Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/27/2003 6:36:46 AM EDT
[url]http://www.thetimesonline.com/articles/2003/05/27/news/top_news/df92d11115d8abd086256d33000e9ee2.txt [/url]

CRC
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 6:54:49 AM EDT
[#1]

Dont think that dick is speaking for all Law Enforcement Officers in Indiana. He is the Sheriff. An elected position.

He dont speak for me!

Link Posted: 5/27/2003 7:03:38 AM EDT
[#2]
"Our officers are under gunned," he said. "We don't have comparable weapons to deal with the potential destruction these weapons have."

The troopers coalition has many members who belong to the NRA, and who use guns for hunting or for sport shooting, Perry said.

"But you don't need an AK-47 to hunt deer," he said.

ONE. the hell they are undergunned. One of our local PD's uses mini30 as patrol carbines, the average drug dealer, street punk, gangbanger at least in my neck of da woods has never seen touched or fired an AK, AR, Galil, G3 the most i've ever see one have was an SKS with a fixed 10rd mag. They prefer small compact handguns and pistol gripped pump shotguns. How do I know, because I see it, and hear it from them. TWO. The 7.62X39 has ballistics just under a 30-30, and with it's short 16in barrel and a 5or10 round mag the AK makes a great sub 100yard heavy brush, drive gun for deer hunting, how do i know this because thats what I use MY AK for.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 7:06:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
"Our officers are under gunned," he said. "We don't have comparable weapons to deal with the potential destruction these weapons have."

The troopers coalition has many members who belong to the NRA, and who use guns for hunting or for sport shooting, Perry said.

"But you don't need an AK-47 to hunt deer," he said.

ONE. the hell they are undergunned. One of our local PD's uses mini30 as patrol carbines, the average drug dealer, street punk, gangbanger at least in my neck of da woods has never seen touched or fired an AK, AR, Galil, G3 the most i've ever see one have was an SKS with a fixed 10rd mag. They prefer small compact handguns and pistol gripped pump shotguns. How do I know, because I see it, and hear it from them. TWO. The 7.62X39 has ballistics just under a 30-30, and with it's short 16in barrel and a 5or10 round mag the AK makes a great sub 100yard heavy brush, drive gun for deer hunting, how do i know this because thats what I use MY AK for. [/quoDang!

You mean someone out there actually uses a Mini-30 for something besides a door stop?
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 7:07:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Why are so many elected officials and law enforcement officers either stupid or damned liars?
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 7:09:51 AM EDT
[#5]
n addition to working to renew the gun ban, Perry said the trooper's coalition has set its sights on preserving a federal program set to expire later this year that provides half the funding needed to purchase body armor for police. The goal is to extend the program through 2007.

Not all police officers have protective vests, he said.

There also is a need to provide updated gear considering the vests have a life span of five years and the older equipment is not so effective against newer weapons, Perry said. This latter point is another argument for renewing the assault weapons ban.

"The vests officers wear will not stop those rounds," he said.
View Quote

Older vests don't work against "newer" weapons?  So a 1945 M1 Garand is less effective than a new Ruger 10-22?????

Renew the AWB = Cops vests become effective.

Damn they are Stuopid.  
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 7:11:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Indiana State Police 1st Sgt. Dave Bursten was the only officer contacted who did not feel strongly about the need to continue the gun ban.

He believes its impact has been minimal and those who want to commit crimes with these types of weapons will do so whether the ban is in place or not. The law is there for charging purposes once someone has been caught in violation.

There are already enough gun laws on the books, Bursten said.

"All we need to do is enforce what we have," he said.

--------------------------------------------------------

From the same article.

Marvl, who elected those dopes? That's right "the people". Maybe you should talk to "the people".
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 7:21:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Yes, the only street cop they contacted disagreed with the politicos.

Surprise! Surprise!
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 7:29:20 AM EDT
[#8]
"The vests officers wear will not stop those rounds"

Hmmmm. Has there been a rash of Indiana cops getting gunned down by AWB weapons?

Link Posted: 5/27/2003 7:43:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Why are so many elected officials and law enforcement officers either stupid or damned liars?
View Quote

They do whatever it takes to get elected again..

Link Posted: 5/27/2003 8:06:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Clearly what we need is a constitutional amendment restricting the vote to conservatives only. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 8:17:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Marion County Sheriffs Department just changed the their policy on officers carrying ARs in their vehicles.  They used to only have a limited number of department issued dissipator ARs.  Now any officer can carry one as long as he procures it.  They won't be undergunned in Indy.  Not that we have much problems with AWs in or near the city.  Just more politician wannabes mouthing off.  That is also northwest Indiana, which is awfully close to Chicago.  
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 9:34:38 AM EDT
[#12]
The Indianapolis cops seem cool when it comes to guns. They said they liked my Glock when I used my CCW last New Year.

If these are NW Indiana cops, you gotta remember that NW Indiana is nothing like the rest of the state.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 9:44:49 AM EDT
[#13]
"The vests officers wear will not stop those rounds"

Guess what?  Most issued body armor is not rated for anything other than pistol ammo!  Won't stop a 7.62x39, sure as hell won't stop grandpa's .30-30.  

I agree that police deserve better equipment for the job, but there's got to be a better way than to hide behind a cosmetics law.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 9:56:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Someone needs to remend these officers all over supporting the AWB of the ruling in the Kalifornia appeal.

The appeals court there said that the ban was legal, but that there was no rational basis for an exception that lets law enforcement have guns  after retirement.  In other words, once you're no longer a cop you're limited just like the rest of us schmoes.  

It seems that if this gets addressed, there may be a change of heart in terms of Law Enforcement.  One of the Anti's tactics has been to divide an conquor.  They let the cops keep their rights, so we lose a huge contingent of potential support.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 10:28:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Marvl, who elected those dopes? That's right "the people". Maybe you should talk to "the people".
View Quote

Yes, and in this great democracy, the people are standing behind the president in his campaign promise for reasonable gun control. THIS IS NOT THE TIME FOR DISSENTION. We must all stand together so mr. bush can once again be sworn in as president.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 10:46:06 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm risking being stoned to death but...I can see their point

::ducks 'n runs off to hide::
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top