Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 3:09:52 PM EDT
[#1]
My grandparents gave me their 1972 Pinto Wagon 6 months before my 16th birthday.  My grandfather drove it from CA to FL to give it to me.  I paid for everything else: insurance, gas, repairs, etc.  I kept it for 16 years and sold it for $500 with 183,000 miles on it.  I learned a lot about about cars (from rebuilding brakes to rebuilding engines) from that car.  I miss it terribly.  Everything after that I paid for with my hard-earned money.
As for college, I paid for it, along with a small scholarship.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 3:23:18 PM EDT
[#2]
my dad was nice enough to score me a job bagging groceries when i was 15. hmmmmm... about $1.65 an hour iirc. bought my own well used '72 toyota corrola. they would have if they could have, just no money. i'm oldest of 7, no college tuition money either, i joined the work force like a lot of others. looking back, they did their best and we all made it out ok.

edited to say that the car cost $75. hey, what the heck, it ran for about a year.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 3:32:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 3:45:49 PM EDT
[#4]
In 1984 I was 14, my parents bought me an '81 Chevy pickup.  In late 1985, they bought me a '73 Ford Maverick, metallic olive. It had 23,000 miles that an old lady had put on it.  I tore that one up. Sometime in '88 my dad bought me an '86 Mustang.  I drove that until late '93 when they bought me a '94 Ranger.  There's more of a story here, but I feel like sh&t and ain't getting into it.

TS
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 3:58:58 PM EDT
[#5]
NO!  I had to work and buy whatever I wanted.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 4:01:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 4:02:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes, they gave me a gift
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 4:10:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Graduated in 2000, folks got me a fairly run-down '68 Mustang.  Damn thing is falling apart faster than I can fix it.  Folks wont let me garage it and it is rusting out from underneath me.  Thanx Mom and Dad
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 4:28:52 PM EDT
[#9]
During high school, my parents paid for gas and gave me the keys to the two family minivans (Mom's car was her own; my Dad, brother and I shared the two minivans), with the warning that if I wanted a car of my own, I'd have to pay for everything except insurance.

Last year (sophomore year of college), I decided I wanted a vehicle as summer was approaching and at that time my brother, dad and I were still sharing vehicles and all had different things to do on weekends; but since I was too busy with college, I told my parents to keep an eye out for a 4x4 SUV for a reasonable price.  They found one that had everything I wanted ('94 Chevy Blazer with Tahoe package and power everything for $5000), I approved, they signed a check to buy it and then wrote another check to their checking account from my college account for the same account.

I dont know which catagory that falls under, so I voted for they didnt pay.

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 4:38:15 PM EDT
[#10]
03 F250 XLT Crew Cab 4x4. $30,500 of the lot. My gas is free.

Conditions: I work for my dad this whole upcoming year, and pay for half of the truck. I got a  really good deal.

And all I asked for was a loan so I could buy a used ranger. Dad says thats not safe enough for any son of his.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 5:28:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Back in 1977 I was studying to be a cop. Vancouver P.D. was having a vehicle sale.
My dad said that since I was going to be a police officer, I should have a police car.

So he bought me a 197? AMC Matador Pursuit car for $500. With a 401 V8. Damn it was sweet. Never got pulled over. I think the cops thought it was still one of theirs.

Anyways I had to make payments. Needless to say I was not making too much money, what with going to school full time. But I still paid my dad every Friday.

Then after having the car for 2 months, I came home from school (I had drove the pick-up that day) and my car was not there. My dad meet me on the porch. Told me that he had needed some money and had sold my car.

Told him since I hadn't paid him off, the car was still his.

ED
edited for skeling
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 6:06:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Nope, dad was the town drunk, when he was home we never had anything, when he was gone mom fended for us reasonably well. He tended to disappear for years at a time then just show up like he was returning from the store.
I started working at 11 and pretty much paid my way since. I worked hard for everything, and tend to take care of things because they came hard.
And for all you whiner's I don't hate my mom for anything, she made the best of a bad situation. Some of the whining on this thread is hilarious. Straight up, nobody owes you anything, be grateful for what you do get and quit thinking  that your life is done because you actually have to work for what you have.
My intention was for my son to earn his own car, but the ex thought we should buy him one. I bought him a 6 year old Honda Civic that we refurbished, repainted new tires etc. It was totaled within 3 months, despite a lot of time spent with him behind the wheel and also in driver Ed. It took him about 6 cars to figure things out and actually keep one intact. We kept contributing something each time to help him out.
I'm sorry that I did it, I  think that he would have learned a lot quicker if he had to fend for himself earlier on.
Good kid, but somehow we bred all instinct for driving ability out of him, and his lessons came hard.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 6:15:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
03 F250 XLT Crew Cab 4x4. $30,500 of the lot. My gas is free.

Conditions: I work for my dad this whole upcoming year, and pay for half of the truck. I got a  really good deal.

And all I asked for was a loan so I could buy a used ranger. Dad says thats not safe enough for any son of his.
View Quote

I will probably get jumped for this but:

That is fucking rediculous!
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 6:34:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
03 F250 XLT Crew Cab 4x4. $30,500 off the lot. My gas is free.

View Quote

View Quote

You will get jumped for it. I know that many kids dont get stuff for free, but I am tired of people saying that because they had it bad when they were kids so should everyone else. My family has money, whoop dee doo. I dont ever bitch anyone out for being poor. If someone is wearing a cheap shirt, i keep my goddamn mouth shut. But everybody who didnt have shit thinks they have a right to say something. I get shit all the time for my truck. If a kid I meet drives a Nissan, I still tell him its a nice truck. At least they dont owe $14 thousand dollars. I didnt ask for that truck. I didnt even ask for A truck. I was looking for a nice used ranger, and my dad told me I was going to start with something better. His company bought it, and he got a very good deal. It cost him only a little more than a nice used truck, and I can use it when I haul equipment for him. I get my gas free because I drive 50 miles a day, minimum, and its all to school and back, and he pays my school expenses.

BTW, I knew I was going to get flamed for my post, but I dont give a damn. Its the truth, you guys were wondering, so there it is. If it helps you to know, my brother's cost $37k.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 6:51:14 PM EDT
[#15]
dont worry about it jack, working for your dad...........i know just how that is.  norman however, hasnt ever worked for family, or is just pissed because you have it better than he did.  lets remember he's the same guy that thinks everybody under his mature age of 27 is just a kid.  the essence of maturity in itself, im sure.

you take what you have and you make it work.  he sounds like a liberal touting class warfare.

and rain..........i havent seen one person on this thread bitch about what they had, even the guy with the theoretical 79 pinto with 4 different tires on it is damn glad it got them from point a to point b.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 6:51:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

You will get jumped for it. I know that many kids dont get stuff for free, but I am tired of people saying that because they had it bad when they were kids so should everyone else. My family has money, whoop dee doo. I dont ever bitch anyone out for being poor. If someone is wearing a cheap shirt, i keep my goddamn mouth shut. But everybody who didnt have shit thinks they have a right to say something. I get shit all the time for my truck. If a kid I meet drives a Nissan, I still tell him its a nice truck. At least they dont owe $14 thousand dollars. I didnt ask for that truck. I didnt even ask for A truck. I was looking for a nice used ranger, and my dad told me I was going to start with something better. His company bought it, and he got a very good deal. It cost him only a little more than a nice used truck, and I can use it when I haul equipment for him. I get my gas free because I drive 50 miles a day, minimum, and its all to school and back, and he pays my school expenses.

BTW, I knew I was going to get flamed for my post, but I dont give a damn. Its the truth, you guys were wondering, so there it is. If it helps you to know, my brother's cost $37k.
View Quote

Ah, I love it when the spoiled little rich kids cry.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 6:59:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
 norman however, hasnt ever worked for family,
View Quote

From what I've seen "working" for family involves very little "working" and a whole lot of "benefits".

or is just pissed because you have it better than he did.
View Quote

Norman couldn't care less who had it better OR worse.  However, what Norman thinks is rediculous is that any idiot would hand the keys to a $30k truck to a kid.

lets remember he's the same guy that thinks everybody under his mature age of 27 is just a kid.  the essence of maturity in itself, im sure.
View Quote

Actually, since you're so good at math, I'm 28.  And since you obviously never grasped the point of any of what I have said previously about the influx of little kids into this site, I'm not going to waste my breath trying to explain it to you now.

you take what you have and you make it work.  he sounds like a liberal touting class warfare.
View Quote

And so, you hereby lose the argument, if there ever was one.  Calling someone a "liberal" has got to be the most pathetic attempt at namecalling that gets tossed around here.  My problem is not with people that earn their money (as I'm guessing Jack's father did), it's the rediculous way they raise their kids.  Read Atlas Shrugged, from what I've seen Jack is far more James Taggart than Dagny.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 7:17:54 PM EDT
[#18]
First car was a 1969 Mustang Mach1.  Parents bought it, and paid for all gas and insurance.  Their parents did the same for them when they were 16.  The way I look at it, I'd have been an idiot to turn it down, since they were able and more than happy to get it for me.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 7:41:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Unlike Combat_Jack, I plead the fifth.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 8:01:12 PM EDT
[#20]
My parents baught me a brand new 93 accord at the time I graduated from High School.  The flip side was that they had gambled my college fund away at vegas.  Oh well.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 8:15:06 PM EDT
[#21]
My first car was a 197? Grenada.

My sons first car will be a 1965 Corvette I'm rebuilding.(Interior and performance mods)
I hope he'll appreciate it 10 years from now when he gets his license. If not, then I'll buy him a [i]Chevette.[/i]
Until then I'll enjoy it.

It's not a showpiece car, numbers don't all match. Although it looks and runs like one.
So all you Corvette nuts can relax.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 8:27:26 PM EDT
[#22]
In early 99 my parents rust bucket 85 Ford Ranger Died hard. - It had blown a head gasket and they had been babying it along using it for only short hops the the grocery store and the like. Then it had a major electrical issue that fried the Alternator and Regulator and a few other things.

They gave up on it and bought a used 98 Mazda 626.

So the Ranger is just rusting away in the driveway and they are considering donating it to Goodwill for the tax write off. The truck  looked like crap.  Both front fenders had damage and that FoMoCo paint was falling off all over. The interior was mint perfect and almost everything else worked fine.

I ask for it at that point and they were happy to be rid of it. - I flew out there, went to Sears and flashed the AMEX for a pile of tools and spent the next week and a half giving it a full go over.

It was "car" #4 for me (not going to start counting motorcycles & ATV's) and my first Pickup. - Currently it is my daily driver since my Honda Accord is on the verge of throwing a rod @ 256,000 miles.

This was the only vehicle of all of them that I received from my parents. I thank them for it, and the fact that they had not given me one before.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 8:46:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

Ah, I love it when the spoiled little rich kids cry.
View Quote

I aint crying. I find it interesting that you make judgements about me so easily. It took me until today to figure out that you were an ass. Do you know how I make my money? I cut bricks and pick up trash. Sometimes I get to work on a jobsite, stacking blocks and mixing mortar. I must be more responsible than you were at your age. With the story that started this thread, there is some merit to that arguement.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 8:51:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
 norman however, hasnt ever worked for family,
View Quote

From what I've seen "working" for family involves very little "working" and a whole lot of "benefits".

or is just pissed because you have it better than he did.
View Quote

Norman couldn't care less who had it better OR worse.  However, what Norman thinks is rediculous is that any idiot would hand the keys to a $30k truck to a kid.

lets remember he's the same guy that thinks everybody under his mature age of 27 is just a kid.  the essence of maturity in itself, im sure.
View Quote

Actually, since you're so good at math, I'm 28.  And since you obviously never grasped the point of any of what I have said previously about the influx of little kids into this site, I'm not going to waste my breath trying to explain it to you now.

View Quote

And so, you hereby lose the argument, if there ever was one.  Calling someone a "liberal" has got to be the most pathetic attempt at namecalling that gets tossed around here.  My problem is not with people that earn their money (as I'm guessing Jack's father did), it's the rediculous way they raise their kids.  Read Atlas Shrugged, from what I've seen Jack is far more James Taggart than Dagny.
View Quote

I dont know why you have the redass for me, I never did anything to you.

BTW, I have not crashed or damaged my truck. I drive responsibly. 15k miles without incident. If you have any evidence that I am unsafe, I would like to hear it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 8:52:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 8:56:29 PM EDT
[#26]
well i didnt bother reading the thread because im sure its full of the "hell no! and anyones parents who pays for their kids car are dumb bastards!" blah blah.

My car right now is a hand me down we've always had, 1991 Isuzu Rodeo. Ive spent Id say about 2,000 fixing it up and what have you. It really takes the pressure off of having a car or insurance payment. They gave me the basic and if I wanted better Id have to fix it up [:)], which I did. I was pissed off the first time I was forced into getting a job, and it made me no better. When I wanted toys for my car, I had to buy them so it was an incentive to work.
I think if people are financially able, they should buy cars for their kids. But if they want extra shit or start getting speeding tickets, its up to them to keep it going.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 9:16:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Yes.  In 1978 my parents gave me my dad's 1969 Simca 1118 because he had just purchased his very first brand-new-off-the-lot vehicle, and I had just turned 16 and gotten my driver's license.

The insurance agent told my dad "New driver + new vehicle = very, very high insurance.  Put the Simca in his name.  Save much $$$."  

They did.

Wasn't much of a car, but it ran.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 11:48:26 PM EDT
[#28]
My dad never even taught me how to drive.
I think he was afraid that I'd leave and never come back if he did.
So, even though he promised me a car, a truck, a jeep, and all these great things, he never
followed through.
I wonder if he just told me that shit to make me hang around, or if he just lied to me.

Link Posted: 5/27/2003 11:52:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Started working under the table at 14, and got a real job at 16.  Bought my first car from my father for $1000, and proceeded to pump about $3000 out of it.  First and only time a car salesman screwed me!!!  I got a funny story about that.  I was a 17 year old girl who knew absolutely NOTHING about cars back then, and this one leaked oil and coolant like you wouldn't believe, I had to add both to it every few days.  When it finally died on me, I bought a newer, better car.  Only problem was, I didn't have to put oil or coolant in it every few days, so after about 5 weeks, I took it into the shop to have my mechanic check it out.  I was really worried, I thought that putting oil and coolant in a car was like gas, you had to do it every few days!  My mechanic, Karen, couldn't stop laughing for about 10 minutes in order to explain to me that cars weren't supposed to act like that!!!  I swear, I have never had such a dumb blonde moment before or since!
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 7:13:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 8:09:16 AM EDT
[#31]
My ole man paid cash, an chrged me the going used car interest rate (about 12-13% at the time) but he did let me out of the last $500 or so as a graduation gift.

It really opened my eyes and taught me the reality of paying interest on a loan, and the need to maintain good credit.  He siad if I was ever late for a payment to him, he'd get the keys, and sell it if necessary. I never found out if he was bluffin...

Probably the best lesson he ever taught me.
I have spotless credit to this day, and have him to thank for it!
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 8:18:43 AM EDT
[#32]
not sure how to vote..

I was shopping around for a car, my dad gave me his old one when he bought a new one. (trade in value wasn't that great)
sure, I guess you could lable it as a "gift".
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 8:24:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Not really.  I paid for it, but I had to put it in Mom's name since I didn't have a license at the time. [:D]
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 9:23:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My LONG term recent-ex-girlfriend on the other hand was handed a Brand new Acura on her 16th B-day, with a gas card. (spoiled girl!) and when she graduated highschool, she got a brand new 4-Runner handed to her, + she got to keep the $ from the sale of her acura. AND her dad bought her a $250,000 house!  She gets a Yacht when she Graduates college, (next year)

I hate her.
View Quote

Am I the only one who sees a problem here? Why is she your ex-girlfriend? Awaiting the nasty details...
View Quote

'prolly cause her Mom and dad told her to DUMP him.... Could be they wanted MORE for there daughter then some crumb-bum blue collar Loooooooooooser! [nuts]

First car..... 55' Studabaker......
View Quote

poop on you....... DRU!
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 3:47:47 PM EDT
[#35]
[LOLabove]
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 4:13:34 PM EDT
[#36]
I drove a wonderful old red 1969 F100 during my last year of high school. You could hear me coming a mile away! I learned how to drive a standard on that truck. I don't think they make "three on the tree" trannys anymore!

TT [wave]
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 4:28:38 PM EDT
[#37]
1964/'56 Chev Bel Air Cost? Too long ago to remember.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top