't need to lose weight, bulking up has the same result.

Find a new hobby and learn everything about it.  If shooting is your main hobby, learn how to shoot in competitions, reload...ect

Get someone new in your life.  Male or female, relationship or just a friend.  Knowing that someone else is watching what you do, motivates you to do better.

These are things that have contributed to getting me out of those types of moods.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 2:07:45 PM EDT
[#9]
What works for me is setting short-term and long-term goals.
I know it sounds like it came straight off an Oprah show, but it does work.  

It's not that different than developing a business plan, and that's kind of how you have to think about it.

There is no "spark", or overnight gratification,  but you will get to your goal if you work at it in manageable steps.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 2:09:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 2:20:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I am looking to join the Marine Corps, so that's a good start! Hehehe

Well, as to bulking up, that could be done. I'm 5' 11", 145lbs. soaking wet.... Former track and ski team member, but that SHED weight more than anything else...

Thanks for the tips guys. I owe you all a drink at the local bar. One of these days...
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 2:30:27 PM EDT
[#12]
i was going to check out dpms as they are somewhat near me when they were hiring.  they were so swamped at their table i didn't want to bug them about it.

i've been in worse situations before.  my car is paid off and i'm still living at home (in my early 20's) so i have enough cash to pay my bills/food and then sell crap on ebay to make up the rest.  i'm seriously missing my toy money though.

the spot i'm in is my GF has one year left of college and then might go to gradschool.  i'm going to try and find something that doesn't suck around here within that year and if not definately consider relocating.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top