Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/26/2003 1:20:39 PM EDT
Am I correct that they are both from the SAME ship, and went "missing" at different times?

What is going on? Was there a storm at sea or something?
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 1:28:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep, two sailors from the same ship are now missing, presumed overboard.

Sounds kinda'....um....unusual.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 1:32:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I can see the one guy goin' in the drink chasing a football, but the E-6?  Something is weird about that.  I hope he wasn't suicidal.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 1:34:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I can see the one guy goin' in the drink chasing a football,
View Quote

You can?  I'd let it go and just buy a new one.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 1:37:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't think it's too unusual for someone on a cruise this long to commit suicide.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 1:39:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By raven

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can? I'd let it go and just buy a new one.
View Quote

[LOLabove]
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 2:26:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I don't think it's too unusual for someone on a cruise this long to commit suicide.
View Quote

Interesting, but I don't see a sailor taking  a chance that the 6 story fall won't knock him out allowing his to drown in peace.  Seems like a guy would find a faster way to check out than possibly tread H20 for 3 hours until hypothermia or exhaustion sets in.  

Now if some person(s) threw him off the ship, that makes sense.

Link Posted: 5/26/2003 4:03:31 PM EDT
[#7]
[navy]It was a homosexual suicide pact[/navy]

The Navy seems to think that saying somone was a queer covers every incident from murder to equipment failure and excuses them from making any further investigation...
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 4:21:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The Navy seems to think that saying somone was a queer covers every incident from murder to equipment failure and excuses them from making any further investigation...
View Quote

Well, NIS tried that with the Iowa incident. It ended up with a fired Admiral and NIS getting rebuilt from the ground up.

That doesn't fly today.

It's also kind of strange that you came up with that considering that no one else had even hinted at that being the cause of the disappearance.  Gotta grudge with the Navy?
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 5:14:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Interesting, but I don't see a sailor taking  a chance that the 6 story fall won't knock him out allowing his to drown in peace.  Seems like a guy would find a faster way to check out than possibly tread H20 for 3 hours until hypothermia or exhaustion sets in.  

View Quote

If the ship is clipping along, odds are, depending on where they went over, they got sucked into the propellers any how. Ya wouldn't suffer long.....
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 5:17:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 5:18:42 PM EDT
[#11]
shoved overboard by ahkmed probably
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 8:27:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Well, NIS tried that with the Iowa incident. It ended up with a fired Admiral and NIS getting rebuilt from the ground up.

That doesn't fly today.

It's also kind of strange that you came up with that considering that no one else had even hinted at that being the cause of the disappearance.  Gotta grudge with the Navy?
View Quote

Yeah I do, and the [i]Iowa[/i] case is the cause.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 10:05:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

You can?  I'd let it go and just buy a new one.
View Quote

I didn't say I would do the same thing!  I just meant that, in a momentary lapse of spatial awareness, someone could go over the side because they were focused on the ball and not the deck.  Darwin strikes again.  But I feel for the guy's family and shipmates.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 1:05:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Two off the same ship has my eyebrows raised.
View Quote

Mine, too.

Sounds like it could be some kind of get even.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 1:17:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Had a warrant officer murdered and thrown overboard on a cruise I was on.  Not outside the realm of possibility.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 5:39:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

That doesn't fly today.

View Quote

Yeah I do, and the [i]Iowa[/i] case is the cause.
View Quote

Okay.

By the way, that was fourteen years ago.  Not as though it was yesterday.

My $.02
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 5:44:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

If the ship is clipping along, odds are, depending on where they went over, they got sucked into the propellers any how. Ya wouldn't suffer long.....
View Quote

Could be any number of reasons.

1) Sailor went outside the skin of the ship  after dark and stepped where he shouldn't have.  Sailor falls overboard and nobody notices.  (almost did that trick myself)

2) Sailor's wife drops a figurative bomb (divorce, infidelity) on Sailor.  Sailor decides he isn't worth it anymore and takes a dive.

3) Sailor is still hiding on the ship.  It happened on an Atlantic based ship a couple of years ago.  Big air-search rescue - whole nine yards.  Sailor was just hiding.

Could be any number of things.

Link Posted: 5/27/2003 5:50:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

That deep blue water calls ya.  I don't care what anyone says, it becons, and I ain't now, nor ever was I suicidal.  Just something about it.  It looks inviting...it's wierd.

Scott
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 5:54:50 AM EDT
[#19]
The Navy is still looking ON BOARD for the E-6.
Could be hiding until they get in port...then try to sneak off in civilian clothes or another shipmates uniform, or slide overboard in port.

Financial troubles? Legal troubles? I don't know. But it seems they think he is still alive if they are looking on ship still.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 10:13:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I can see the one guy goin' in the drink chasing a football, but the E-6?  Something is weird about that.  I hope he wasn't suicidal.
View Quote

I keep thinking about the scene in "Hotshots", where the guy on the carrier goes overboard chasing a football!
Life imitates art?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top