Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 5/26/2003 8:55:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/26/2003 9:08:06 PM EDT by M4_Aiming_at_U]
My SUV has the metal screen like filter(not the paper filter) in its AT. My engine has 65k and I wanted to change the ATF fluid early. Do you think I need to take the pan off and change the screen filter? Or can I just change the fluid? Thanks for your help!
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 9:16:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/26/2003 9:18:34 PM EDT by Zardoz]
As long as you ensure the screen is really clean, you can re-use it. Btw, does this transmission actually have a drain plug? All the ones I had, there's no drain plug; you have to drop the pan to drain the fluid.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 9:17:31 PM EDT
At 65K, I'd probably just change the fluid (ALL the fluid, with a full fluid flush). Strongly consider using synthetic ATF. It will outlast mineral-based fluid several times over. My favorite brands are Red Line and Amsoil.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 9:22:54 PM EDT
It's always a good idea to drop the pan and have a peek inside. Most newer cars/trucks have a magnet bonded to the bottom of the pan to catch metallic debris and worn friction material... It's a good idea to wash this crap out, and flush the filter/screen. It's OK to re-use the filter as long as it is a screen type and you wash it out good... You probably won't have to replace the pan gasket either. Many newer vehicles are using a captured O-ring/plastic gasket. With only 60k or so on it, it likely won't need much attention... A flush-n-fill will suffice in a pinch...
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 9:25:00 PM EDT
filters are cheap, transmissions are not. I change mine
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 9:26:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/26/2003 9:28:54 PM EDT by M4_Aiming_at_U]
Originally Posted By Zardoz: As long as you ensure the screen is really clean, you can re-use it.
View Quote
Well, there isnt anyway I can be sure with leavinf the pan on.
Btw, does this transmission actually have a drain plug?
View Quote
Sure does!
Originally Posted By Skibane: with a full fluid flush)
View Quote
Is that an additive or you mean take it somewhere to be powered flushed?
Strongly consider using synthetic ATF
View Quote
Oh hell yeah. I use synthetic fluids everywhere. From the first oil change I have been using Mobil 1. That is rteally the best damn Oil out there! Hell I even have synthetic GUN OIL made by Castrol! So, I will use the Mobil 1 fully synthetic ATF fluid.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 9:28:06 PM EDT
Ok, so I change the filter. What kind of sealent do I use with the gasket?
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 9:31:04 PM EDT
The only silicone sealant that's worth a shit is (IMHO) the red high-temperature stuff.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 9:37:12 PM EDT
NO SEALANT !!! NO SEALANT !!! You will GUARANTEE a leak if you put shmutz on the gasket... Make it CLEAN and DRY. DO NOT overtighten the bolts, you will smash the gasket. Trust me, I've built more trannys than I can remember... NEVER goop the gasket.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 9:46:07 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Dragracer_Art: NO SEALANT !!! NO SEALANT !!! You will GUARANTEE a leak if you put shmutz on the gasket... Make it CLEAN and DRY. DO NOT overtighten the bolts, you will smash the gasket. Trust me, I've built more trannys than I can remember... NEVER goop the gasket.
View Quote
Ok, so the black "asphalt" gasket that comes with a new filter, goes on dry? Thanks for telling me. I now know I would have fucked it up!
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 10:00:57 PM EDT
Originally Posted By M4_Aiming_at_U: Ok, so the black "asphalt" gasket that comes with a new filter, goes on dry? Thanks for telling me. I now know I would have fucked it up!
View Quote
The problem is that the silicone won't stick to that black gasket. All it does is make the gasket slippery and push out around the bolts. Only time silicone is effective is on thin paper gaskets. (like the water pump or T-stat) Even when I build engines, I only use the silicone to fill gaps where cork meets rubber, or at the front/back of an intake... Just get a coupla cans of "brakekleen" and make sure the gasket surfaces are clean and dry. Make the bolts "tight" but don't kill them. You are tightening them into aluminum and it WILL strip. Snug them first, then go over them a few times. The gasket will compress to a point, then beyond that it's "squashed" and useless. If you overtighten the bolts, you also run the risk of "squashing" or deforming the pan at the bolt holes. Just keep in mind, you only need to hold oil in, not pressure. Auto trannys are all vented.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 7:56:24 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 12:59:25 PM EDT
Yeah, I guess i will just replace the filter along with the fluid like you all say. The damn filter and gasket for my 2001 Nissan Xterra 4WD is $30! it uses 9 quarts of fluid too, the Mobil full synthetic stuff is $5 a quart. But tis all worth it to me. Thanks for all your help fellas! [beer]
Top Top