Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/26/2003 6:18:04 PM EDT
Selling one of my other properties to buy a tract of land in Virginia for hunting/cabin getaway. I noticed two ads online that stated: "roadway on land deeded in"....

Many do not say this. However, they have obvious pictures of "roads" cut through the trees, or road frontage to a state maintained hwy...

Was wondering if this is something I should be asking about or should I just not worry about it?

One other house was built about 400ft from a fork of the Shenandoah River, the description says "clean up by the river" to be performed by the buyer....any idea if a bulkhead is needed on the bank of a river?

Advice from real estate (land brokers) or real estate lawyers is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ed
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 6:54:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Even if it doesn't have a road on it, make sure you have some type of right of way so you don't buy something you can't access.  Can't help on the river question.  We are searching for 5-15 acres up in the Lincoln NF in NM right now.

Jim
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 7:18:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Even if it doesn't have a road on it, make sure you have some type of right of way so you don't buy something you can't access.  Can't help on the river question.  We are searching for 5-15 acres up in the Lincoln NF in NM right now.

Jim
View Quote

If I'm not mistaken, there are some real estate laws that prevent someone from being landlocked.  I think it's easement.  Say that you own one square acre and I own all the land around yours.  I am required by law to allow you access to it.  Beyond this, we need a good real estate broker or attorney.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 7:30:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 7:34:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 7:48:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a friend who is selling about 40 acres in a charming rural area here. The price is about $200K per acre, parceled out in 2 acre lots. But you're looking for 70 acres. The 40 is a steal though. Once the houses start going up the land is going to skyrocket, so if you're interested you might want to make your move before the contractors' bidding war starts.

TT [wave]
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 6:13:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have a friend who is selling about 40 acres in a charming rural area here. The price is about $200K per acre, parceled out in 2 acre lots. But you're looking for 70 acres. The 40 is a steal though. Once the houses start going up the land is going to skyrocket, so if you're interested you might want to make your move before the contractors' bidding war starts.

TT [wave]
View Quote

Thanks for the offer.

Actually, 50 is my minimum...quite honestly I have my eye on a few 100+ acre parcels.  Further, it is never my intention to subdivide nor develop.  I already live in the most populace county in my state and would rather have a place to get away to...

I think the other two rental houses we own here has given me enough flavor for being a residential land owner.  Luckily, I mostly get military families who are stationed at Ft. Belvoir or the Pentagon.  They don't ever trash the places...
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 6:25:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Shivan,
 I'm looking into renting my home out, hopefully to military tenants. The property is about 5 mins from Ft. Eustis (VA) so it should be an easy deal. Can you give me any tips on renting to military folks? Do you list your homes with base housing? thanks. (no hijack intended)
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 6:44:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Shivan,
 I'm looking into renting my home out, hopefully to military tenants. The property is about 5 mins from Ft. Eustis (VA) so it should be an easy deal. Can you give me any tips on renting to military folks? Do you list your homes with base housing? thanks. (no hijack intended)
View Quote

Initially, we utilized the little Belvoir newsletter that goes out to the folks on base, while cross "listing" it with the SGT who handles on/off-base housing. I went to the base uniform store and PX and found that there was this little flyer type newsletter and found the number of the office.  Once we got our first Major in there, it was all by word of mouth after that...especially since we were priced under market to specifically cater to the military folks.  

You will also specifically need a "military clause" in your contract to allow them to be able to break the lease upon transfer to another facility.  They usually know this about 3 months or 4 months in advance, but the clause I used states we need 30 days notice and a copy of the orders, as well as a CO phone number.  I have only had one who had to bail -- luckily I also wanted him gone so it was no big deal.  He was also the only enlisted guy I ever had rent....we priced the rent at what a typical Captain or Major would get as a housing allowance.

If you know what the housing allowances are you are one step ahead of where I was when I started this with my Dad a few years ago...we had to get on the FAS website and figure it all out...you may be able to prod some of the guys here to find out the rate.

HTH...
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 6:56:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Ed-

I'm pretty familiar with this stuff. We should do another Wednesday shoot and we can discuss in the post-action review.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 7:07:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ed-

I'm pretty familiar with this stuff. We should do another Wednesday shoot and we can discuss in the post-action review.
View Quote

Since I've decided this is a reality, I have retained a lawyer, luckily he is also the guy I usually use for drawing up docs for me and my dad anyway.

He is pulling up some of the specific VA code that would apply to easements and rights-of-way.  He said I would be wise to find a property that has at least one "piece" of the parcel touching a state maintained/owned road.

Sounded like what I wanted to hear anyway -- so I am going with that.....[:D]
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 7:12:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 7:14:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So is this going to be the official AR15.com Virginia Farm (ie Hun Farm)? [:D]
View Quote

Might be in the future...you never can tell.

[nana]
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 2:58:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

TT [wave]
View Quote

Why is it so expensive? I've seen land for $1,000 per acre, maybe $10,000 per acre, but $200,000 per acre? That seems insane. (The "K" does stand for thousand, doesn't it?)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top